Anyone Know of RV Instructors In NC or TN (near Hohenwald)

DGLWFun

We may have gotten ourselves in an expensive pickle.  We will be picking up our Elite II in late October, but have problem......we've never towed anything.  I'm nervous about pulling it and can't imagine how we are going to back it into a campsite at DCSP!   We enjoy camping and definitely want the Elite II.  I've watched many videos about backing up a trailer so I have the idea of what to do, and we will be practicing with friends' lawnmower-carrying trailers, but we need hands-on, one-to-one instruction. Does anyone know of a good travel trailer instructor in NC (we live in Greensboro) or TN as close to Hohenwald (we would go there directly upon leaving Holenwald).   Thanks.

L'Ollie-gagging | 2019 LEII #542 | 2019 GMC Canyon Duramax |

Lavon & Diane in North Central NC

spacer.png

• Moderator+

A short lawn mower trailer will be so much harder for a new owner with no experience to back up successfully that you might just give up.

If you go that route, just use the time to understand the basics. Like which way to turn turn the steering wheel to make the trailer go the way you want it to and using your mirrors. Also engage your spotter to help you. During your pickup day ask Phil to acquaint you with the standard hand signals.

Remember, we were all there once and it will come to you. Good luck and congratulations on your new Oliver.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Rent a large U-Haul box tandem axle trailer for a weekend and tow it all over - first on secondary highways and country roads until you get used to it, then on city streets. Find an empty parking lot on a Sunday, set up markers (paper cups filled with water) and practice maneuvers and backing. Buy the full U-Haul towing insurance!

Use cell phones and hand signals to communicate with your helper. Buy a cheap set of walkie talkies for when you are out of coverage.,...

This will be easier than finding somebody to teach you, and if you have issues you can ask here. Did you buy the backup camera for your Ollie? That is a huge help.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

First choice would be to find someone in the campground to help you.  People are generally want to be  helpful.  The problem is finding the person that is actually helpful and know what they are doing.

When I was dragging my race trailer from coast to coast, I brought "disc cones" in different colors with me to mark the spot I want to be in and any obstacles.   so a rock gets a couple disc cones, the edge of the road where it drops into culvert, where I know there are low hanging branches, etc...  Basically throughly survey the site before I even try to pull in.

I plan on using rvschool.com to brush up (it's been six years since I pulled anything) and also get the wife ready to drive and park it.

• Thanks 2

Between Olivers…

• Moderators

Nan,

Driving a pickup is definitely a different experience than driving a car. But, once you get used to it, you'll likely prefer the pickup, as I do.

I see better ahead and to the sides in my truck, because I'm sitting up higher, and it's got a great big windshield and big side windows. And, I have great power. And, when I signal to change lanes, I find people are a bit more likely to fall back a little ( not always,) than when I'm driving a car. You're simply a bigger presence in a truck.

Learning to back the trailer will take some practice, but honestly, that's better learned with your own trailer. You can try John's suggestion, but if you do, put some weight in the uhaul trailer.. an empty or light trailer tends to back really squirrelly.

Most campgrounds have at least some pull through spots. You may have to reserve, or get there early, til you learn how to back.

One skill at a time. If you want to try before you pick up Ken's, go " test drive" a few. Or, drive a truck. Use some air miles and rent a nice truck at Enterprise, and drive it, really drive it, for a weekend. The 2500 you're buying is the same size as a rental 1500, just the 1500 has not as much power, and a smaller fuel tank, and different suspension. The ride will be a little different from brand to brand, but turning radius, etc, isn't that much different.

Today's trucks aren't the trucks of yesteryear. The interior is pretty plush, the ride is fairly carlike. I learned to drive a truck with manual transmission, as a kid. I love driving modern trucks.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

One question please, what if you do not have a back-up partner? I have never even driven a pick up truck, much less towed anything..and I am old. lol

Nan,

Don't stress over it too much.  The absolute worst thing you can do is hook up a little, tiny lawn mower trailer and try to back it up.  The shorter the wheelbase on the trailer, the faster it reacts (or actually overreacts) to that your input.  I have towed trailers all my life and I HATE those tiny trailers.

As suggested, I'd rent something at least middle-weight, maybe a 14-16 foot U-Haul and practice with that.  You'd be surprised how quickly you get the knack.  If you get in trouble backing up, just STOP and pull forward a little and start over.  No big deal.

Feel free to contact me via PM is you want to further discuss.

Hobo (Paul & Donna)

• Thanks 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Nan, I mean no offense, but you have been advised several times in the past to rent (or borrow) a pickup truck and take it for a long weekend drive, and also to take some new ones for test drives to see how the various brands differ. If you won’t act on our well intentioned advice, why keep repeating your concerns?

I thought you had gotten to the point of buying a truck, what has happened?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

You'll get there , Nan.

It just takes a little time, and practice. It's still just driving a vehicle, which we have all done, for many years.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

NAN- I'm in TN, about 2 hrs. from the plant. If your game, I can help you with you concern. You can practice with my 16ft farm trailer, in a big open a field. If your any kind of competent driver, we will have you ready to go in  a jiffy.  Come a day early, practice - go forth in confidence!

RB

• Thanks 4

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Nan

My 2015 Toyota Tundra is easy to drive and quite the pleasure.  My wife Karren uses it frequently to do her Master Gardner projects and has absolutely no problems driving and parking the truck.  Park away from everyone, do not try to get into those crowded parking spots up close to the store.  Walking a bit farther is better than trying to maneuver a truck into a parking space designed for a Prius.  A big advantage of a 1/2 ton pickup like the Tundra over the 3/4 ton like my new GMC 2500HD is the smoother and easier handling of the 1/2 ton Tundra.  The 3/4 trucks do drive a bit stiffer, and, the diesel requires a bit more attention compared to the gasoline Tundra.  I am certain you will be just fine in the Tundra.  As for backing an Oliver, it is really easy, just back slow, check mirrors and camera, and if backing alone, I always get out a few times during the backing process to check behind me for obstructions and to envision my maneuvers.  NEVER get in a rush when backing.  At very slow backing speeds, even if something went wrong, the damage would be minimal compared to those macho backers who want to show off by "speed backing".  I am an old man and I drive like one - no shame in it.  Careful is key.

• Thanks 2

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I'm like John and others have said, if you are not willing to take advice from this forum and list to what others have said, you not only put yourself in danger, but others on the road, or around you. Now this is not "rocket science" but it does require a lot of common sense, much more then just towing a trailer. I would also have the truck that I'm going to tow the trailer several weeks in advance, or even a month before you get your trailer, this way you can become familiar with it and the way it handles and be comfortable with it. I can't even think of showing up with a new tow vehicle, pulling a trailer all on the same day, and never done it before. I would go to and RV dealer in your area and tell them you are thinking about buying an RV trailer and would like to pay someone to give you some lessons on towing a trailer. I wouldn't tell them you have already purchase a trailer if that is the case, but you just want to learn so when the time to decide you will feel somewhat more comfortable about doing it.  Note here, I would have my new truck with me so I would be learning with that vehicle, remember being comfortable with the tow vehicle is just half of it. Many say you will learn in time, true, but it would be best for you to start out on the right foot and hopefully you won't have and problems that can happen for not knowing. I want you to be happy with your investment and enjoy RV camping with the rest of us, it's a wonderful time enjoyed by many.

trainman

• Thanks 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We may have gotten ourselves in an expensive pickle. We will be picking up our Elite II in late October, but have problem……we’ve never towed anything. I’m nervous about pulling it and can’t imagine how we are going to back it into a campsite at DCSP! We enjoy camping and definitely want the Elite II. I’ve watched many videos about backing up a trailer so I have the idea of what to do, and we will be practicing with friends’ lawnmower-carrying trailers, but we need hands-on, one-to-one instruction. Does anyone know of a good travel trailer instructor in NC (we live in Greensboro) or TN as close to Hohenwald (we would go there directly upon leaving Holenwald). Thanks.

If you are a member of AAA they may offer driving classes in your area; I know they do here in Virginia.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! I'm with Trainman 100%. We're getting the truck soon to get comfortable with it, we will definitely be practicing towing well before the pick up date, and we'll take it slow. Safety first!  I like the suggestions  about the Uhaul, seeking instruction at local RV dealers and AAA, and using cones to mark out areas.  We will look into all of these.  Backofbeyond, I'll be sending you a PM about coming out to your farm for practice! Hopefully with all that, well know enough to make it to an RV school on our way home from Hohenwald!  Thanks again!

LWDGFun

L'Ollie-gagging | 2019 LEII #542 | 2019 GMC Canyon Duramax |

Lavon & Diane in North Central NC

spacer.png