Another Bike Rack Idea

2pedallers

On 6/8/2020 at 3:46 PM, Susan Huff said:

Just received this from Jason at Oliver regarding our 1UP 2-try bike rack loaded with two Specialized bikes.  (Bike rack weighs 50#; bikes approx 35# each)

"It weighs too much for our recommended specs" (100#) "I hate to say that because I’m 230lbs and can dance on the rack, but that’s what we have the rack rated for. It is 5/8 inch aluminum"

100# is pretty useless.  Moot point, anyway, since their bumper receiver is 1 1/4".  I guess we'll be looking at other options for carrying our bikes  

That just sounds like an excuse to buy lighter bikes!  😀

• Thanks 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Retrax and one other manufacturer makes a tonneau cover with T-slots built-in. Makes it easy to install a roof rack from any manufacturer. I have Yakima towers and bars with 1UP roof trays. At least one other member of this forum has the same type of set up. This puts the bike rack above the bed of the pickup. My towers just click off making the rack easy to remove when it is not needed.

Advantages: Bikes are up away from road grime and spray, better protected.  Easy to moditor as they are not hidden behind trailer. Will not affect towing and tongue weight with the trailer. Disadvantage: Roll up cover takes up a foot of cargo area in the bed of the TV. Makes getting stuff out of the bed more awkward.  You have to work around the rack when installed.   

Currently the rack is in my shop so I can't send you a picture of it installed but can send a picture of the cover with the bases in the T-Slots. Oh the other hard part is getting my wife darn e-bike up to the rack and on. 

Since when does one need an excuse to buy another bike. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

2 hours ago, ThomB87 said:

Retrax and one other manufacturer makes a tonneau cover with T-slots built-in. Makes it easy to install a roof rack from any manufacturer. I have Yakima towers and bars with 1UP roof trays. At least one other member of this forum has the same type of set up. This puts the bike rack above the bed of the pickup. My towers just click off making the rack easy to remove when it is not needed.

Advantages: Bikes are up away from road grime and spray, better protected.  Easy to moditor as they are not hidden behind trailer. Will not affect towing and tongue weight with the trailer. Disadvantage: Roll up cover takes up a foot of cargo area in the bed of the TV. Makes getting stuff out of the bed more awkward.  You have to work around the rack when installed.   

Currently the rack is in my shop so I can't send you a picture of it installed but can send a picture of the cover with the bases in the T-Slots. Oh the other hard part is getting my wife darn e-bike up to the rack and on. 

Since when does one need an excuse to buy another bike. 🙂

We have the 1up hitch rack.  I'm going to have to check and see if it can be adapted to rail mount.

Is the cover difficult to remove if for some reason you need the entire bed to haul something in.  I'm thinking my husband's motorcycle which takes up the entire length of the 8' bed.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

https://retrax.com/retraxone-xr 

Susan, The cover would be difficult to remove but it could be done. Better choice would be to have a device that allows you to use the tailgate as part of the bed. Also I have a  regular one up rack on the back of my wife's Subaru. The roof racks are similar to the trays on hitch rack. But when I checked 1up does not have a kit to convert them for that use. 

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

2 hours ago, ThomB87 said:

https://retrax.com/retraxone-xr 

Susan, The cover would be difficult to remove but it could be done. Better choice would be to have a device that allows you to use the tailgate as part of the bed. Also I have a  regular one up rack on the back of my wife's Subaru. The roof racks are similar to the trays on hitch rack. But when I checked 1up does not have a kit to convert them for that use. 

Thanks for the info.  We love the 1up rack and are hoping it will fit between the pickup and the trailer using a receiver/ball hitch adapter.  From measurements given us by Oliver, it appears it might work.  As for a tonneau cover, we are looking at the Bakflip because it can be folded to leave the entire bed open.  Waiting to purchase a cover until we have our Oliver and can determine whether the 1up rack will work as we hope.  Otherwise, we'll need to figure out something different.  We might also need a way to carry kayaks in addition to bikes, if we decide to replace our inflatable kayaks with hard shell.  The more toys you you, the more complicated it gets 😕

• Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg