Oliver Elite 1 tongue weight

Newshoes

Help! trying to get a confirmation on the factory tongue weight (TW), I understand that the TW should be around 10-15% of the GVW. Which in theory means the Legacy Elite would be at a minimum of 500lbs. I had a read a comment that Olivers says 325lbs is the TW?

I have a drawbar scale that indicates 520 lbs +/-, which I confirmed today on the truck scales at a sand and gravel operation. Just trying to get a good feel for what my remaining onboard (the truck) capacity may be. Thanks!

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

• Moderators

Those comments are probably completely dry weight.

Your 500 lb tongue, at 10 to 15%, means your loaded weight should roughly be between 3400 and 5000 lbs. I think 5000 is the gvwr of the elite.

I know our tongue weight is somewhere around 400 or 420 loaded for camping, with propane and some fresh and grey water. What are you carrying on the tongue, or storing far forward? Do you have a basket on the tongue? Is your trailer towing pretty level, or down on the tongue?

I'm curious, because I don't think our older trailers are any lighter than the new Elites.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The Wonder Egg (Legacy Elite #14) weighs just under 4000 lbs fully loaded with water and clothes & food for extended camping.  I have about 90 lbs in the back for my bike hitch, bike rack, and bike - no basket on the front.  My current tongue weight is 400 lbs.  Without the hitch/rack/bike hanging out the back, it is 440 lbs

Although the Wonder Egg's axle has a max load of 5200 lbs, I could never imagine stuffing another 1000 lbs of gear into the trailer.

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

The trailer weighs 3750 according to the truck scale. Oliver said it weight 3850. I have perhaps 50lbs of gear in it right now, propane tanks are full and the water tanks are empty. Nothing on the tongue. nothing but the spare tire out back. Trailer level when hooked up to the truck.  So currently the TW is around 14% of GVW!

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

Pack some heavy stuff away from the front of the cabin, or put a rack behind the bumper and carry a bike. Olivers don’t need anywhere near 10% tongue weight, that is Lawyer Talk. With conventional stick and staple trailers, or even an aluminum can (Airstream) they do sway with a light tongue.

Especially if you are using an Andersen hitch, you can go lighter without worries, just do it a little at a time to see how it pulls, and don’t overload a rear rack. OTT says 100 pounds max back there, which I would definitely follow with your Elite. Some Elite II owners are carrying more weight but I think that is starting to get into the shady risky area..... tandem axle trailers are inherently less likely to sway, but I think the rack structure would not like more than 100 pounds.

How do you like your Canyon so far?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John.

As for the Canyon, VERY pleased with the decision; I think it is the perfect TV for my needs; More than adequate power for my setup. Max Combined GVW is 13,700: Ready to go with full fresh water tank I am looking at around 10,000 CGVW. Fuel mileage is phenomenal for a pickup (34+/- without the Ollie and 22+/- towing). Venturing west of the Mississippi I am sure the mileage will take a hit. No plans to do that anytime soon. No this is not a commercial for the Canyon! I had a Honda Ridgeline, nice truck but NOT stout enough for duty with an Oliver. Thanks for asking.

• Thanks 1