Renogy 100w suitcase Amazon Prime deal

rideadeuce

193A6875-76DA-4A94-A226-6F44A2C16E7B.thumb.png.d8a55ab4d3b96da08b1bc9d9fadd78a2.png

That is a heck of a sale price..... if you want one, buy Right Now. That is a today only price and they may sell out.... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079JVBVL3/?coliid=IQOA7UNUKCHSA&colid=1X5H11EH41351&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks for the heads up.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Ordered one of those...thanks for the tip.  Need to find a Zamp external plug as our pickup is in August.

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Thanks, John.

We're buying Raspy's trailer, and he has one of these, 100w. Do you think we need another for short-term boondocking? I'm guessing we could daisy chain them together.

Thank you,

Monica

Wine Gal, Monica

"Opus" - lovingly named after our favorite wine, Opus One. Hull 92.

I called Renogy and got an answer on daisy chaining suitcase solar panels together. You can do it easily if they don't have a controller. If there's a controller, it will have to be removed, which will void the warranty.

Wine Gal, Monica

"Opus" - lovingly named after our favorite wine, Opus One. Hull 92.

• Moderators

Honestly, you should be fine short term with one hundred watts, if you have them in the sun for roughly 11 to three, at a good angle. That's typically our best sun.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We’re buying Raspy’s trailer, and he has one of these, 100w. Do you think we need another for short-term boondocking?

It depends on how much energy you anticipate using. The microwave can use a lot of power. Clearly, @rideadeuce would not have added additional solar panels to go from 350 watts to 520 watts if only a 100-watt panel could be sufficient.

There was a good thread discussing energy use HERE, and you could conduct an Energy Audit as described HERE.

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

With good solar access, Oliver's standard solar package is well balanced for the battery bank and more than adequate to recover from a night of typical use.  Typical use would be using the lighting however you wish, ~20 minutes of microwave*/toaster oven use, hair dryer, water pump, etc.  Basically, just using your trailer without too much thought towards conserving electricity.  That seems to be around 70-80Ah for most people and we've found that to be quite accurate (if we exclude our marine fridge).  That's an average, of course.  We've used as little as 40Ah and as much as 160Ah.  YMMV.  If you plan to sous vide short ribs for 48 hours, then you probably need a generator, or better menu planning.

IF you plan to camp in winter, or shady areas, or have an additional draw like a 12 volt refrigerator, then a 100w portable panel will be of use.  It will also be helpful for charging while in storage, if you store your trailer covered.

IF you plan to boondock for more than three days at a time, then either a generator or a 100w portable panel plus extra battery storage will be of use.  (All the solar in the world won't help if you're parked under a tree canopy.)

IF you need to run the A/C while boondocking, then you need a either a generator or an additional truck to carry the batteries and solar that you'd need.

For most people, I would recommend a portable panel long before I'd recommend a generator.  For people who boondock a lot, I'd recommend a generator long before I'd recommend extra batteries.  This is entirely down to the relative cost.  I would also recommend a portable panel long before I'd recommend upgrading your rooftop solar, for both performance and versatility reasons.

Read this post about how we determined our solar needs and for good rules of thumb for determining your own - our estimates were spot on FOR US (marine fridge plus winter camping).  Ideally, you both size the panels for your needs and balance the battery bank and panels.  Our system would have been oversized for the battery bank, but we ended up adding more storage to match our panels and that turned out to be wise.  Our system is overkill in Moab in May with nothing but sun, but right on the edge in Big Bend in December with 50/50 clouds.  And in the Smokies in November with rain and shade and fallen leaves covering our panels, it requires diligent power conservation or plugging in mid-week.  Our goal was/is to be able to camp for a full week in spring, fall and winter without hookups and without having to worry about it too much, and we're pretty much there.

* Not sure about the MW since we don't have one.