Split: Oliver Longevity

Since I still haven’t been able to put all the pieces in place to move forward with purchasing an RV and when I do I plan on it being my LAST major purchase.

As it stands Oliver (seen) is #1, Lance Lance (seen) #2, Outdoors #3 and I’m scheduled to see one Labor Day Week, and Northwoods Arctic Fox #4 or Nash #5 both sight unseen. I realize Northwoods owns Outdoors RV.

Here it comes:  I am curious how well the 2007 or 2008 OLE or OLE II are holding up after 12  / 11 years?

• Thanks 1

Craig

• Moderators

#12 here, picked up in February, 2008.

Resized_20181212_1127292.thumb.jpeg.c263ac2bfb1f38f221f47f31cda0eb1e.jpeg

20190328_151544.jpg.763d8a5dc2361825b703de58e9f87f6c.jpg

First photo is from April of this year.

2nd is at pickup at the factory.

We had the trailer in to a local shop for service in April. There was a line up to see an 11 year old trailer that still looked brand new. We get that comment all the time at gas stops and campgrounds.

Yes, we take care of it, wax it twice a year, and regular maintenance. But we don't "baby" it, and it's stored outside. Thats over 4200 days in the weather.

We've towed our camper less than Pete, but more than many. Over 100,000 miles .

We have in the last few years replaced the water pump, the refrigerator, and removed the microwave. Also replaced the water heater. Added solar in 2008, as 99 per cent if our camping is without electrical hookups. On the third set of tires and batteries. 2nd set of electric brakes.

We're confident the trailer will be enjoyed by the next generation when we're gone, or no longer able to go camping.

Sherry

• Thanks 9
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The hull and frame are SUPER excellent, as is the hardware. Everything else - appliances, suspension, brakes, etc -  is typical off-the-shelf RV quality. Not very well built, but easy to repair or just toss and replace with new when they fail. When the skin and bones are solid, you don't mind replacing a few internal organs occasionally.

Ollie owners tend to be older, their trailers will long outlive them, short of floods or earthquakes wrecking them. (The trailers, not the owners.)

To exceed the quality of an Ollie you need to look at low production high-end truck campers like the XP Camper, or expedition vehicles like Earth Cruiser. But they are more $$$.

Welcome to our forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

This is our 2009 Oliver Legacy Elite, Hull # 39. We purchased it last Oct from the original owners. It is in excellent shape inside and out and people can’t believe it is 10 years old. We absolutely love it. You can see we store it outside when not in use.

4106571E-3082-435A-AAFC-3A0DEEF9E60C.thumb.jpeg.61b3556499dc779ba64ca260f77e0697.jpeg

2CB36DC2-F6D6-458A-9F2B-9A186D94BB47.thumb.jpeg.d8f200d4661392afed9dcb7425f09c04.jpeg

• Thanks 5

Ollie owners tend to be older, their trailers will long outlive them, short of floods or earthquakes wrecking them. (The trailers, not the owners.)

Geesh JD,

Now as an Oliver owner, I'm a geezer?

Older, perhaps, probably more to do with wealth accumulation than anything else.

Out live me, I'm planning on another 25 years, properly taken care of the Ollie will be in better shape than many of us in another two decades. Ya got me there!

The hull and frame are SUPER excellent, as is the hardware

We agree here, wished my own chassis was as durable.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

[

I am curious how well the 2007 or 2008 OLE or OLE II are holding up after 12 / 11 years?

Very well, it appears!

quote quote=184205]As it stands Oliver (seen) is #1, Lance Lance (seen) #2, Outdoors #3 and I’m scheduled to see one Labor Day Week, and Northwoods Arctic Fox #4 or Nash #5 both sight unseen.

An interesting thought- what is the service life of an Oliver. Given the top shelf fiberglass shell, the sturdy and well designed aluminum frame, top shelf axles, and an overall well thought out design, the Oliver will be around  for a long time. Few if any other manufactures produce a RV travel trailer that has the design quality of the Oliver.  I'll go as far as to say -NONE!

The weak links lie in the appliances and other supplier related equipment. All of which can be replaced when failure rears its head - and NO different from any other manufacturer!

The real issue to me, seems to be how much people are willing to spend on a travel trailer - quality designed and built- not withstanding. As is usually the case, education and investigation will lead one to the obvious choice  - given the choices fit with the buyers desires- and then we find the funds!

Wish you well in the journey.

RB

\

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I am trying to get one now as I have been researching for about 7 months. I am not worried about the price if it is worth it so....Cant wait. If you can tell me where to find a used one that is available now, I am interested, but if I need to order and wait I can do that too. Looking for the Oliver Elite Leg II 

• Moderators

Hi, Ralph A, and welcome to the forum.

There's only one Legacy II for sale in classifieds at the moment. Now that you are a member, you can see the ads, so you may want to follow that forum for new ads.

Good luck.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ralph A:

Check out the Oliver Classified section. If you see one you want, move fast as the Ollie's sell in that section fast.

In the Oliver Classified section there is a used 2015 Elite Ii for sale now and someone is selling their 2022 slot for a new unit.

Good Luck

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Just now, Ralph A said:

If you can tell me where to find a used one that is available now,

Watch the classified section on this forum and out in the  Oliver Travel Trailer for Sale | Facebook group like a hawk and be ready to pounce (sorry, mixing my metaphors). They usually seem to be sold quite quickly. While I impatiently waited for my trailer to go into production I watched the classifieds here and saw one listed a few towns away from me. I replied within an hour of posting and set up a time to view it early the next morning. But within a few hours someone who lives six hours or so away had already put their cash down sight unseen and so scooped it out from under me. I am fine with that as I like my new trailer and I wouldn't have been willing to commit without an in person walkthrough, but this may give you some sense of the current market. There just aren't a ton of these trailers out there for sale or otherwise.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

On 7/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, BackofBeyond said:

wished my own chassis was as durable

I hope all my parts will wear out at the same time, though it seems increasingly likely that this won't be the case...

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709