Real Wheel security

Jitters

Hi all.

Has anyone yet tried the Brahma wheel lock and had success on installing it?  I ordered one and cannot get it on.  Seems the center hub covers on the ollie stick out too much.  With the Brahma cone off I can get it on....though still a bit of a pain due to the limited clearance between the wheel skirting and the tire.

How do the center covers come off?  Do I have to remove the tires?  I want to see if shorter ones are available as replacements.

Thanks

brahma4.thumb.jpg.3bfd6376247bc773719bc5d7c2deb4e9.jpg

brahma5.thumb.jpg.1afd907349455af536e1d0bb50bd0ab2.jpg

brahma2.thumb.jpg.de417071381d4a9d1c2d2ffc04050ed7.jpg

brahma1.thumb.jpg.61c55edce22ee2eabe776b0b1999ea95.jpg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Seems like, by the time you get up to about 60 or so, that thing will really be flailing around back there!   As a theft deterrent, what would prevent someone from just taking that wheel off, with the boot, and driving away with your trailer on three wheels?  I see some of the pictures have a disk over the nuts, but not all of them do and I can't tell if that would prevent taking the nuts off with a box end wrench, or a ratchet and short socket.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Funny I was just posting about theft deterrence in the McHitch thread.

I seem to remember these being discussed before - or maybe it was a different brand but similar idea.  I don’t know how you intend to use them, but personally I think for use while in storage, something like this is great - but it seems like bulky item to carry while traveling.

The the center covers do come off - you have to take the wheel off, but once off, they pop right out. It’s possible that you could find a lower profile cover to use instead, or just go without.

I was referring to the orange disk that is only in some of the pix.  Without it, the wheel nuts can be easily accessed and the wheel removed to steal the trailer.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Jitters,

I've owned and used the Brahma Wheel Lock for about three years now. No real issue with installing it for storage. I'd have to check, but since my trailer came off the line in 2015, maybe the center wheel hub supplied was a bit shallower then.(?)

Without using the center "cone", yes, all you'd do is take the wheel off, similar to many other brands. But, with the center"cone", it'd take some definite "effort" to get the unit off to the point where you'd begin to take the lug nuts off.

"Deterrent" is the name of the game! If you went after it with a battery operated angle grinder for ten to fifteen minutes, you'd make a dent, a lot of sparks and noise, before you got to that point! Go find another unit to steal instead, is the idea.

Keep it very visible, so they can ponder how much effort it would be.

It's the best I could find.

You can, pretty much, get through anything with time and the right tools.

Best, Bob

Seems like, by the time you get up to about 60 or so, that thing will really be flailing around back there! As a theft deterrent, what would prevent someone from just taking that wheel off, with the boot, and driving away with your trailer on three wheels? I see some of the pictures have a disk over the nuts, but not all of them do and I can’t tell if that would prevent taking the nuts off with a box end wrench, or a ratchet and short socket.

Hi Raspy.  I only took the photo with the hub disc off to show how close the center cover is to the lock without it.  Of course it has to be on to be effective.  I just cannot install properly with the standard hub covers on the Ollie.  I have to see if I can swap them  out with something shorter.

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Funny I was just posting about theft deterrence in the McHitch thread.

I seem to remember these being discussed before – or maybe it was a different brand but similar idea. I don’t know how you intend to use them, but personally I think for use while in storage, something like this is great – but it seems like bulky item to carry while traveling.

The the center covers do come off – you have to take the wheel off, but once off, they pop right out. It’s possible that you could find a lower profile cover to use instead, or just go without.

Thanks Overland!  That's what I was wondering...if the wheel needed to come of to swap out the covers.  It's not really very bulky.  The arms fold in so the lock can be stowed away flat.

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

Jitters,

I’ve owned and used the Brahma Wheel Lock for about three years now. No real issue with installing it for storage. I’d have to check, but since my trailer came off the line in 2015, maybe the center wheel hub supplied was a bit shallower then.(?)

Without using the center “cone”, yes, all you’d do is take the wheel off, similar to many other brands. But, with the center”cone”, it’d take some definite “effort” to get the unit off to the point where you’d begin to take the lug nuts off.

“Deterrent” is the name of the game! If you went after it with a battery operated angle grinder for ten to fifteen minutes, you’d make a dent, a lot of sparks and noise, before you got to that point! Go find another unit to steal instead, is the idea.

Keep it very visible, so they can ponder how much effort it would be.

It’s the best I could find.

You can, pretty much, get through anything with time and the right tools.

Best, Bob

Thanks Bob.  I wouldn't think of using it without the orange cone piece.  As you said, tire comes right off.  And anything can be overcome with time and tools...and noise.  I'm just looking for the best deterrent I can find since during camping season this will be parked in my driveway.

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R