DC, AC, generator, solar, and propane power source

MarkC

Where is the best source of knowledge about operating your trailer. I have a general understanding but have questions when you are using multiple power sources. Please bear with me as I have no previous trailer experience. Is there a panel where you manually change power sources. Example..while AC running off generator are your batteries being charge by solor or the generator? Can you damage circuitry if certain switches aren't in proper position? I plan on boondocking so Im feeling i need a good understanding of the circuitry and how it works. Maybe all is explained in the owners manual when i purchase.

To answer your first question, this forum is a darned good place to start.

As for your second, all the electrical components play well with one another and you can’t really damage anything unless you try hard. The chargers (solar and shore power) can both operate simultaneously and neither will charge the batteries unless they need it.  Then there’s an automatic transfer switch that prevents you from, say, trying to charge your batteries by plugging into a wall socket and a generator at the same time. Fairly fool proof, really.

If you want to learn more, there are plenty of folk here who are very knowledgeable about trailer electrics, and someone posted a link to a good primer from Victron a few months ago that I’ll try to dig up and link to again.

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

Relax Mark. As Overland said everything works seamlessly together.

The transfer switch he mentioned keeps two 120VAC sources from entering the trailer at the same time or keeps power from a generator attached to your trailer from trying to exit if you’re plugged in.

Example: let’s say you’re parked somewhere and hooked up to shore power. It’s a hot night and you really are enjoying the cool air from the fine air conditioner mounted on your new Oliver. Suddenly the power goes off. You go outside, set up the generator and turn it on. Soon you’re relaxing in the coolness again. Without the transfer switch silently doing its job your generator would be backfeeding 120 volts into the grid. A lineman working to fix the fault could be electrocuted and possibly killed because of this.

In addition, your batteries are being charged while going down the road by both the solar panels and the truck. The truck’s alternator has a voltage regulator to prevent overcharging any battery connected to it. The solar system has its own charge controller to prevent overcharging from the panels.

All this will quickly become second nature when you’ve gotten your trailer and started to use it.

Have fun.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg