Does the front cover have to be removed to install the Anderson Hitch

Trainman

My question is, to install the Anderson WDH does the front fiberglass cover have to be removed to get the chain brackets installed. I already have purchased the Anderson hitch, extra chain, and quick links. I will install the Anderson at the camping ground, no problem for me to do it, just didn't want to pay the $230 install fee by Oliver for 30-40 minuets of work. So do I need to remove the fiberglass shroud or not, if I had an Oliver to look at I would know if there is enough clearance to do the job, or not, does the shroud removal require any special tools, or knowledge that I don't know of. John E Davies I'm sure you have the answer for me, but any help on this matter would be appreciated by those in the know, thanks to all.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Nope you're good. Watch YouTube video. You can place brackets in normal position on outside frame rails or on as center as JD did.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you install along the centerline, it is harder to reach and adjust the big adjusting nuts, and it requires some metal removal on the Andersen brackets which is best done with a power tool like a bench grinder. The C/L installation does not need the pointy grub screws which damage the frame, and the stresses are concentrated on the main tube. Otherwise, either location works fine.

If I had to do it again, on a new trailer, I would still choose the C/L. .... http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-anderson-weight-distributing-hitch-center-frame-location/

**** There is some misinformation in that thread. You do not need to remove the doghouse to install in the factory location, which is on the second and fourth beams, not on the outer beams. At the time I wrote it nobody told me about the factory installation and I could not find any closeup pictures for an Ollie. I can’t edit anything in that thread because of a forum change.

Enjoy your delivery day, try to take notes, air down the tires, and enjoy your new toy. Are they still putting people in Fall Hollow the first night? I thought that the campground owners were nice but it really is a scruffy place, with underground potable water spigots in the same dank dirty holes as the sewer pipes. Yuck. Does that meet any kind of code?

John Davies

Spokane WA

28465A82-AC7B-42CE-A919-839397758F6C.thumb.jpeg.885206ffaf00bd475170950f45a5d21f.jpeg

B7B4320D-0F06-465F-BCE8-DAC982C6B16B.thumb.jpeg.a8e94aaecc288b58ccb5197b93cbddfb.jpeg

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the great info in this alternate installation location.

I wish a civil engineer was available to comment on this alternate location.  It seems the pulling force from an angled chain would be more effective than straight back when controlling sway.

Also one comment on the setup (beautiful instructions by the way and thank you)....you emergency break-away cable should NOT be attached to the same clip as the safety cables.  If something happens with the cable connection then the break-away cable for the emergency brake would no longer be connected to the TV.  This should be an independent connection to the TV to still activate the emergency brake when the distance between the trailer and TV increases in a mishap.

Thanks!

Greg

Retired Navy Chief

ARS: AB7R

• Thanks 1

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Well the alternate location is fine, but I'm going to be at the camping ground and installing the Anderson hitch there, so I won't have the proper tools to cut steel, etc. So my original question was can I install the Anderson brackets with the fiberglass shroud on, or does it need to come off and how hard is it to remove. thanks

trainman

After reading the instructions provided in the link in one of the replies it seems it would either need to be removed or partly cut.  To me, cutting would not be an option and removing the doghouse sounds troublesome.

Maybe a machine shop nearby that you can ask them to quickly round off the bracket corners and cut the chains after making the measurements?

Greg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

• Moderators

[postquote quote=179016][/postquote]

Agree with Bill, I don’t think any cutting is necessary. Mine certainly wasn’t. You just need to get underneath to attach the brackets. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I repeat - nope you're good which means - you do not have to cut or remove any fiberglass to install the Anderson hitch

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for that info on the hitch install. I will be installing the hitch at the camping grounds we will be staying at after the delivery. I see no problem installing the hitch and I'm pretty handy with things like this. I already have my extra chain, quick links, etc. I will look at another trailer in for service to measure where the brackets go, or ask someone there that installs the hitches. I thank everyone who has answered my questions on the Anderson, I first started out and was not wanting to use a WDH, but you out there have convinced me to use one. Thanks again.

trainman

• Thanks 2

My Anderson came with the trailer.  I never used it, and finally removed the frame brackets.

There was no alteration done to any fiberglass during the original installation.

During installation, the important part is getting frame brackets set right, slanted in the right direction, and the set screws installed correctly.  Installing a new one, I'd not drill in the setscrews and see if it worked without them.

It seems many people buy these hitches as insurance, if they are concerned about possible sway, rather than because they actually know they need them.  Olivers are extremely stable trailers, but the tongue weight may require you to use a weight distributing hitch.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19