Voyager's 7" Digital Wireless Observation System

Having never towed anything as big as our Oliver before, I add the ASA Electronic backup camera for a little piece of mind. With 2 years and 20,000 miles behind me, it clearly helped many times. Last trip out to the Rally, the screen was all cloudy. I thought maybe the camera was just dirty. A closer look found that it was full of moisture!

IMG_2129.thumb.jpg.575406a5b822c0a361757d6a3af7d292.jpg

IMG_2128.thumb.jpg.ee23bcea6bf2ef6f3ce496d5f3e53415.jpg

I sent ASA an email and that got right back to me. Bad seal was the diagnosis. They issued a RMA and I removed it and shipped it out to them. A week later I got a Brand new camera. No charge. Got to love companies who do things right. Thanks ASA, you have a customer for life.

• Thanks 7

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

That is great customer service.

I noticed that the hardware on your old one is rusting, you might consider replacing the new ones with stainless..... that looks like a design weakness.

John Davies

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

[postquote quote=174764][/postquote]

We are thinking the same thing John!  Hey quick question, do you know what type of calk I should use?

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Since it is on the roof, take no shortcuts, use this... https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-4000-UV/?N=5002385+3293242579&rt=rud

Read and carefully follow the instructions, especially the initial surface prep. The 4000 sealant allows future removal and cures fast. Don’t use 4200, that is permanent, like for joining a boat deck to a hull.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

First a thank you to John Davies for the right 3M sealant and the reminder to get some good stainless steel screws for this project.

I got up early this morning to install our replacement camera and beat the Florida heat index expected to hit 102 today.  I took my time and wired up everything for a test run.  Last thing I wanted was to mount and seal it in place and find that it needed to be removed.  The 3M 4000 sealant was surprising easy to work with and to clean up overage as well.

The rubber grommet supplied from ASA is intended as a seal through the hull on thin walled RVs. As my camera was installed by Oliver they drilled a hole larger then the grommet and use the grommet to seal the hole in the bracket while dropping down into the oversized hole in the hull.  They then sealed around the hull hole, grommet, screw holes, bracket holes and the screw heads.  I followed their lead by applying a liberal amount of sealant in the hole until it came out on the other side of the hull in the attic storage. This creates a good 3/4" plug of sealant from the inside of the hull all the way to the grommet and bracket on the outside.  ASA supplied a new Black bracket which, I decided to paint it White with 3 coats of a good exterior enamel to better blend in with the Oliver.  The old screw had started to rust and while ASA supplied new ones, I opted to replace them all with stainless.  All ready to hit the road.

[attachment file=175971]

IMG_2248.thumb.jpg.31a98ca7d3a06968703a41e214ba8b7c.jpg

• Thanks 4

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Appreciate the details of how the camera is installed by OTT. I'm getting ready to replace my camera and was specifically concerned about that grommet. Now I know what to expect and suspect the job will go much quicker. Regarding the screws: The camera housing is cast aluminum. If you are going to use stainless steel screws, be sure to as a minimum to lubricate the threads with an appropriate anti-seize to combat galvanic corrosion. Best to stick with the supplied screws though.

• Thanks 2

galvanic corrosion

Good point about the galvanic corrosion.  Same with the original steel screws and the rusted in less than 2 years.

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited