Equalizer hitch, Andersen or nothing?

Jitters

Hi all.

I've been debating the hitch options.  I have an equalizer hitch already....I recall it has the 1400-lb bars...maybe the 1K (not used for some time).  But all the reading I can find says these are not compatible with Ollie without FG modification on the tongue.  So I sort of resigned myself to the Andersen option with all its flaws (and pluses).

But now I am thinking if I should even bother.  TV is a 2018 Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 Ecotec shortbed double cab with max tow options (added spring and other gizmos).  HP 420 and torque is 480.  Towing max is 11,700 and payload is 2,110.  If I add up passengers, fuel, cargo, aprox hitch weight and a generous tongue weight (800) i'm still almost 500 lbs below payload (need to check GAWR).

Do you think it's safe to drive home (Idaho) without using the WDH or should I get it as an added safety margin?

Thanks!!

Greg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Greg,

Sounds like a stout 1/2 ton pickup. Recommend checking your Sierra owners manual to verify the following information is correct for your TV.

Found this online about the 2018 Sierra 1500 4X4 Crewcab Shortbed (could not find double cab short bed) with Ecotec 3  6.2L engine and max trailering package. From what I'm reading online WDH is required when towing over 7000 pounds.

In some cases depending on vehicle/trailer loading and handling, a WDH still may be needed below 7000 pounds trailer weight. All of us load our trailers and TV differently. I still pull TV/Ollie rig over a CAT scale annually to be sure I'm not exceeding any maximum weight capacities (axles/GVW) and I'm within operator's manual requirements.

(Automatic transmission with conventional ball hitch section)

https://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts

LE2

Thanks Bill.  That was my source as well.  I did read the part about the WDH over 7K lbs.  Since that is the max of the Ollie I will not be over that.  More likely around the 6K weight.  I don't travel with water, rather get it nearby a camping location.  Lots of gear in the truck as well.   The truck does have the stabiltrak anti-sway feature.

Tnx

Greg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

• Moderator+

You don’t “need” the Andersen Hitch with your truck. We pulled our Oliver very successfully with that truck (except crew cab) and no WDH or Anti-Sway. My opinion is that you’ll be fine without it.

I believe you’ve overestimated your tongue weight (to your favor.) Ours “only” weighs 700 pounds and has two 30 lb propane tanks and 200 lbs of generator and basket and assorted other gear sitting on it.

We are currently in Alaska but plan on coming through Idaho on the way home.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

My trailer had a tongue weight of about 700 with the factory cargo tray and 100 pounds of stuff. I moved it all to the back and it is around 500 now. About 600 with the rack empty.... I don't think you will have any worries using a dead weight hitch, but you might want rear airbags later to level the bed.

480 ft lbs.....? That is pretty impressive from a 6.2 l normally aspirated engine. What axle ratio comes with that Max Tow package?

Where is home? North Idaho has some impressively steep back roads, I have used Low Range while towing in a previous underpowered truck (1996 LX450) on a couple of grades. I don’t think you will have a problem with your rig....

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Jitters-

Check everything you can find.  Most (if all) half ton trucks "require" a wd hitch.  Even with figures at or exceeding yours on my f-150 there is a little sticker on the hitch assembly that says a wd is required for hitch ball weights over 500 pounds.  If you value your warranty and are concerned about possible liability issues make certain none is required.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  A bit extreme but decided to get a new truck.  2017 ram 3500 Laramie Limited mega cab.  I missed my ram dually I had before. I may need to use the rear camera to make sure Ollie still there.  :)

So I'll be using a BW stow and go.  The truck hitch is right at 23 inches.  Does anyone think a receiver with 7 inch drop is too much or should I go for the 5 inch one?

Thanks

Greg

20190711_103325.thumb.jpg.d5c3e32a05e454f862e77d924605631a.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg.4aa3f6345ac4e2f1432566420c5bc919.jpg

• Thanks 1

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Greg,

Wow, what a fine tow vehicle!!!!  You will need to look in the mirror to be sure you have Ollie connected!

My hitch is 23 1/2" top of the ball to ground before connecting Ollie. Probably have 1/2" of sag (with airbags) after connecting Ollie for a level to slightly nose high attitude.

LE2

[postquote quote=181254][/postquote]

Nice rig.....  a standard U Haul utility trailer has an 18” ball height. Unless you have another trailer that requires a low ball height I would go with the 5 “ drop version so it doesn’t hang down too far.

OTH in your shoes I would use a cheap dead weight ball mount (7500 pound rated) with 2.5” drop, which will put the ball right where you need it. It won’t weigh anything and you can toss it in a Ram Box when not needed.

What is your payload?

Post pictures when you get your Ollie.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

[postquote quote=181407][/postquote]

I don’t think your payload figure is right.  It should be around 4000 pounds with the Cummins. A dually is whole ‘nuther story....

Ram sure has increased the load capacity on the later trucks. My ‘06 3500 4wd Quad Cab SRW Cummins was 2800 pounds....

John Davies

Spokane WA

I tow with a Ram 3500 SRW.  I have tires that are 2" taller than stock, that lift the truck about 1".  My actual measured tongue weight is 570 lbs.   I use a 3" drop hitch and it is perfect.  This allows for an approximately 1 1/2" sag when connecting.  I probably have about  800 lbs of total gear, tools, etc, in the bed of the truck when traveling.  Ollie rides as close to level as possible set up like this, and the truck is slightly down in the back from the weight of the gear and the tongue weight combined.

It also seems like too many people buy the Anderson hitch out of fear, rather than because they actually have reason to think they need it.  Remember, Oliver trailers are extremely stable.   I have an Anderson hitch that came with my Oliver and I have never put it on.  It has never been even slightly needed.    Of course, nobody is qualified to tell someone else that they don't need a piece of safety gear.  But, does it make sense to buy out of fear?  Or with no data suggesting you really need it?  Or to buy it for sway, when all you need is weight distributing?

If you want to tow your LE2 with a Corolla, you'll need it.  If you want to tow your LE2 with a deuce and a half military truck, you won't need it.  How about a 1 ton Ram?  No.  How about a Ranger?  Yes.  Where exactly is the line?  Do you want one so that a lawyer can't possibly sue you?  Good luck with that.  We have friends that have towed their LE2 all over the country with an F-150, with no WDH.  Not the slightest problem ever.  Even though Ford says they need one with a tongue weight over 500 lbs.  Anderson hitches have been known to cause problems with Ford stability control systems.  In that situation, Anderson recommended turning off the Ford stability control system in the truck!  Yikes!  Never do that!  So, if you don't need it for stability, and it can cause instability when installed, and you're afraid to go without it, and Ford says you need one, but the truck drives fine without it, and Olivers are known for their inherent stability, what do you do?  And how can anyone tell you what to do?  My solution was to not use one, even though an Anderson  came with my Ollie.  Your mileage may vary.  Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I have mentioned this in the past, but I will repeat it.....

Get a long 1” shank ball, intended for going through a thick factory bumper. Get the 7500 pound rated version.

Use a regular type 7500 pound ball mount, around 2.5” drop.

Buy ten grade 8 1” ID large area washers to go on the shank. Do not use regular soft washers.

Now you have the ability to tune the ride height in small increments by moving washers around, above or below the hole flange.

KISS. Works great, cheap, lightweight.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Congrats! Trailer and truck look great side by side.

Will look even better going down the road. :)

Happy travels!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.