Bed collapse

Newshoes

Legacy Elite New guy here. Still in Ollie boot camp. Today I set up the bed for the first time. Good thing I did this before my first adventure as It collapsed. I retrieved myself from a stern down position and then examined what I may have done wrong. I measured the distance between the back of the space for the table to sit in (30") and the width of the table 29 1/4". I appears that unless the table sits exactly in the middle any movement left or right can cause one edge to slip off the ledge!

My concern is the if the family pets are using this area as a safe refuge/ cage/ den..etc they would be critically injured when 300lbs of adult suddenly drop into that space!

I have solved the problem in the interim by using composite (plastic) wedges to keep the table top centered. So far that seems to have solved the problem in the interim but this is not a long term solution.I did a 170 lb "jump test" to check... and no collapse of the table!

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

Newshoes,

Sorry to hear about your table.

On my Elite 1, the table is 29-1/4" wide as is yours, but the space between the two molded ledges that it sits in to is 29-5/8".

There is no way that my table can fall off the ledges whether slid to one side or not.

If your space is indeed 30", that is too much and a call to Oliver is recommended.

As you mentioned, it is a dangerous situation, especially if your pets are camping underneath.

The cleanest solution would be for Oliver to build you a new table to fit the space. If the space is 30" then a 29-5/8" wide table would be the same fit as mine.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderator+

Something doesn’t add up here. Every part is made from the same mold and should all be the same. The table recess molded into the inner bottom hull would need to have spread over 3/8” for this to have happened.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

[postquote quote=175210][/postquote]

Agreed, I'm having a hard time figuring how this could happen myself.

Newshoes, are the recesses for the table parallel to each other front to back?

Dave

table width is 29-1/4" constant. recess is 29-1/2" aft and 29-3/4"+ forward. just enough if there is a minor shift the table drops in to the abyss!, The composite wedges are doing the job for now. Thanks for the response.

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

On my Elite 1, the table is 29-1/4″ wide as is yours, but the space between the two molded ledges that it sits in to is 29-5/8″. There is no way that my table can fall off the ledges whether slid to one side or not.

Math says it can, unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Looks like the key here is what is the actual width the ledge. There is a pliable trim applied to the top go the ledge that the table sits on. On one side of trim is a slight lip. To me the lip should be on the outside of the trim so that it provides some resistance to lateral movement of the table. The trim on mine is on the inside. not sure how the restricts any lateral movement of the table. I will call Oliver and see what they say. In the interim I have a supply of composite wedges. Thanks for the responses!

Overland,

It depends on the width of the ledge, as noted by Newshoes.

In any case, mine has no applied trim to the ledge, and the ledge is wide enough not to let the table drop.

I'd put the table to the rear of the trailer with the fiberglass insert piece towards the front, and make adjustments to those trim pieces if possible.

Dave

Exactly!.. That is what I have done. With the wedges, absolutely no lateral movement of the table! I will let you know what Oliver says about it. thanks to all!

UPDATE:  Called Oliver on Monday morning, they called me back in about and hour and asked me to send pictures and measurements. I did that this AM and by 10 am had a call from Matt in the service department. They said they were sending me a new table this week. Not sure how much better service one could expect from a manufacturer.

• Thanks 2