Found my huge dust leak..... inspect your emergency exit seal!

I always wondered why my rear window dumped large quantities of fine dust into the back of the cabin when towing off pavement! I was making a nifty “Panorama Window” lanyard to hold it fully open so I could clean around the frame, and also hold it fully open when camping (when there are no bugs).... this is what I found:

55D5AE4D-E720-411F-B7BC-5EAC729ACFF9.thumb.jpeg.5c8307cbd6898070b9787a9de825a918.jpeg

That is a 3.5” gap, and there is a second one....

22FD5DF6-62F0-45BD-B8C9-9849FB63B1E8.thumb.jpeg.1072ba7115838a53d1e127a6c7fa1c70.jpeg

Please inspect your hatch seal and tell me if yours is like this. It looks intentional, but maybe they just ran out of seal? Is there any valid reason to have these huge gaps?

The seal is soft foam, 3/8” wide x 1/4” thick. I am going to replace the entire seal with 1/2” wide material, all the way around. I will leave a couple of 1/8” wide moisture drain slots, one near each bottom corner.....

Stuff like this just makes me very mad.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’ve noticed that on mine also. Obviously they come from the window manufacturer like that, but why, I’ve no idea. Perhaps the gaps act as a secondary drain in case water gets through the seal, or perhaps it’s somehow related to the egress function (maybe it makes it easier to open if the seals are old and gunked  up? Dunno).

• Thanks 1

This is a Lippert 8600 Series window. I emailed their customer service asking, why the gaps and can I seal them?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Haven't opened mine yet. Is that egress window hinged at the top? I assumed it would fall away when opened.

Neil

Neil & Diana

Living full time in our Oliver traveling North America

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II Raised Twin Bed. Hull # 138

2020 F250 4x4, Supercab, Longbed, 7.3 gasser

Yes it is permanently attached at the top, it can’t fall away.... You should test your exit window to make sure that it is operating OK, and that you have a plan on how to exit out of it in the event of a fire. If you have a bike rack, that can be a problem because of the handlebars. While it is open, clean all the parts, look at the seals and tell us what you see. Got gaps?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Administrators

We looked at a few in the plant and it appears the weather stripping is left of where the weep holes align in the frame for water drainage. I'm curious if Lippert confirms this assumption.

egress.thumb.jpg.25265809ad03b47c9ae9f932684c485e.jpg

• Thanks 2

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

• 8 months later...

Lippert says this is “as designed”. I added extra seal strips along the bottom, leaving MUCH smaller drain slots.

John Davies

Spokane WA