Solar panels on roof

MarkC

Ok hear goes...I'm really qualifying myself here. What about solar panels and hail storms? How tough are the panels? If in a storm do you find a bridge to hide under? I'm guessing the approach here is the same as worrying about being struck by lightning!

They are residential quality, they are darned tough. If you are in a storm bad enough to break these panels, you will have more important things to worry about. Besides, your insurance would cover replacement cost.

OTH, if I were in a bad storm and solid shelter was available, I would certainly use it.... if it were limited, I would stick my truck and occupants under it and leave the Ollie sticking out.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I know I have told this story before, but here goes.

Years ago, we had hail the size of steely marbles at our camping property in North Carolina. We were at a friend's house having dinner, an hour away, and no hail there. The Ollie, and its solar panels, were undamaged when we returned, though the ground was still covered with hail and shredded leaves. I imagine the truck would have had some dimples if we'd been there.

Sherry

• Thanks 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I agree with the above comments.  Out of Dallas I saw an Air Stream with SEVERE hail damage.  But its solar panels were not damaged.

Also, even if they were damaged, they are very easy to order out and DYI replacement yourself.  Can't say the same thing for that poor Air Stream......

• Thanks 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg