Storage basket on tongue

MarkC

I've read that the storage basket will hold a Honda generator. Do you travel with the generator stored there? Seems like it would get dirty and eventually problems would crop up. Would you want to operate the generator in the basket? I'm thinking away from the trailer to reduce fire risk.  What does one store there when traveling? I'm thinking fuel for generator, maybe?

I use my basket to hold two milk crates ( one 12"x 12" and one 12"x 18" ) for storing my 6x6 blocks,  my 11"x 11" 3/4" plywood bases, my Anderson levelers,  my wheel chocks,  and my outside door mat. I do that because these are the items I need immediately when setting up and/or the last items I need to put away when departing.

When I do get a generator, it will ride in the back of my TV or I can construct an additional platform above the previously mentioned items to place the generator.

In either case, it will be on the ground or on the tailgate of my truck when running to mitigate vibrations through the chassis of the trailer.  Fuel storage location for the generator is still TBD but I'll figure that out when I get the generator.  I have lots of buddies that can weld aluminum so my options are endless.

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I carry two full jerry cans of gas, an empty water can and chocks. I moved the cargo tray to the rear onto a custom rack because I hated the front position for a number of reasons. I carry the generator in the back of the truck where it remains secure, out of site and clean. I can pop open the tailgate and run it in situ without having to remove the cable lock. You are not supposed to run a generator within 25 feet of your Ollie so that you do not gas yourself. The company lawyers wrote that rule, just be careful about which way the wind is blowing. BTW three years ago the tray was commonly referred to as a “generator tray”, that is why the opening is there next to the optional front shore power receptacle, for the power cable to go. I guess they changed the terminology so you can’t sue the company. Just as they changed the definition of the rear jacks to leveling, not lifting.

The trailer tows better without all the weight on the coupler.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

People do store and run the generator from the basket, which is why Oliver offers the additional 120v connection in the front.  Some people will in fact run their generator while traveling to cool the trailer down before getting into camp.

• Thanks 2

[postquote quote=175884][/postquote]

Where did you order the custom cover with snaps? Would they make/sell another one... Perfect solution for my needs.  Was it difficult to the install SS snaps on the aluminum cargo tray? Did you use Screw studs/rivets/threaded for the male stud?

Thanks, Mike

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

The cover was a one off thing. I took the loaded basket to a canvas/upholstery shop at a lake. They make all sorts of covers, etc. for boats. I had to leave the loaded basket (generator and fuel can strapped in place) with them as they digitized the whole assembly and then fitted the cover. I also got a quote from an auto upholstery shop. Either one could do the work and you’d have to leave the loaded basket with them as well in order to get a proper fit. I used a heavy truck tarp material that is super strong but Sunbrella material would also be a good choice. The male snaps were ordered from McMaster-Carr, an industrial supply company, they are stainless steel with a (I think the size is) #8-32 stainless stud attached. Whoever makes the cover could supply the complete stainless snap assemblies. My basket is one of the older designs so it has a fairly heavy lower rail. I just measured evenly all around and drilled/tapped for the studs and installed them before I had the cover made/fitted. On the newer baskets, I would just drill through the sides close to the bottom and use nylon lock nuts on the inside for the male snaps. On a side note: Mike, if you’re interested I have a Firestone air bag assembly for a 2017 +/-Tundra which is like new. I used this only about 3-4 months until I traded for a different truck.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

Thanks. Going to look for someone here locally to try and do something similar. Very nicely done. As far as the air bag, I am pretty satisfied with my current setup. I love my Tundra but I have had so much trouble with the dealership here that I am seriously thinking about getting a Dodge in a few years. May change my mind but plan on just using it without any more upgrades for now.

Thanks for the specifics on the gen cover!

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

"I use my basket to hold two milk crates ( one 12″x 12″ and one 12″x 18″ ) for storing my 6×6 blocks, my 11″x 11″ 3/4″ plywood bases, my Anderson levelers, my wheel chocks, and my outside door mat."

Hobo--sounds like a great idea to use the basket for these things.  Do you cover the milk crates?  And how do you secure them when traveling?

Thanks!!

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

I passed on the front tongue basket upon our ordered unit, I may go with a tongue toolbox which I can keep the trailer setup stuff in as the side compartment on the trailer is not that user friendly for quick to get to items. I just need to look at the trailer tongue area and see how I can manufacture brackets that will fit over the fiberglass front panel, I'd rather not cut the fiberglass panel if possible.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200620947_200620947  I've seen this box on sale for $219.00, I've checked them out in the store and all seems to be done nicely, plus it does match the rear bumper somewhat.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

[postquote quote=176829][/postquote]

This what I did.  I got mine off Amazon for a little over $100. I carry chocks, blocks, gloves, flashlight and an old towel in it.

60919378-6E4B-44A5-BB3A-AED7EE2ACBAF.thumb.jpeg.cdca05c1cf34c2dd970fafeacea4b6d1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

[postquote quote=176814][/postquote]

At this juncture, I don't tie them down or cover them.  The contents sit low enough in the crates and the weight is formidable enough that it rides nicely just as is.  I will have a cover made for them to hide the contents though.  I'll post a pick next time the basket is full when leaving for a trip.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

[postquote quote=176055][/postquote]

This is exactly what Lil Snoozy recommended in their Youtube Video. Run it on the tongue to cool the trailer before you arrive. But running it while driving seems kind of ridiculous.  I always carry mine in the right rear of the pickup bed inside a plastic tote that is tied down and is open on the top.

I'm trying to move away from it completely with solar and charging from the truck.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

[postquote quote=176841][/postquote]

Mike,

I remember looking at your front box at the rally and really liking it!  Very practical and a perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators
Mike, I remember looking at your front box at the rally and really liking it!  Very practical and a perfect fit. John   2015 LE2  hull 92

John, thanks. As we discussed, it was an inexpensive mod that works well for what I needed it to do. Having all the chocks, blocks, etc right there makes set up much easier. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS