Towing with a Ford F-150, 3.55 axle ratio

GBBest

Our Ollie will not be ready til mid September and have been wondering how our F150 will do pulling a 6500-7000# trailer. It appears (on paper) that it will be ok but would like to hear from anyone with actual experiences.

We bought a 2016 F-150 when we got our LE2.  Very happy with it so far.   Tows the Ollie very well.   I would recommend the Anderson WDH, not that you really need it... a half ton pick up would tow the LE2 easily, but for the liability.  Here is an interesting article on that:  https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/get-sued-tow-trailer-with-pickups/

Good Luck,

Scotty

• Thanks 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

I first towed my LEII with a 2011 F-150 ecoboost and now tow with a 2017 F-150 ecoboost.  Both trucks had the Ford tow package but the second truck has the "offroad" package.  I find that the suspension on the second truck is a tad more firm (which I prefer).

Make sure that you get the tow package (makes the brake controller use a no-brainer) and make sure that the truck has the larger gas tank (particularly if you plan to tow out West).

Finally, in addition to the liability issues that Scotty mentions, note that the hitch on the Fords has a little label on it which states that you need a weight distribution hitch when towing anything over 500 pounds hitch weight.

Bill

p.s.  I could not be happier with either of these two trucks and have never had a single problem with either one.  Both were the first Fords I've ever owned.  There is a reason why Ford sells more F-150's than any other brand.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You haven’t provided enough info for us to judge..... https://www.holidayfordusa.com/blogs/2548/uncategorized/ford-f-150-towing-capacities-by-engine/

Ratings change yearly, so research your particular truck. They are also significantly affected by added accessories (bumpers, racks, canopies), oversized tires, external cargo, etc. If yours is borderline for a 6000 pound towed load, a rating below 8000 pounds, you will probably be fine to start out. You can always swap out the ring and pinion(s) later if you feel it is struggling on high elevation grades in summer heat.... That takes way less cash than buying a replacement truck. Other than forced induction, that is the single best mod to gain lots of power.

If your truck is tired, lacking power and payload, AND without modern towing aids, consider a newer one since they are so much better and safer at the job. Or better yet a HD model.

Please go to your personal forum page, click the gear in the upper right corner and fill out your profile, including a signature with your truck and Ollie info.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did update my profile for reference. Somehow when I reviewed my original message I left off the 5.0 engine. I’ve read about the 3.5 turbo & how well it does but haven’t come across a rig owner with 5.0 & 3.55 axle ratio. Would like an idea how my 5.0 will perform. I have HD tow package w/6 speed transmission. From all I’ve read, my TV will be fine for most travels.

Phil

• Moderators

Yep - looks to me like you are good to go but, as Whatda says, do pay a bit of attention to how much stuff you are carrying in the F-150.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I had a 3.5 EB, my buddy had a 5.0.  We both got similar numbers unladen and towing.  Neither felt like a slug.  Going up pikes peak, the EB had the advantage at elevation.  5.0 is lighter so it usually has more available payload than a comparable EB.  Advertised MPGs favor the EB, but real world they are about the same.  We were pulling race trailers of similar weight, and the biggest hit to MPG was speed as they were about 8.5' wide and also tall.  Never did we ever feel slow, but at ~65-70 mph MPG dropped below 8.  The 3.0 Powerstroke would be ideal, but I think with its weight you get like 1200lbs of payload in a nicely equipped f150.

Between Olivers…

If you are set on getting the F-150, I would take a close look at getting the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP).

It upgrades your frame, gives you the 3.73 rear end, LT tires (load C rated), 36 gallon gas tank, and increases payload around 800 pounds.

In 2019, it was only available with the 3.5 ecoboost or the 5.0. But not available on Lariat and up trims for some unknown reason. Could be different for 2020 models.

Payload (or lack of it) can be a problem with the 1/2 tons, depending on how you load up your truck with various accessories. You'll have to consider your personal use carefully. Personally, for my future truck, I'm letting go of the idea of a half ton for towing in favor of a 3/4 ton for many reasons. The 1/2 ton is still a good TV, though maybe getting close to the edge for the Elite2. The F-150 3.5/5.0 have plenty of power, just not nearly as stable a platform as a 3/4 ton truck. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• 3 years later...

I refer to our TV as "The Beast".  It is a 2019 F-150 Super Crew, 3.5 EcoBoost, 5' bed, 4X4, FX-4, Max Tow Package.  Before our Alaska trip, I replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 5100's.  They definitely improved the rear end performance.  Felt much more "planted".  Other than that the truck is stock. 

As indicated in the below picture, our Anderson Receiver is flipped up, and I am using the lowest bolt positions.  With this set-up, the trailer rides just a bit too nose high for my preference.  Here are our pertinent data points:

UPDATED ANDERSON BALL HEIGHT RANGE:  23.5” to 25”

Below from F-150 during the Summer 2021

Truck mostly loaded Ball Height:       24 ¾”

Ollie hitched without Anderson:        22 ¼”               The truck squat was 2 ½”

Ollie hitched WITH Anderson Set       23 ½”               Truck squat reduced to 1 ¼”

AGRICULTURAL SCALE:  Summer 2021 Fuel Full, Truck Fully Loaded, Ollie Tanks 50% (This is Highway Preferred Load)

All entries are under their rated maximum capacity.

The BEAST                              AXLES                       OLLIE AND THE BEAST

Front   3,000               OE2 Axles          5,350             Actual GCW    12,000

Rear    3,550               Truck Axles       6,650             Max GCW        16,200

Truck   6,650               ACTUAL GCW  12,000             Under GCW     4,200 POUNDS UNDER

With the older design Anderson, the height of the Bulldog release hitched with 3 to 4 threads showing was just below the tail gate rear view camera when I carefully lowered the tailgate.  As the new Anderson design is higher, it now it is about 1/2" higher, and creates an interference fit between the Bulldog release handle and the tail gate camera assembly.  This is a problem waiting to be rather expensive.....

As a result of our 15,000 mile Alaska tour this past summer, i have to admit that my Brother was correct in that our rig would benefit from a set of air bags. My goal is not to increase tow capacities, but to reduce proposing, bottoming out on less than perfect loads,  and provide some clearance between the Bulldog lever and the F-150 tailgate camera.  (NOTE:  Any airbags I have installed will each have it's own air fill point as suggested by JD.) 

Questions: 

A.  Just looking at our current unloaded Anderson receiver unit, if I flip the receiver to the down position, and use the highest bolt positions, how much would that lower the ball height?   My gut says too much, and I need to get the one that allows a more central bolt position.  Just hoping not the case.....

B.  What MFG air bags do your recommend?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

GJ 

image.png.216ea1a404d6f1f26b90e9b585570587.png

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I think you should flip the receiver and try that, It is not that hard to do.  I had to do that myself and the Oliver now rides horizontal.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

A.  Just looking at our current unloaded Anderson receiver unit, if I flip the receiver to the down position, and use the highest bolt positions, how much would that lower the ball height? 

1-7/8".  See the Andersen Fitment Guide, link below.

https://help.andersenhitches.com/weight-distribution-help-guide

That should be enough to eliminate the conflict between the truck tailgate and the Bulldog coupler.  And, according to the Andersen weight distribution hitch installation guide, having the trailer a bit nose down is better than a bit nose up.  See link below:

https://help.andersenhitches.com/install-weight-distribution-hitch

• Thanks 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Geronimo John said:

What MFG air bags do your recommend?

John,

I have Firestone airbags on my current F-250 and have used them before. I also run Bilstein shocks on my truck and Timbren soft stops up front. The SuperDuty is a solid front axle and has a bit more of a rough ride than the F-150 so I added the Timbrens - noticeable effect on sharp potholes or rocks.

Regards,

Brian

• Like 1

Just an FYI for some. We tow with a 2014 F150 Crew Cab with 6.5ft bed with the 3.5L Eco Boost. We have the max towing package and heavy duty payload package. The Max payload for our is just over 1800lbs. I think I was pretty close to that when we left Ohio to pick up our Oliver last July..lol.

We have the Anderson and the Oliver tows great. Towing we get about 12 mpg, alittle better on the back roads. Without towing around 17 here in the only hills in Ohio.  I have had zero problems with the 3.5 so far. Not sure the life expectancy of that engine but so far so good. It will be more expensive to fix than the V8 but I hope I dont have to find that out.

We plan to start taking longer trips (multiple weeks) in the next year or two so I will probably be looking to upgrade myself. Currently the TV has just over 152K miles but runs like a champ. My decision is go with newer F150 or move up to 3/4 and then of course gas vs diesel. If you research this there has to be hundreds of articles or videos on that alone.  As many has said "comes down to personal preference and planned usage" 

• Like 2

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

On 12/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, Rivernerd said:

1-7/8".  See the Andersen Fitment Guide, link below.

Thanks Ralph.  Great reference you sent.  I had not stumbled on it before.  Sadly, I have this the 8"drop/rise version shown below.  That one reversed drops almost 4 inches.  😞

I think I'll get the Firestone air bags and see what that does for my clearance issue and squat issues before changing the Anderson flip.

Using my unladen truck as the target benchmark, the truck payload (all in) squats the truck rear about half an inch.  Hitch Ollie up and it squats to 2.5" total rear squat.  Tighten up the Anderson chains  (3 - 4 threads showing) and the truck squat is reduced to a manageable 1.25".    

Is it feasible with the Anderson and Firestones to eliminate all the squat?  Is that any advantage to shooting for a bit higher for improved spring travel?  

If not, $138 for the 4" WD Rack (PN 3353)....

GJ

image.png.6a13dbc94fcf64d18db4043c29464de8.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg