FACEBOOK ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

One of the ships that I was stationed on many years ago, has a reunion every eighteen to twenty months or so. Several of us have been communicating on http://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM. It has turned out to be a kind of daily thing that we post something simple there. This mornings post from me was, "coffee and email". Much quicker than an email or a blog posting, but it lets you know a bit about what friends are doing in their part of the world.

My question is, anybody on these forums using FACEBOOK ?

Here is a link to my Profile page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1543209751

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I deactivated my facebook account. I just don't have the time to keep up with facebook, too.

Today, someone hijacked a friend's account, and started sending out emails to all her friends with a video link that contained a virus. It is also posting comments on her friends' walls with a video link, containing the virus. Several of her friends have reported computer crashes due to the malicious fb spam.

If you get a facebook message or a wall post from someone that says, "Stupid Video with you".. or something to that effect, or a wall post that includes my_tube video, do not open it without checking with your fb friend, as it may contain the virus.

My daughter tells me this has been going around for awhile.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

That's pretty much the kind of pishing technique that is rampant internet wide. I just recognise them for what they are, much like a street panhandler, and ignore them. We have 1000 plus Face book friends and counting ! We just love it.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Don't you miss being able to talk to your sisters ? Maybe you could use skype ? It will text, voice and video. We use it all of the time. Free program.

• Moderators

The truth is, I talk to my sisters far more on the phone than facebook. With Voip, it doesn't cost any of us anything, either.

The email notice of the "video" supposedly sent to me by the hijacked friend looked very real... just couldn't imagine why she sent me a video, so I didn't open it. Then, I got a call, telling me not to open it, and call/text/post all our friends, because her computer had been attacked by the virus, as had been the computers of several friends who opened the malicious spam video.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of folks have a lot of fun on facebook. I just don't spend a lot of time there, anyway, so not a huge loss for me. I opened an account just to keep up with my niece in her travels... Belize last summer, South Korea for the next year... She sends me emails anyway.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.