Supposing ....

Being new to all this RVing stuff, one spends time supposing things.  Wondering if many of these suppositions are fair and accurate, maybe some of you will weigh in on them as I (or others) think of them and list them in this thread.

Supposing you are pulling your Ollie and decide you need to go shopping and fill up on some items.  It seems to me that pulling into and out of all entry ways of shopping centers and maneuvering down parking isles would be too hard.  Thus, do you always go find your camping spot, disconnect, and only then attempt errands and shopping?  As opposed to pulling in with a 30' motorhome or even shorter truck camper?

Are good headphones a must when camping so as not to disturb neighbors when watching TV late at night?  How quiet is it to those outside your Ollie with windows opened and closed?

In the EII single bed model, when using one bed as a couch, is the other bed close enough to use it like an ottoman, putting your legs up across the aisle?

Why don't they use the same pedestal style table with hole in floor between the single beds like they do in the regular floor plan?

Is there not a plug from truck to trailer to charge batteries when driving while pulling trailer?  And if so, wouldn't just starting and idling truck always be a way to charge batteries while camping, I suppose replacing a generator?

Speaking of generators, like the small Honda often mentioned on here, wouldn't the easiest way to run one be simply connecting to outside propane connector, so as not having to deal with large cans of gasoline?

What reason is it that not every RV is equipped with an instant on demand continuous hot water heater like a Truma?

I'm assuming there is a good water filter that filters all water in entire coach?

Is leveling your Oliver the biggest chore when arriving at nightly sleeping spots, and is that always/usually necessary?

enough for 1 post.  Thx 4 any/all replies.

If you ever see me, simply pretend I am not there.

Supposing you are pulling your Ollie and decide you need to go shopping and fill up on some items. It seems to me that pulling into and out of all entry ways of shopping centers and maneuvering down parking isles would be too hard. Thus, do you always go find your camping spot, disconnect, and only then attempt errands and shopping? As opposed to pulling in with a 30′ motorhome or even shorter truck camper?

Depends on where you're going.  If it's a WalMart or something similar with a large parking lot, then we'll just stop by on the way.  If it's someplace smaller, then we'll camp first and then go.  

Are good headphones a must when camping so as not to disturb neighbors when watching TV late at night? How quiet is it to those outside your Ollie with windows opened and closed?

The Ollie insulates noise very well - it's something you'll appreciate when you have noisy neighbors.  We like to have music going while we cook and eat, and I'll open the curbside window so that I can hear outside.  You have to get it pretty loud inside even then to be able to hear the music too far away from the trailer.  But you'll want a nice set of noise cancelling headphones if you ever want to watch TV with the AC going.

In the EII single bed model, when using one bed as a couch, is the other bed close enough to use it like an ottoman, putting your legs up across the aisle?

Definitely.

Why don’t they use the same pedestal style table with hole in floor between the single beds like they do in the regular floor plan?

If you want a nice Dakota fiber granite top, two legs, and some mounting plates, I know a guy.

Is there not a plug from truck to trailer to charge batteries when driving while pulling trailer? And if so, wouldn’t just starting and idling truck always be a way to charge batteries while camping, I suppose replacing a generator?

Sort of.  The distance from the alternator to the batteries is so long that you get a lot of voltage drop through the thin wires.  On top of that, the drop is enough that modern truck electrics often won't recognize that there's a battery there and won't charge.  And fuel consumption on the truck is much higher than a generator.  Plus, no one in camp likes the guy who lets his truck idle for two hours.  

Speaking of generators, like the small Honda often mentioned on here, wouldn’t the easiest way to run one be simply connecting to outside propane connector, so as not having to deal with large cans of gasoline?

Many have done just that.

What reason is it that not every RV is equipped with an instant on demand continuous hot water heater like a Truma?

Likely because of cost.  But also, the Truma is nice, but fragile.  I go back and forth on whether I'd rather have a traditional hot water tank. With the tank, you get some extra water carrying capacity as well. 

I’m assuming there is a good water filter that filters all water in entire coach?

Not stock.  Many people add an inline filter when hooked up, and some people filter when they fill the fresh tank.  Others, like us, just drink bottled water and don't worry about it.  We do carry a filter but only because I like to pretend that I'll need to pull water from a stream just any day now.

Is leveling your Oliver the biggest chore when arriving at nightly sleeping spots, and is that always/usually necessary?

Some amount of leveling is almost always necessary, but I can't say that anything on the Ollie is a chore to set up/take down.  If I had to list one, it would be backing into a spot.

• Moderators

Agree with Overland on all...

- we routinely pull into Walmarts and supermarkets with our trailer. We park at the far end taking up two spaces. Of course you need to do a quick evaluation of the parking lot to determine if it’s to crowded/small.

- we don’t use headphones. We also don’t watch a lot of TV. When we do want to watch a movie or view a sports event we don’t have the volume that high. We also camp mostly at National and state parks, COE campgrounds and BLM areas where you really aren’t close to others. The few occasions when we’re close to our neighbors we try to be considerate with music and tv volume.

- legs across the aisle would work.

- you’ll get some charge from your TV while traveling. Not sure I’d rely on it while stationary, not very efficient.

- hot water tank is not as expensive, simpler to maintain and works fine.

- we just use a couple of the inline filters. We also have a water softer.

- leveling is pretty easy and routine. The electric jacks make it pretty painless but having wooden blocks or the big plastic LEGO levelers help.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

You'll find a number of RVs of all sorts in Walmart shopping, and where it's allowed, some even spend the night. The superwalmarts afford one stop for groceries, deli, and supplies like blackwater treatment, a new dump hose, rv antifreeze etc. Access is usually pretty easy, as is parking along the perimeter, but some are better than others. Gas is often cheaper, too, if they have their own gas station, or a Murphy's gas station, on the property.

One other reason many prefer the traditional six gallon water heater is the dual fuel.. For those who camp often in sites with power, the 6 gallon traditional heater can be run on electricity, saving propane. Depending on ambient temp, about ten minutes runtime gets water to a comfortable temperature to shower without mixing cold water.

I would love to figure out a way to retrofit the Lagun table to our 2008. It's on my "someday" list. I often use the table for cooking prep. It would really be nice to be able to raise it to a more comfortable height when standing.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.