Honda Generator Eco-throttle...use or not use?

markaday

Hi everyone,

Searched the forum for this subject and did not find anything on it thus far.  Recently purchased the Honda EU 22001 and its companion for some boondocking we'll be doing this weekend.  Owner's manual says not to use the eco-throttle for 'high energy using appliances'.  Not sure what that means - and/or how to qualify.  Best I can tell, I should be able to hook the two units together, turn the eco-throttle to 'on' on both units, and be good to go.  When the AC powers up [we do have the soft start and solar set up]...the gens do their thing and we're good to do.

Any reason to be concerned with this that you know of?  Your expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't have a generator but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

One of those Hondas will run the ait but I would only put it in econ mode after the initial start since you have the microair.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

In Eco mode there is a noticeable lag while the engine speed increases. With a high load the generator “may” not be able to handle all that current and “may” kick off the over current protection circuit breaker. It won’t hurt anything, there will be a big sag in the voltage that you can see on your surge protector panel. If the air conditioning picks up and runs properly, don’t worry about it, if it doesn’t work right, switch off Eco when running that high load.

One thing to understand when you shut down a Honda with that big rotary switch. It kills the spark and also the fuel supply at the same time. When you have the engine turning full rpm, somewhere around 3600 rpm I think, it stays spinning for quite a few revolutions. This sucks raw unburned gas from the carb into the cylinder. This tends to flood the spark plug and it also washes away oil from the cylinder walls. Not especially good.....

If you put it in Eco before shutting down, the engine rpm is lower and the amount of inhaled gas is reduced.

My Yamaha 2400 has a separate fuel shutoff, which I really like, since I can turn off that gas valve and let it run until it dies, draining the carb (mostly), and then turn off the ignition. It starts way easier the next time than my EU1000i ever did, usually with a single pull. The Honda rarely did that.

7B69CFD1-F588-49F5-8A5A-339538D85990.thumb.jpeg.5d70f88aef44d30932fe6f1c9af717c2.jpeg

So with any Honda, remember to unplug the cord, switch to Eco, let it idle for a minute to cool down, then turn it off.....

And BTW, the Yamaha has an Eco mode but no switch to turn it on or off. I kinda wish there was one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

You may find it better to run just one generator and leave the "Eco" off, if running the AC.  The AC cycles occasionally and the generator will be happier if it is already up to speed for a high amp starting load like the AC.  But you can't be running the Microwave at the same time if you do this.  Also, generators lose about 3% 0f their capacity per 1,000 ft of elevation, so if you are at a higher elevation, you'll have to run both generators.  Eco is nice, but if you are in the trailer with the AC running, you probably won't hear the generator, so it won't need to idle down during the normal cycling of the AC.  And the fuel savings will be minimal with Eco in that situation, so I don't know why you would be interested in using Eco mode.

The Easy start went through a "learn" cycle when it was installed.  This gave it a chance to understand your generator, at the elevation you were at, and with the generator you'd be using.   If there is some abnormality, you might have to do that again.

I don't know why you'd want to run both generators if they are not needed.  And they should not be if you manage your loads or are at a lower elevation.  Don't run the microwave with the AC on, try to have your batteries mostly charged before using the AC, etc.

I find it hard to understand how a place could be fun to visit if I had to sit inside a closed up trailer all day, with two generators running and the AC blasting.  And I would not want to leave the trailer and go do something with all of that going on.  Pets left inside, for instance, could be in trouble if there was a generator problem while you were gone.  And then there are the other campers in the area that get to listen to your generators.  I would do whatever it took to get away from dual generators at full throttle from a nearby camp.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Since you mentioned pets inside and the possibility of the AC going off, let me share a gadget shared with me by KountryKamper - SensorPush.  With two monitors, the Gateway, and internet connection using my Verizon Mifi Jetpack8800L, I can monitor temp and humidity inside refrigerator and at the dinette table from any remote location using a iPhone app.  The  gadget stores data in the Cloud (no service required) so able to see trends.  Very fun gadget and allows monitoring Oliver temps remotely.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Bill, John, Raspy, and KWR - thanks again for all the advice and input.  Here are some observations from this past weekend...

*Would have LOVED to run only the main 2200i generator, however even at full throttle it would kick off once the AC powered up.  We tried using the bonded ground plug...and then moved to over-riding the surge protector.  Either way...one unit wouldn't cut it.

*We then hooked up both units.  Ran at full throttle.  Hooked up the bonded ground plug.  It would cut off when the A/C powered up.

*Finally, ran both units; full throttle; overrode the surge protector.  ONLY THEN did everything work fine.  Of course - this creates a lot of noise, costs gas, and is a big problem if one forgets to turn the surge protector back to normal before hooking up to shore power.    But it was the only way to get it working without a problem.

*In my opinion, there is something wrong with the easy start on the A/C.  Have been in touch with Jason at Oliver and I think we are in agreement the only way to know for sure will be to schedule a time to bring the camper with the generators to test it out and see what is going on.

*To Raspy's point about running two generators; stuck inside the unit; leaving the unit with all that going on, etc.:  On this particular trip we went to my son-in-law and daughter's home in Columbus, Ohio - where they have 40 acres of land.  We set the camper up with the generators to see how all of this would go.  Because we were not in a campground, noise was not an issue.  We didn't leave the units to run all day...only at night when we would be there.  And we keep the dog with us pretty much at all times :).  We truly believe we can get to the point where one generator will do it, but need to further explore what is going on with the easy start.

*Additionally, we learned enough about the process to say it makes most sense to 'boondock' in the spring or fall when the temps are much cooler.  Use solar for all our needs; manage the power accordingly; use propane for heat at night - and all good.  Bring the generator only as a backup.  This way neighbors won't be frustrated, we enjoy peace and quiet, etc.  In those occasions where it's hot...try to use only one unit assuming easy start gets figured out.

*Will let you know what we find with Jason at the Oliver plant.  Until then - thanks again for all the information!

Markaday

In my opinion, there is something wrong with the easy start on the A/C.

If the A/C runs fine on shore power, then that's almost certainly the case.  I had similar symptoms on mine - overload on compressor startup, but otherwise it would work.  In my case, Oliver actually forgot to install the easy start, which I'm at least 99% certain was why it wasn't working.

• Thanks 1

That is my concern as well...that maybe they forgot altogether to install the easy start.  Now that I know it's happened before, I am beginning to wonder all the more.

We shall see!

Will let you know...

Thanks, again -

I had the exact problem with mine. What I did to correct this issue was went through the starting procedure again and now using the Honda 2000i it works like a charm. It took a good while before even thinking about the start up procedure. If you have not tried that I would give it a shot. Using one 2000 w gen works well with the Honda on eco mode, I just get the impression the thing is working hard.

I mentioned in another post an issue I had with the Easy Start . Now I have to go to Hohenwald next week to have my Easy Start checked out cause apparently when installed on my original air conditioner it wasn’t installed properly and it shorted. How do I know? Because my original air conditioner after one year of use had to be replaced because of a bad compressor and during the rally this year, I had it replaced and when I asked the tech to move the Easy Start to the new unit , we found out it was shorted and didn’t work. This was why I bought two generators because with one, the air conditioner would not start and I thought that the generator wasn’t strong enough, so I bought the other one and put them in parallel and my air worked great. So I am getting a new Easy Start and I hope to have it be able to only use the one generator and ill keep the other one for my home. Or so I hope

• Moderators

[postquote quote=180966][/postquote]

Did your air condition and easy start ever work on a single generator?  Who installed your easy start?

Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

geO - Not sure what you mean by going through the 'start-up' procedure again.  At first, I tried the Honda 2200i with the bonded ground plug; AC didn't work [in full throttle mode]; removed the plug and overrode the surge protector...still didn't work; added the companion generator with the bonded plug and 'normal' surge operation...didn't work.  The ONLY way i could get the A/C to work would be to run both generators/full throttle/bypass the surge protector.  Are you saying after all of that maybe all i need to do is try one more time with the single generator with the bonded ground plug?

Corcomi - I share your pain!  At the very least this will require my taking a couple half days off work for the trouble.  It will be a bit frustrating if i learn someone forgot to test...or worse yet install the easy start altogether.  But...we'll just have to see.

Mossemi - Never could get the A/C to run without both generators at full throttle and bypassing the internal surge protector in the camper.  Easy start was ordered through Oliver; picked up the unit in April.  Last weekend was the first time we tried boondocking where all of this has showed up.

• Moderators

[postquote quote=181077][/postquote]

Was your air conditioner covered under warranty? And I assume the Easy-Start will be covered under warranty if the factory installed it.

Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Wow.  Well - I have the unit scheduled at the Oliver plant next Thursday.  I'll probably let the experts see what is up...but from these links it certainly appears the 'relearning' aspect could be a key part of all this.  We'll let Jason and his team see what's up and i'll report back.

As always - THANKS to everyone...

MH

• 3 months later...

Hello friends! About 3 months ago I mentioned an issue with the EZ Start / A.C. unit on a 3 month old unit [#453/Elite II]. In order to boondock we had to use not one, but two Honda generators at full blast to keep the A/C running. We knew we'd have to run one unit...didn't expect to have to hook up the tandem.

Anyhow. All fingers pointed to the EZ Start. In the end, it was the A/C unit that needed replacing. Jason at Oliver explained the whole thing, but what I seem to remember most was the unit was simply pulling too many amps and didn't allow the EZ Start to be effective.

Oliver stood by the unit and took care of everything. Sorry I took so long for the update, and thanks to all for the valuable information along the way!

Cheers, Markaday

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

Glad to hear that.

For future readers, eco mode only works well for us ( honda 1000) under light load. It will surge and hunt when under heavy load, under 50 per cent of rated load. Say, 500 watts.

Last week, we charged two olivers from a single honda 1000, with over 100 ft of good heavy cord, but still a lot of resistance. We didn't use eco. Worked great.

At the beginning, might have to use the choke a few times.

We're only charging batteries, not trying to run ac. Not possible with a honda 1000.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We had the identical issue with our AC pulling too many amps. Of course that was the last thing we checked - after rechecking the Easy Start install, checking both old Honda 2000,s with bad stators (that contributed to diagnosing the problem). Finally paid attention to the amp draw with both Honda’s in parallel. Took TT to local RV shop who communicated with Oliver and replaced the AC unit. After testing with two borrowed Honda 2000s, one at a time, at the Rally the issue was gone. I then purchased a Honda 2200 and added a propane kit to it. AC runs without a problem.

• Thanks 1

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus 
2007 Tundra 
Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior