Check cotter pin in step rod

• Moderators

Nice catch!  That’s one of those things I took for granted.  After a quick inspection, I’m good.

Thanks, Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks. Sometimes we forget to look at even the most obvious parts. Remember that there are two!

One extra step to do - bend both cotter pin “ears” sharply inwards toward the shaft and then squeeze them tight, so that there are no gaps to hook a wash rag or your skin. Exposed cotter pins are dangerous and can really hurt you if they are wobbly and the sharp bits stick out, as in your picture. They should be installed as tightly as possible.

9C16354A-B1F2-432C-9363-40F0FB774F5B.thumb.jpeg.655ef397ed4c60cc59b041f729746b93.jpeg

I think a stout outside retaining (snap) ring would be a better choice here, and it would look much classier. But it is easier and cheaper to drill a hole than to machine a groove. That is a future mod for somebody who has access to a lathe....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think it is amusing that the only thing Ollie owners can say about their steps is that they can trap water when folded, or the cotter pin fell out. Regular thin formed steel RV steps literally break and injure people. I talked to an Airstream owner who told me his two year old steps failed and the dealer charged him $900 to install new ones.

B670DD38-C84F-4353-8017-F55E6D0CB70F.jpeg.56716500c9216345b0ace5f089764c35.jpeg

Your pin and washer cost what? $1.98?

These are great trailers.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

the only thing Ollie owners can say about their steps

I can say that when I was researching trailers and when I first saw and understood the construction of the Ollie's steps is when I fully realized how superior this trailer is to the others.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg