Temporary front protection on our Oliver

We were not sure what to do to protect the front of our Oliver on the Alaska journey. We looked into large mud flaps, but they would not fit, spray protection that turned out to be discontinued and more lasting but expensive solutions. We settled on yoga mats. Two $12 mats from Walmart and some non-residue duct tape and a little cutting produced a mat that we wondered if it would work and how long it would last. Well, it worked very well, lots of cuts and indentations on the mats. It also lasted - so far - for nearly 4000 miles and it is still intact. We have traveled miles on dirt and gravel roads as well as the Alcan and they still are working. So we are pretty pleased. The mats do not clean very well but we get the surface dirt off ok. An inexpensive solution to the rocks along the Alcan and well beyond. Total investment about $30. Daily posts at www.twolanetouring.com

IMG_5644.thumb.jpg.c29d445c3bc9dd83d56384f75002b761.jpg

DSCF7526.thumb.jpeg.9d313523c3e067a8a25f17e4abb10ac5.jpeg

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

Posting Daily - National Parks, Camping and more.

• Moderators

Great idea. Glad it worked for you!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This is why I will never pull our trailer to Alaska, it not only beats your trailer, it also is equally bad on your tow vehicle, I'm pretty picky with my stuff so no interest in doing this for sure. I also hear the 18-wheeler's are rock throwing machines and you can't avoid them, I had a chance to ride my motorcycle to Alaska and I opted out just for that reason, the guys that went said, it was dangerous to say the least.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Certainly your call on the usage of your trailer. We have had zero issues with big rigs, most of the dirt and grime come from gravel roads or construction areas. We have had a lot of both n the 9000 miles we have traveled to this point. But the rocks are mostly from our own truck as far as I can see. We drive slow when we need to and the Oliver has held up more than well under the trip, as least so far. You do have to exercise caution over the various rough roads and frost heaves but, for us, we simply love the scenery, vistas, mountains and wildlife we are seeing nearly every day. Grizzly bears, caribou, moose (four today near Anchorage), lynx, wolf, a host of birds I have never seen before, sea life everywhere and more. We have met some fascinating people and some of the history here is unique with its Russian heritage. Well worth any aggravation or future repairs in our opinion.

• Thanks 6
  • Like 1

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

Posting Daily - National Parks, Camping and more.

• 8 months later...

The AlCan (& the Cassiar) are not the challenge they used to be.  With minor exceptions, the whole loop is now paved and pretty well maintained.  Frost heaves continue to be tough on suspensions but it is possible to both lessen the wear and tear on your tow vehicle and trail and enjoy your trip more by simply slowing down.  Years back you could not make the trip without losing a windshield - last year we spent six weeks in AK with no road related challenges of consequence.  There are a great many off-pavement adventures to be had up North and they are worth seeking out but you can skirt them if you are concerned.

Nice low cost solution to the problem no over thinking needed. We did the same thing a couple times used closed cell Foam and low residue duck tape and as you said stayed on in the mud and rain of the trip for at least a 6 week period and didn't take off till i was south on the Cassiar Hwy into Washington State and put it on in Dawson as we started the Alcan.  Held up to the big rocks because even mud flaps don't stop them all. Safe travels and enjoy the ride. Thanks Gary

IMG_6285.thumb.jpg.2d97854f33dd8ee87a4d5f0be507d03e.jpgIMG_0423.thumb.JPG.42bc5f1a65e3a7e6b81e11b1f9cc7339.JPG

• Like 2

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

20 hours ago, GaryJona said:

Nice low cost solution to the problem no over thinking needed. We did the same thing a couple times used closed cell Foam and low residue duck tape and as you said stayed on in the mud and rain of the trip for at least a 6 week period and didn't take off till i was south on the Cassiar Hwy into Washington State and put it on in Dawson as we started the Alcan.  Held up to the big rocks because even mud flaps don't stop them all. Safe travels and enjoy the ride. Thanks Gary

IMG_6285.thumb.jpg.2d97854f33dd8ee87a4d5f0be507d03e.jpgIMG_0423.thumb.JPG.42bc5f1a65e3a7e6b81e11b1f9cc7339.JPG

Awesome photo by the water!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks Mattnan that was taken at the city Campground on the water in Seward Alaska had to stay there a couple days and also down on the spit in Homer.  Hello Trainman I have driven it a couple times and flew into Fairbanks in the winter don't drive 70 mph in the rock roads and there are not enough trucks on the Alcan to bother the wildlife licking salt from the roadway.  You bought the camper to see the outdoors and you can't get much more outdoors than a trip to Alaska, Yukon and British Columbia great people, beautiful views and lots of history all to my liking but that's JUST ME. Enjoy the ride and take the trip explore there is a lot to see and such a short time to see it. Thanks Gary

• Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Shackelfords - 

Welcome to the party - Yes, others have thought of and actually used several types of these coatings on the front of the Oliver.  Besides Bugeyedriver with his really expensive stuff there are at least one or two that have tried your recommended method.  I've only used the 3M "rock protection film" and it has done an "OK" job but I don't think it would stand up to a trip to Alaska.  Hopefully those that have used the Linex treatment will speak up.

A few years ago I saw pictures of an Elite II that had used regular black truck bed coating for protection.  I thought that this would look terrible, but, when I actually saw that Ollie at the second annual Owner's Rally, it really didn't look bad - both from wear and tear and cosmetically.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

A few years ago I saw pictures of an Elite II that had used regular black truck bed coating for protection.  I thought that this would look terrible, but, when I actually saw that Ollie at the second annual Owner's Rally, it really didn't look bad - both from wear and tear and cosmetically.

Bill 

I remember seeing that Ollie with the black Linex on the front.  It gave it an “off-road” look and wasn’t too bad.  The Linex in my truck bed seems pretty durable, it might be an option on the front.  When I plan my Alaska trip I may go for it!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS