Quickly Cooling Down Refrigerator at Start of Trip

We have the Dometic RM2454 fridge in our Ollie, and we have found that it can take a long time to get it to the correct temperature when it is warm hot. If I bring the trailer home from the storage place and start up the fridge, after 24 hours the fridge is only in the 50's or low 60's. It can take another night to reach the correct temp.

This procedure can be a problem. For this trip, I was getting the trailer on Monday, and we wanted to depart today, a Tuesday. Yesterday I started the fridge on propane at 7 AM and brought the trailer home. Yesterday it was close to 100. At 5 PM, the fridge was in only in the low 70's. And then I had an idea. We have a bunch of blue ice containers in our freezer at home, and I moved them all to the trailer fridge. In four hours the fridge was in the mid 40's. This morning the fridge was at 36°F.

It seems so obvious, but hindsight is always 20-20.

• Thanks 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

It sounds as if something is wrong, it should cool faster on propane. But you have to set the temp to max cold (fifth light illuminated). After cooling down and loading stuff, set it back to the desired temp. Have you been doing that?

On 120 volts AC it seems to take a long time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
We have a bunch of blue ice containers in our freezer at home, and I moved them all to the trailer fridge. In four hours the fridge was in the mid 40’s. This morning the fridge was at 36°F. It seems so obvious, but hindsight is always 20-20.

It does seem obvious now that you mention it, but I hadn’t thought of that. We have 20a at our storage so I keep the fridge on all the time, but will remember the blue ice method next time we shut it off for cleaning or when we take it in for a service. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We keep a couple gallon jugs of water in our home freezer & transfer them to Ollie fridge prior to trip. After fridge is cold & stocked, if they're still frozen, they go to cooler or if not frozen, they go in bathroom.

• Thanks 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

We do the same, Shallowgal. Having the cold sink in the fridge really helps cut the cooling time.Double bonus, in summertime in Florida, its great to have those big ice blocks in the home freezer for power outages. We found some flat 1.6 gallon or so water containers at Walmart that really help the cooler stay cold, too. Tough to find block ice anymore.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.