Little Extra Storage

montreat

I was looking for a simple fix to take advantage of the blank interior of the closet door.  A quick search on Amazon turned up this simple hanging bag.  For the closet door I simply cut off the bottom row and it fit perfectly. Since there were two in the package I ordered I hung the other on the interior of the bathroom door.  I do not use the shower in the bathroom but if you do you could simply remove the storage bag so it doesn't get wet.  The hanging hooks took a little bending with some pliers to get a good fit.

The price was certainly right and the quality seems good.  Hope someone else will find this useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSQTB59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 2

2017 Oliver Elite II

2018 Toyota Tundra

Located in Asheville, NC

Cool, how big are the grommets at the top, would you be able to replace the steel hooks with Command Hooks?

Can you post some pics?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I’ve seen a couple of variations on this idea, these look like they would do a good job. The interesting question as John alluded to is how did you hang them?  Hooks over the door or hooks stuck to the inside of the door?  Thanks for sharing - folks are always looking to increase their storage!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The grommet size is 3/8 ", I do like the idea of the stick on hooks although I used the over the door method.  If you use the stick on method you would probably have to remove another row of pockets as this would lower the hanging unit.  You would still have 8 additional pockets for storage though.

• Thanks 1

2017 Oliver Elite II

2018 Toyota Tundra

Located in Asheville, NC

• Moderators

I did this mod a couple of years ago with hooks glued to the inside of the closet door.  Due to the latch on the inside of the door and having the hooks on the inside of the door, there was only room for two rows (i.e. 4 shoes).  However, that has worked out fine.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Bill

p.s.  I also "glued" the shoe holder down each side in order to keep it from "flapping" inside the door and when opening the door.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

P1020335-4.thumb.jpg.5a2a1e5c309774ca678c7629e506a994.jpg

As promised, here is a picture of the closet shoe rack.  If you decide to do this mod, be a bit careful to not interfere with the door latch and if your shoes are as big as mine ((or bigger), mine are size 11)) make sure that the shoes do not get caught in the door when it is shut - particularly at the top.

Bill

p.s.  Note that the little black envelope at the upper right behind the shoe rack holds "business cards".

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I did the same thing --- placed a shoe bag inside the closet door. In order to hold it in place I placed these hooks === https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C788VNN/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 === on the front of the closet door. Then I used some twill tape I had to put through the holes of the shoe bag and looped the twill tape over the top of the door & hold the tape in place with the hooks. The hooks are then used to hold jackets & whatever else. Again, using suction hooks I placed the smaller shoe bag in the bathroom as we do not use the bathroom for showers.

I have not tried Command products yet but need to. That will be another rabbit hole down into Amazon & its Command products. :)

closet-door-hooks.thumb.jpg.b1c4daca22d1f834397f9f0510b0d4f0.jpg

• Thanks 1

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

SG -

I do like the fact that your idea serves double duty - holds the shoe bag AND you can use the hooks on the outside of the door for hats/jackets.  Did you secure the shoe holder on the inside of the closet so that it doesn't flop around in there or when you open the door?

Bill

It is interesting that there are multiple solutions for mounting shoe pockets.

I am a big fan of Command hooks, so I tried those to hang the shoe pockets. Total failure. They kept falling down, I think because the inside surface of the closet door is too rough for the hooks to adhere effectively. So I glued some small pieces of plastic onto the door, and then applied Command hooks; this worked. I think Bill’s idea of gluing on hooks is a better solution.

IMG_3442.thumb.jpg.923796c0ddf763db2345cf5455a189a7.jpg

IMG_3443.thumb.jpg.e8189f9ee8674691be1126ebb3435e7a.jpg

I used three rows of shoe hangers. From the photo, it may appear that the shoe bag interferes with the closet latch, but it does not. I have not had the need to secure the bottom of the shoe hanger to the closet door.

We do not store shoes in here, but rather other stuff.

I cut off the bottom row that can hold two shoes and used double stick tape to put it up underneath my bed. I keep slippers in there. These are slippers with a suitable sole such that I can wear them outdoors. That has come in handy on more than one occasion.

IMG_3444.thumb.jpg.d1904b4786cdb4b62e2ad99b0662e9c8.jpg

Shoe storage. For a long time, we stored stuff in the basement in milk crates. Most used stuff near the door, less used stuff at the back, underneath the nightstand drawer. I think it was Steve who pioneered the use of an access hatch to the basement under the nightstand, and then Oliver made it an option. I bought a hatch door from Oliver and installed it myself after I overcame my aversion to cutting through fiberglass. I moved the rarely used stuff (i.e. extra hoses, 50A to 30A adaptors) from the basement to the tow vehicle, and I found a rectangular plastic pan that I put in the back of the basement; we put shoes in there. While space is a premium in the trailer, easy access is equally important. To me, it makes sense to use this basement space for shoes, while the hoses and adaptors are further away.

[Edit]. When I first posted this, the two photos in portrait mode were sideways, despite displaying the correct orientation both on my phone and my Mac computer. I figured out how to fix this. Open the photo in Preview on the Mac, rotate it 90° four times, and then save. Yes, it looks just like the original, but something in the metadata has been altered. I then deleted the photos from my post and re-uploaded them and all is good. There is something about the software running this forum that does not like photos in portrait mode ...

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I have never had a problem with the shoe bag flopping around or causing any type of problem hanging from the door. I have included a picture of the shoe bag & a bag in the bathroom. I have found that the suction hooks with the a 'suction latch' [my term] & a sticky backing work best.

20190625_175053.thumb.jpg.c2691d4ec682df0329cc6804d9c1e634.jpg

20190625_174956.thumb.jpg.8fad0f0a537f8f24be5aa90d838f8da4.jpg

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png