Snow in the Mountains

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We thought we were coming up to North Carolina to catch the fall foliage (which was beautiful, by the way!).... but oh, what a bonus. This morning about 1 am the snow started falling, and kept up till mid-morning... a total of around two and a half inches on our side of the mountain. It was Christmas card snow... big, fat, fluffy flakes drifting softly to the ground and blanketing the mountain laurel and the mountainside with pure, clean whiteness. Paul and I took a ride around the property on the ATV in the snow... I felt like a little kid again.

Our high today so far has been 34 degrees, low the last two nights was 31. Supposed to drop into the twenties tonight. We have no electricity available, so we use the furnace, and it has kept us toasty warm on a very low setting.

I'll post photos next trip into town... I forgot the camera back at camp.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The autumn days were glorious.... At 3000 feet, the leaves were changing.... the fall flowers in bloom NCOct2008018.jpgNCOct2008063.jpgNCOct2008022.jpg Then, the temperatures plummetted, and around 1 am we heard a little rain? sleet? hail? then nothing.... we looked outside, and the big flakes had started falling.... By early morning light, the landscape had changed...NCOct2008196.jpgNCOct2008205.jpgNCOct2008159.jpg

So, we took a ride on the ATV.... here's a photo of Paul, from my seat on the back: NCOct2008122.jpg and a few photos from our ride: NCOct2008130.jpgNCOct2008131.jpgNCOct2008147.jpgNCOct2008158.jpg What a wonderful, winter wonderland morning! (In October, no less!) NCOct2008210.jpgNCOct2008227.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Though temps remained below freezing for three nights straight, (and hovered just above for two days), we had no problems with the Oliver. In fact, it was too warm sometimes,with the furnace set on very low, just above off at night... but then, I grew up in rural Minnesota.... We're still on the same LP tank after five days and six nights, no power for heat or refrigerator. Oh, yes, I cooked indoors on the SMEV... but then, it's probably more fuel efficient than our LP grill.

Sherry

PS our snow-covered solar panels only gave us a half amp until the snow melted.... not much help. However, after snow melt, we picked up five to ten amps with the leaves off the trees around us!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4