Tow Vehicle

MarkC

I currently own a 2005 chev. 3500 crew cab duromax diesel pickup.  Before that a ford power stroke for 10 years.  Both performed great for years...over 250k miles each with no major engine issues.  My current dura max is pushing 300k miles...so I'm considering purchasing a new pickup when I order a trailer.  I've talked to friends, my mechanic, truck owners I run into a the fuel spot and grocery store parking lots, youtube videos.  The more people I talk to the more answers I get to the question...should I purchase a new diesel engine pickup with all the emissions equipment required today.  The neigh sayers explain that with todays emission equipment they run too hot and burn up over time. And I wouldn't get 10 years out of the vehicle like I did with my last two pickups before the emission stuff.  I would welcome any thoughts out there?

• Like 1

I can only offer up that, although I own a 2006 Dodge 5.9L diesel, 3500 MegaCab, towing an Oliver doesn't require that kind of power.  I just happened to have already owned my truck before we decided to purchase our trailer.  I actually have equipment trailers and tractors that require the power I have.

I also will advise that to replace my current truck with a new one would probably cost well in excess of $75K so essentially, close to the cost of the trailer itself.

I do like the diesel but if I had to purchase a replacement vehicle for the purpose of towing my Oliver, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go that route.  Of course, any good TV will cost you plenty if you're purchasing new.

If you want to pursue diesel though, I would do some serious on-line searching for good, low mileage trucks out of Texas.  For some reason, they seem to have an inordinate number of great, low mileage diesels down there.  That's where mine came from. (I live in VA).

Good luck.

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

You nailed it, if you plan to keep it for a really long time and for 200,000 plus miles, either avoid a diesel entirely or delete it if you don’t have inspections. ..... 

Some of the new gas engines are amazing ...  have you researched the new 7.3 Ford?

Even the older gas engines are getting better, the newest Power Wagon with the eight speed automatic and a few aero tweaks got 25% better mileage than the previous year (The Fast Lane 100 mile test loop.)

It was hard to give up that endless diesel torque, but I am way happier with a gas truck. Go drive some gas trucks, see if any appeal to you. The Tundra is overdue for a complete makeover, it will be interesting to see what the new model offers. The Ram 2500 with rear coil or air springs drives really nice compared to leaf spring trucks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

You put 21k miles a year on your truck.

Depending on conditions, local fuel prices, how much you tow, how fast you tow, that represents anywhere from $100 to $1000 in fuel savings for the Diesel at today's prices - over the next 5 years.  Diesels cost $10,000 more new and a lot more to maintain.  Plus you need to keep topping of the Urea to not end up in limp home mode.  So from a financial perspective it doesn't pay off.  I know for the price difference you can get a Lariat with the Ultimate pack compared to an XLT with no options on it.

While the diesels are rated higher for towing in many cases, the big block and all the emissions gear weigh more and so you have less available payload - which is what most exceed first.

Where diesels do shine is when towing, they deliver much better MPG, which means more range between stops.  If you are trying to make it across Texas as fast as possible in a headwind, you probably want a diesel.  Other than that, the economics don't work out.

If I _needed_ a diesel, I would look at a 2006-7 Chevy LBZ.  But those are enjoying some really nice resale values now in good condition with lower miles.

As John said, there are some new trucks on the Horizon that are definitely worth waiting to see how they stack up if you can.  Especially if your LLY is running well and not overheating.  2021 F150, 2021 Tundra, the 2020 F-Series with the 7.3 gas, 2020 2500HD with the 6.6 gas, and more.

There are rumors for Hybrid power trains for Ford and Toyota, that if they don't eat into the payload, could make for some ridiculous 1/2 truck efficiencies.  Bonus if it plugs in and I can run to the train station and back without paying for fuel.  If Ford or Toyota's next 1/2 tons can pull Ollie without a WDH, they may take the place of the SD/HD trucks in my book too. For now I am kind of infatuated with the Expedition, but we'll see how the test drive goes.

• Thanks 4

Between Olivers…

[postquote quote=175881][/postquote]

Yeah, I should have looked there first.  I'm hoping that a formal glossary will be developed and posted where one doesn't have to look through an entire thread to find (or hopefully find) a term.

Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Hobo, we've been working on that behind the scenes...

You'll see it soon...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I saw a Tube video today reviewing the new GM 3.0L Duramax Diesel inline 6 in the upcoming 2020 Silverado 1/2 ton looks pretty impressive. Performance, Power and Price. Might be worth looking at.

• Thanks 2

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

I am very happy with my choice. GMC Canyon Denali with the Duramax 2.8 diesel towing Ollie Elite 1. I wonder if GM will offer the new 3.0 Duramax inline 6 (3.0) in the CANYON/ COLORADO?

• Thanks 1

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

• 5 months later...

I am so sad that VW is no longer making the Touraeg.  Do any of you use an SUV while towing?  And can you let me know how they work out for you?  I am thinking of a used BMW X5; it has a tow capacity of 7,700 pounds.  Any thoughts; anyone else towing with an SUV you'd recommend?  Any problems when using the SUV as a towing vehicle?  

Thanks so much!

We tow an Elite II that weighs loaded, without water, 5,400 lbs.  We tow it with a 2018 BMW X5 35d and it tows GREAT!  

We have towed about 5,000 miles, over all sorts of roads, including twisty mountain ones and six significant passes in the west up to 8,700 feet. 

Great power, ride, brakes and mileage.   

17.8 mpg going from sea level in San Diego, CA to 8,700 feet in Mammoth Lakes, CA and 21.7 mpg coming back.

And what a great vehicle to tour in, once we are at our destination!  We tend to put about 1/3 of our trip mileage on w/o the trailer.

We followed Andy from CanAm of Ontario's advice and we do use the Andersen WD hitch and we compress the red bushing 1/4".

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please message me with your phone number and I will give you a call. 

There are also a number of forum members who tow with the Touraeg or Q7 and I am sure would be more that willing to provide you information about there experience.

If I had to do it again, would get a German diesel SUV.

Andrew 

Edited by AndrewK
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

14 hours ago, xccorgi said:

Do any of you use an SUV while towing? 

We tow with an Audi Q7, which can pull 7700 lbs. It has been a great tow vehicle, with plenty of power.

The owners manual for the Audi has a strict prohibition against a weight distribution hitch, and I think the same applies to most similar German cars. 

13 hours ago, AndrewK said:

We followed Andy from CanAm of Ontario's advice and we do use the Andersen WD hitch

I did a bunch of research on the WDH topic, and one can weld a brace underneath the chassis that permits WDH use. This method was pioneered by the CanAm Airstream dealer in Ontario. I have a neighbor who pulls a 23 foot Airstream with an Audi Q7, and he had his Q7 modified by CanAm. I did not like the look of it, as it significantly decreases the ground clearance. My neighbor suggested that with pictures (which I have), any competent welder could install such a brace. 

My Q7 tows beautifully, with no sway despite not using a weight distribution hitch. 

Send me a private message if you want more info, including a bunch of relevant threads from the AirForum. 

Edited by DavidS

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I am looking for a new tow vehicle for my Oliver which is 17 feet (including the tongue) it is the Sport Model with only a few made.  The UVRW weight is 3,100 lbs; the GVWR: is 5000.  The highlander is rated to tow 5,000 lbs.  Is this sufficient to make the Highlander a good tow Vehicle?

I appreciate your help.

I have a 2016 VW Touareg TDI (diesel) for sale.  I towed my Elite II with it.  Search for Touareg on the forum and you’ll find more info.  Also on Autotrader—located in North Liberty, IA.  The Touareg is more luxurious, handles and rides better than the Highlander and has a towing capacity of 7700 lbs.  You’ll also get significantly higher mpg towing your Oliver.  Message me if you’re interested.  Approx. 31,000 miles.  

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Sport model was only made for a very short time, probably less than a year. A version of original legacy to reduce the starting price, with a steel frame and fewer features included in the base model.  Same great hull. Only a very few built, maybe not even a half dozen. Oliver went into production hiatus not long after introduction of the sport.  

The concept was not revived when Oliver went back into production with the Elite II.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

22 hours ago, OKCamper said:

I am looking for a new tow vehicle for my Oliver which is 17 feet (including the tongue) it is the Sport Model with only a few made.  The UVRW weight is 3,100 lbs; the GVWR: is 5000.  The highlander is rated to tow 5,000 lbs.  Is this sufficient to make the Highlander a good tow Vehicle?

I would not recommend a Highlander, it doesn't have any real reserves in terms of capacity. What does your trailer actually weigh, loaded for a long trip? How much "stuff" do you carry - especially heavy gear like generator, bikes, tools, cast iron cookware, ammo, etc etc? Where will you plan to tow and do you plan any really long trips?

I would be looking at a vehicle with a 6500 pound or higher tow capacity plus a decent payload. If you want to stay with a Toyota SUV, a Sequoia (5.7 liter engine) would tow your trailer as if it were not there, though you will pay for fuel; the V8 is thirsty. Plus the Tech is simply not there.... it is due a refresh. If you are OK with other brands of SUVs, there are much better choices.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
On 12/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, OKCamper said:

I appreciate your help.

Hi, okcamper, and congrats on your sport! How long have you had it? What do you tow with now?

Have you ever weighed the trailer at a cat scale to determine the real world weight you're towing? When we weighed ours, loaded for camping, with propane and some grey and fresh water, we found a tongue weight of roughly 400 lbs, camper 3500, overall 3900 lbs. I think that's pretty close to Pete's reported weights. We both have a few extra pounds in solar panels and extra equipment.  If you weighed yours loaded, you'd have a better idea of specs to look for.

Unfortunately,  I don't remember anyone towing with a Highlander. But, the new one rated for 5000 pounds has a 3.5 turbo, right? Is the new Highlander still built on the van chassis? All wheel drive, or front wheel?

Many of us who own the smaller elites tow with full size half ton trucks because a) we already own them b) we like driving trucks and c) mpg doesn't change a whole lot, maybe 10 to 20 per cent, towing. And, we hardly know the trailer is back there.

Other Elite I  folks have towed with smaller trucks (Tacoma),  a Honda Ridgeline,  and suvs and one friend with a Mercedes wagon, another with a Toyota FJ. The FJ owner has changed to a truck, I think.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hi!

I have had the Oliver about 4 years and tow currently with a 2004 Dodge Longbed.  It easily tows the Oliver and although it is older, it has only about 40,000 miles on it. The mileage for this model is about 12-14 mpg and the Oliver. doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have been looking at both the and and the front wheel drive.  I sure appreciate your input.  I think I will expand my car search.  Thank you so much for responding