Dressing up the Anderson Chains

Foy_Mirna

I got tired of seeing my Anderson hitch chains looking rusted and I knew paint was only going to be temporary solution.  I considered replacing the chains with plastic/rubberized covered chains but found a lower cost option.  I used Techflex Flexo Clean Cut 1 1/2-Inch Braided Cable Sleeve, in black - 10 Feet.  Amazon sells it for $8 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VT09LS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2184.jpg.thumb.jpg.1ff14e1f7a945449082d3018c087ff12.jpg

The 10 foot length is perfect to cover both chains in my case.  It cuts clean with scissors and the ends can be burnished with a lighter.  You can still see through the braiding to make sure you have no twisted in the chain and it only took a few minutes to put on over the chains.  I used tie-straps braided through the last chain links on both ends to hold them in place.

IMG_2183.jpg.thumb.jpg.54b175d94d943a8da068b370384ef679.jpg

• Thanks 7
  • Like 3

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators

You da man!  I've cleaned and spray painted mine each year before I put Twist into storage for the winter.  However, it appears that your idea will save me that time and effort - THANKS!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, curious to know if the covers have worked longer term. Ours tend to rust even when kept off the ground so I am wondering if these just prevent you from seeing the rust as it would seem to me that the sleeves would not seal the chains from humidity and they would still rust? I was thinking of plasti-dip spray but that would likely be messy with links partially “rubber welded” at their junctions. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

• Moderators

Yep - these "chain covers" are actually a mesh.  Therefore, they are certainly not sealed from the elements.  If your chain was rusting before putting these over the chains then they will still be rusting when you take the covers off (if you ever do that).  However, you will not see that rust and the covers are easily cleaned with a strong stream of water and/or a light brush.

Bill

p.s.  My cover don't look any different than they did the first day I installed them a couple of years ago.

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Foy - 

Its been bugging me now for the better part to two years - get rid of those nasty galvanized shackles of yours and replace them with nice stainless steel ones!☺️

https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-Stainless-Shackle-Anchor-Recovery/dp/B01CGYYQ7K/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=stainless+steel+shackles&qid=1615680988&sr=8-5

Caution - check the size before ordering.