Fiberglass Propane Tanks

My search for a travel trailer began when my wife saw a Casita in our neighborhood while on a walk. The Casita steered me to Oliver after a few weeks.

i have been in the Furniture business for 45 years starting with Antiques and quickly moving to Antique Reproductions of solid oak  Like round Oak tables and Roll Top Desks.

For 25 years we only sold Furniture we could guarantee for a lifetime.

When I buy things that is what I look to buy.

My first factory visit April 2017 Anita told me about Viking Fiberglass propane tanks.

I investigated and purchased two of Vikings biggest tanks.

They weigh half as much,last 5 or 10 times longer and you can see how much is in the tank.

When I went to pick up our Oliver Elite II #266 in October 2017 Anita had turned anti Propane tanks.

A Tennessee company Lite Cylinders made 55,000 defective tanks they were to recall but they went bankrupt.

Viking tanks are certified in over 130 countries.

They are so much easier to lift in and out of the Oliver Propane housing.

I have been moving heavy furniture for 45 years but most people haven’t and most of the girls aren’t heavy weight lifters.

They do cost more. The 22lb cost me $299 landed for a pair.

BCEE2EBC-C130-4E52-B27D-6A7EE80F279E.thumb.jpeg.e305ea23c3435afe80d2780dd29de487.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting. Two full 22 lb Viking  bottles would weight about 32 pounds less than my two full 30 lb steel bottles. (A 30 lb steel bottle weighs about 25 pounds empty.) I have been trying to get my tongue weight down and this would be one way to do it. Of course I could always go with two 20 pound steel cans .... that would give a similar weight reduction, with a slightly lower propane capacity, but without the high cost or sex appeal of the ‘glass ones....

Steel bottles have to be recertified at 12 years and then every 5. They don’t have a certain life expectancy, they just rust out at some point. Any propane supplier like Amerigas can do it in a day.

The Viking bottles have a 15 year life, BUT they have to be recertified every 5 years from the date of manufacture, and only at specific shops. The closest one to me is 225 miles away..... I guess you could empty them and ship them. Since they are bulky it would probably cost $30 each way.

I have no idea what the cost of recertifying is for either type.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/support/find-requalifier/

I used to have a 4500 psi carbon fiber compressed air tank, for a PCP air rifle, it had similar specs to the Viking tanks. And similar problems with getting it recertified. For most people these limitations and the very high cost (you can buy a new steel 30 pounder on eBay for $37 shipped) don’t make any sense at all, unless want to see the fluid level, or you want to be way cooler than your neighbors at the KOA....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’ve run across places with signs that say they won’t refill fiberglass tanks, so that may be something to consider.  I looked at aluminum tanks when I was researching, but the weight savings wasn’t as much and didn’t seem worth the price. Can the fiberglass tanks use Oliver’s mounting hardware or do they require something different?

• Like 2

The bases are much larger diameter than steel bases, so you would have to buy the Viking double mount for $40.

You would also need to lock them, which I don’t bother doing with cheap ones.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

For the added aggravation, cost, and such, I see no reason to make this mod  - to each his own.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread, Sofaman, how have these tanks worked for you? Can you post pictures of your installation? There is still no recertification facility within 250 miles of me. Has a propane supplier refused to fill them? Three years with no response -  that seems like a fine way to just stir up trouble in the forum…😬

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:11 AM, BackofBeyond said:

For the added aggravation, cost, and such, I see no reason to make this mod  - to each his own.

I  agree with you, all mods do not make a lot of sense to me,  trainman 

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I sold #266 and kept the fiberglass tanks. I use them for the BBQ. We just bought #266 back. New owner bought 30 pound steel tanks. I am going to fill both steel and fiberglass. Use the fiberglass to power a Joolca instant water heater to take showers in one of their tents between the opened back doors of our Sprinter. I am getting 32 gallon saddle tanks for over the wheel wells for shower and backup water. A guy in Bellingham makes them for the thousands of converted Sprinter Vans. In almost five years we and the other owners never took a shower in #266. I recently stayed at the Ambassador RV park in Caldwell Idaho when I picked up 266. The showers were cleanest I have seen. Half their property is in monthly renters and it is the tidiest park I have stayed at with monthly’s.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Welcome back, @Sofaman!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

There has just got to be an interesting story about the life of #266.

I'd love to hear it.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"