Trip planning for new Ollie

Jitters

Good morning OTT group!  We've been looking for a new RV for a few months.  Started with Arctic Fox/Nash/ORV, then Airstream and it all led to OTT.  My funds are limited living on Navy retired pay and a part time job.  I found a 1-yr old Ollie LEII Twin that I can meet up in Rapid City SD to make the purchase.  I live in Caldwell, ID and have not been in that part of the country yet (been to Yellowstone/Jax Hole).  I plan on taking the route shown in this google maps link.  Anyone have any information on how easy/difficult this route will be?  Any high passes such as the Tetons (going south of them)?  We've had plenty of trailers in the past (horse trailers...BP and GN, 5th wheels and TT).

https://goo.gl/maps/B5HPkur15xhJ8ckY7

We plan to take 3 days to get there and 5-6 to get back.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

We are doing this route as I type with our Ollie.  Headed home from AR to Bellingham WA and currently in Billings MT area.  It's been pretty easy but for sporadic road work.

We are on I90 now but on way out to AR we took the roads you will travel on thru corner of OR.  Ollie is SO easy to pull you wont have problems assuming your TV is suitable.  I have been surprised at how easy it has been.

Good luck to you and safe travels.

Jennifer

Dan and Jennifer Brumfield Bellingham, WA Twin beds - Legacy Elite II (Hull #188).

GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel

We can’t seem to come up with a name.

Thanks Jennifer!  Good ole Bellingham!  I moved to ID a year ago after retiring from Fed Civ Svc and active duty while at NAS Whidbey Island.  I figured 38 years with the Navy was enough. :)

Our TV is a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with the max tow package.  6.2L V8, heavier springs and an 11,700 tow limit.  I had a nice Dodge 3500 dually for our horse trailer back at Whidbey but I sold it for the Sierra...dumb move in hindsight but the dually was really too big for our driveway.

Also looking for good camping areas/campgrounds for the trip back.  The LEII is setup for boondocking but would rather not on this trip...but will if necessary.

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

• Moderators

Toojennifer - the hull number matters in that it gives people a point of reference regarding which options were available and how things were constructed on your Ollie.  That way, if you have a question about how something works or are having a problem with something, other owners will know exactly what things might apply to your particular Oliver.

Jitters - Depending on your choice of coming (or going) across interstate 80 or 90.  In Sydney, NB on interstate 80 there is what used to be Cabelas headquarters store.  They have both a campground and another area for boondocking.  The campground has a dump and full hookups or partial hookups if you prefer and all spaces are first come first served.  There is a Walmart and eating places very near too.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Unless you really want to see the Tetons, I suggest that you bypass that part of WY entirely heading east. To say it will be a zoo would be a huge understatement. Can you dodge south at Pocatello along the grey alternate route? It will be easier since it avoids the mountains and tourists. Coming back, the blue route will offer way more places to camp. The western part of Wyoming (away from the mountains and forests) closely resembles the surface of the moon. It does not encourage one to linger. Watch your fuel and fill up often, stations are far apart.

Have fun, if you think you will be near Cody let me know, I have a favorite spectacular boondocking spot south of the town. You won’t find any affordable or unreserved ones within 25 miles of Cody. The entire Tetons/ Yellowstone corner of the state is insanely crowded in summer. The Cody firearms museum is a must see, if you are close by, they have RV parking.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks Bill.  Good to know why and we just found out our hull is no 188 so I will update my profile with that.

Dan and Jennifer Brumfield Bellingham, WA Twin beds - Legacy Elite II (Hull #188).

GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel

Jitters  - we boondocked or overnighted at the Walmart in Gillette, WY on way thru.  There is an old Walmart next to the new one there.  Huge vacant parking lot with lots of rvs stopped for night.  It was great for overnight plus a bonus thunderstorm and excellent pizza at Pizza Carrello (wood fired) which we would make a detour for next time.  Prior night we did a Sams parking lot in Omaha.  We were at RV parks most of the rest of the time but tend so far to boondock some when en route.

We got very tired of the mountains and with construction here and there they really slow you down (Montana, Idaho was the worst).  So if you are only passing thru and not there as destination I would also pick whatever routes avoid them.  Super pretty through there though.

Bellingham is a great town for sure.  Right at the gateway to everything - Vancouver, Mt. Baker, the San Juan’s, Seattle.

John Davies we buzzed right thru Spokane last night.  Stupidly we decided to drive all the way in from Gillette to Bellingham.  Otherwise we should have looked you up and compared Ollie’s.  We are paying the price today for the endless night of driving.  Not doing that ever again.

• Thanks 1

GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel

• Moderators

Glad you got home safe no matter how tired.  Certainly it always make sense to slow down a bit and enjoy the ride.

Got any pictures?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Thanks for the photos! Great interior choices. Love the bedding. Did you make the burgee pillows? They're great.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Sherry.  Thank you.

Yes on the pillows.  I have an Etsy store where I have sold these for a while now:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/SalvageSistasToo?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

so it was a no brainer I was going to incorporate some.  (:

• Thanks 1

GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel

Although I am thinking about recovering the mattresses possibly with ticking and then making bedrolls we can just roll up in the morning.  Something along this order:

18F18547-4117-489F-BD74-3EAE7504F998.thumb.jpeg.06046d698f9468c3ecd90dd1a19313d7.jpeg

5D204886-04E2-48EB-9D1C-DA90E0D9B4D0.thumb.jpeg.7d5299cd5351e781c6a8c16141837bec.jpeg

GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel

Jitters,

Don't know if you've made a deal yet.  Did you see the ad for mine in the classifieds?

We have hookups here, that would be ideal for your first night.  We're near Minden/Gardnerville, NV, or I could meet you in Lovelock or Winnemucca.

John

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19