Temporary Tow Vehicle

WhatDa

Looks like an order SNAFU may have us out of 2019 and into 2020 for our TV.  Anyone have any good ideas for a temp tow vehicle?  Enterprise Truck seems to be the only commercial option that allows towing...

Between Olivers…

How far do you have to tow it? It isn’t economical to rent a HD truck long term, Enterprise wants $2100 per month for a3/4 ton gas truck....

Do you have a friend with a big enough truck that can do you a favor?

Do you have to pay sales tax on used vehicles? Could you buy a cheap old bruiser for the short term, then resell it? Or trade it on your new one?

Call Oliver Sales and ask about delivery options.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We were hoping to travel initially.  Some of the Enterprises were more like $1700/month for a 3/4 ton with unlimited mileage which wouldn't be the end of the world and might be plan b or c.  I just finalized our order without the Andersen hitch.  Plan A is hoping for RAM 2020 order banks to open or for the 2019 order banks to have our desired options or maybe the right dealer builds the right truck...

I have considered buying something used, but really rolling the dice on buying a lemon / having it die on me.

Between Olivers…

Come on, this is easy! As JD stated, go find a decent used truck, 3/4 ton, gas/diesel, and get on with it. worried about a lemon, have it inspected by a mechanic you trust (if your not capable), and go enjoy, the WWW is full of information on resale values, driving costs, etc.

When your ready for the  new TV, sell or trade  in the  former TV. Leasing or rental is dollars thrown away for sure. With the former, one has a shot at recouping some of the $$$.

You are just way over thinking this.

RB

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Are you committed to the new order?

I'd personally be on the lookout for a 2019 closeout that ( mostly) met my wants and needs list.

That's how I bought our 2008 ram 1500, August, 2008. But, you have to be ready to sign when the right truck comes up at the right price.

But, that's us. We buy for the long run.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We aren't committed to an order, but the problem is no one has a truck built remotely close to the way we want it.  RAM currently has stopped accepting orders on ramboxes due to either supplier constraints or MY changeover.  Closest I can find on a lot is the limited trim which means we lose the bench seat and gain 20" wheels and $10k+ in cost.

The problem is we don't know when the ramboxes will be available or MY 2020 production starts -- so I am not even sure if we need a temp truck or not or for how long.  We get back to the states a few days before delivery.  I found some Enterprise truck locations do 3/4 ton for ~$350 for a weeklong rental and unlimited miles. A week would be enough to drive to the mothership, camp our two nights, and head back to the Northeast.  Two weeks and we get more fun.  We may end up with a last minute "home" on the West Coast - in which case shipping is probably the best answer then - but I'd still want to do a shakedown by the mothership.

Between Olivers…