Who has upgraded their Andersen to the latest version?

I am finally going to do this, mine just doesn't like rain, it starts to creak and pop loud enough to wake the dead. I call it the Spawn of Satan and it is very embarrassing to make turns around people....

I emailed Andersen Service and included pictures but I expect it will be a few days before I get a reply, even if they are there over the week of the Fourth....

What is the procedure - does my ball mount have to be returned to get modified and what do they do to it?

What is the turnaround time and current cost?

I want to upgrade the ball to 2 5/16". How much more will that be?

Can someone post "after" pictures so we can all see how this works? Here is my early setup (purchased 04/17)..

IMG_8938.thumb.jpg.69ead32650f361ca930eb8bf0c585a47.jpg

IMG_8950.thumb.jpg.047101adb24e720c1f5ba0ed7e78d933.jpg

IMG_8952.thumb.jpg.1e00eb60e81c9af6146ebd6f053cafd8.jpg

IMG_8948.thumb.jpg.281ef4a93869c1ed700ac556e9710e5b.jpg

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I up graded our Anderson hitch when it first became available; the cost was $100.00.  They sent a complete new unit except for the stinger that goes into your vehicles trailer hitch, also no new chains.  They sent instruction on how to return the old unit at their expense.  I have had no issues with the new up graded Anderson hitch.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Maverik, can you post some close-up pictures? What did they do to change the ball mount, there is something about a retaining flange mod. Is that supposed to keep out moisture better?

How many towing miles have you put on the new version?

Water is the downfall of mine. Usually the environment is really dry here but we had a couple of 2-hour torrential downpours in the last few days and that really got the ball squawking and popping. It will dry out and quiet down, but that takes a while.... OTH I could just carry my 4 pound sledge hammer and whack it out each morning to dry it off. But that might look alarming to some campers....

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

I have no pictures of the old or up graded Anderson WDH.  The "whale tail" is different where it connects to the bottom of the trailer ball (this has been discussed several times in the past).  I have not removed the trailer ball from the upgraded unit; since I am not having any issues, I don't see any reason to do so.

So far we have put several thousand miles on the new up graded unit; with no issues in dry or wet weather.

The up graded ball housing appears to have a little different taper than the old unit.  The trailer ball retaining ring looks to be the same on both units.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I recently called Andersen about getting a new friction cone. They sent one out immediately with few questions. The one year old friction cone was white, the newest version they just sent me is light blue. One of the videos on their website says it’s acceptable for the friction material to start protruding out the top, but should be replaced if it exceeds 3/8”.   Mine was sticking out 1/2”.  Really the only question they asked was what is the color of the whale tail. Mine is silver. I see John’s is black. Our trailer has maybe 10k miles on it.  I haven’t replaced the friction material yet.  I had no complaints about the white cone (other than it squirting out the top),  hopefully the blue won’t be a step backwards.

Hth, Ken

9A949E95-9700-4788-A32D-6E557198F7CF.thumb.jpeg.8966ef0b71cc2e098eb4e74c6d7135f5.jpeg

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Ken, in my pics, the white insert is fairly new with only a few hundred miles of towing.

Yours looks pretty disgusting, no offense...., I would have changed it out a long time ago!

With the older designs it seems as if it is pure luck whether or not rain will make it scream... Mine was fine for 6000 miles and then it just got super noisy..., the new insert did not help much.

What I would actually like is a fixed ball (no friction material, the Ollies do NOT need a sway control) with a single chain along the centerline of the frame, attached directly under the CENTER of the ball on a stout bearing. In turns, the trailer (and chain) would rotate like a simple dead weight setup, and the chain would give you good jounce control on bouncy roads. Weird, huh?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

I'm on the road now so this will be short.   I was one of the first to change.  Ball taper is different but doesn't show on pics very well.  Whale tail attachment is also different and a great improvement.  Cost is/was $100.  I've not heard one peep out of the new one in about 25,000 miles.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Well, the $100 upgrade offer mentioned in the Technical Bulletins section still works! I am going to receive the very latest ball mount assembly, the newer style silver pivoting whale-tail, and the larger 2 5/16” ball and a spare friction cone.

The Andersen tech called me this morning and told me that this version has a circular collar on top that secures the friction cone and also incorporates an effective water seal. It is held down with six allen head screws. I will start a new thread about this with pics when I get the parts in a few days. They are including a prepaid shipping label so I can send the old parts back. (FYI I did not have to send my old unit to them first, for modification, as mentioned in the Bulletin.)

I also ordered a new larger coupler here :

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZRVQPVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to do this upgrade, take pictures of your old hitch, and send your request as an email to Andersen, and mention the $100 trade-up offer. Be sure to say that it is creaking and making nasty noises and include your shipping info and a phone number. They will call to verify details and get a credit card number.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/fyi-andersen-wd-hitch-ball-locking-up-or-load-noise-11/

Email:

customerservice@anderseninc.com

I have to say that Andersen customer service is darned good, maybe as good as Oliver’s.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

OTT has not Delivered any of the old style since Anderson did the switch to the new model - 2 or so years ago

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

[postquote quote=179370][/postquote]

Bill does your ball mount have the retaining collar with screws? When did this feature appear, do you know?

I bought mine in July 2017, from Andersen via Amazon, and it most definitely is Old School.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

<p style="text-align: left;">never seen one with screws.  Both old and new have a spring clip at base of ball shaft for retention in the housing.</p>

Bill

Well, in that case, if I were getting a new Ollie I would insist on the very latest hitch model with the collar and water seal on top, or a written promise for a free ball mount upgrade later.

OTT can send the older style ones that have left on the shelf back to Andersen.

One thing that bothers me when buying Andersen stuff is that they post teeny, often outdated pictures and no closeups of the mount. Sometimes the whale tail pictured is silver, sometimes it is the old black one. Maybe that is a way to sell off older inventory to unsuspecting buyers rather than scrapping them or discounting the price by 20%...

I got into a heated argument with the Andersen rep here on the forum long ago, questioning how a wide open design could function correctly in a dirty wet environment. They keep making changes to the basic design of the mount, trying to refine it. Which is a good thing. Hopefully this version will be the last one needed.

I remember when the Fast Lane video guys were using an Andersen for their tow tests and loved it. Then suddenly they were using convention steel bar hitches again. Maybe they got disillusioned when theirs started popping.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I received my new 2 5/16” head, it is gorgeous but I have questions.... I emailed Andersen for clarification.

59EC1326-D7D7-4089-BA97-20864FECA80F.thumb.jpeg.3294bd1aa39305b878ea5bba18c64ab5.jpeg

F5043AD2-1199-4B09-990B-72CCCA2F7670.thumb.jpeg.c6b2bbdaf146f0ea7157d10c1fe8922b.jpeg

E138AFC5-8AF2-4FD7-B071-4B21994E96EE.thumb.jpeg.aaf6183f888de9dff9f2c0c4b6e87d43.jpeg

Is that blue ring the friction cone, or a separate water seal? As delivered, it doesn’t contact the black retaining ring, but with towing use the cone (and blue ring?) will extrude upwards into the retainer ring, hopefully creating a water tight connection. Fingers crossed....

The new whaletail is silver, but its does NOT have the swiveling pin lugs, it is built similar to the old one except the internal diameter of the large hole is smaller. It won’t fit over the tail of my old ball... ???

D55AE97B-436E-4B2B-819D-CF9D4C2FC63F.thumb.jpeg.c80946310d5ca9fdf996cd64eb088bd4.jpeg

I also got a new 2 5/16” Bulldog coupler for $88 shipped. I will start a new thread for the coupler and for the hitch when I install them, which will be in a week, as I have a trip to the Wallowa Mountains in Oregon, starting in a couple of days.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

And, the purpose of the black ring at the top near the ball is?   Is there a snap ring on the bottom of the ball shaft.

Bill

There is a snap ring at the bottom. The black ring at the top is supposed to prevent the friction cone material from gradually oozing out (see KenB’s pic on the first page) and maybe possibly it also seals out water and dirt. That last part is still a mystery. Andersen must think it is important, it is a very major modification....

It looks super cool and nifty though, don’t you think? If I hear back from them I will post an update.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

The snap ring is what holds the ball shaft in the housing.  Last summer when I visited them I showed my simple rubber damn that I put over the ball to help keep moisture out of the assembly.  Theirs is much more complicated but mine seems to work.

Bill

What is diameter of hitch pin holding chains to the triangle plate? Is it 1/2 inch diameter? I want to get a longer pin with the pull handle.  Also, is it possible to tighten the chains too tight?  I am at five threads showing and the chains are mighty tight.  No give at all.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

[postquote quote=180273][/postquote]

Ken, When I was towing with the Chevrolet 1500 I had 7 threads showing. I tightened them real tight to try to reduce bucking. With the Duramax I have now I have backed off to 6 and will probably back off to 5. The ride is so much better with the 3/4 ton truck.

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

"Normal" is 6 threads showing.   I went to 7 and was told by an Anderson rep that was too tight.  When straight and level the chains should barely give when stepped on with moderate pressurepressure.

• 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, markncall said:

I noticed that the new Bulldog coupler on Mr. Davies post does not have the mounting holes.  Does it have to be drilled?

Yes, it comes undrilled. 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3483-how-to-upgrade-the-bulldog-coupler-and-andersen-hitch-to-2-516/

John Davies

Spokane WA