Adding LED light to the awing

Trainman

As you can see I'm going from one mode to another on our new Elite II, today I'm thinking about adding a LED light strip to the awing. I observed the awing and see the only place to put the strip lighting is either on the inside and it would have to be in two sections as the center swing bar hinge would be in the way for continuous running of the strip, or put it on the awing cover on the bottom side and the lights could be used with either the awning in or out. I'm thinking on the bottom of the awing cover makes more sense them inside the cover, but now I would have to have a power cord showing to run the LED's. Any thoughts on what you did if you installed LED awing lights.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

I got a cheap string of Solar powered LED lights from Amazon, about 1” balls that we sometimes hang from the awning with Camco hooks that slide into the awning slot. They are not bright, just provide a mild ambience.  We use them depending on the Campground. Sometimes dark is better. What’s really annoying is campers the have strings of bright LEDs everywhere ruining the night sky.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We use a Luminoodle Basecamp string light. I taped the connectors to the bottom of the awning with VHB tape.  Takes about a minute to set it up. It lights up the awning area well and attracts the bugs away from the door. Very groovy in disco mode.

I've been giving these awing LED a lot of thought, I decided to go this way and put the LED strip lights in the aluminum holders made for them. https://www.amazon.com/Starlandled-Aluminum-Installation-Professional-Accessories/dp/B01LL2SLME/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=IMEPCSPSMVFG&keywords=led+strip+lights+plastic+cover&qid=1565034448&s=gateway&sprefix=led+strip+lights+plastic%2Caps%2C154

I'm going to use double sticky tape to hold them in place and run them on the bottom edge of the Dometic awing frame, this way the lights will come out when the awing is rolled out, but will also work when the awing is in its rolled up position. I don't like seeing any wires so they will probably be mounted on the awing arms that go in and out on the top side and then into the trailer for power. I may even consider a 12v power source (battery) and recharge when needed as these lights are for accent lighting and only used when the occasion calls for it. I will post pics when completed, it was 101 in Ft. Worth yesterday, so working outside when it's a little cooler would sure be more to my liking for projects like this.

trainman

• Thanks 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 11 months later...

Something a little different for the eschewers of LED light strip garishness, the greatest eschewer being my spouse.  I've added a USB (5V) powered LED string light. String is about 24' long with 12 LEDs that mimic the vintage bulb look. The string plugs into an exterior USB port installed at the roof line above the porch light. Since the string must be portable (set-up, take-down each move), the bulb covers are shatterproof acrylic. GK

https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-Ambience-Pro-Camping-Lights/dp/B07SW6Y6D3/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+string+lights+brightech+USB&qid=1594920761&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGeek-Adapter-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B07F73MGX8/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=usb+exterior+12v+on%2Foff+switch&qid=1594920907&sr=8-16

• Like 1

That's a nice looking string of lights.  

We also have an exterior 12v socket and it's been super handy.  I'm surprised that Oliver doesn't add one as a default, or at least as an option.  Ours is located just above the 120v outlet.  It's not as nice for lighting, since the cord hangs down, but it's very handy for other things like charging phones.  

Please tell your wife that my disco lights are very tasteful.

• Moderators

Those are cute. My daughter has a similar set, 110, on her patio. 

I'm surprised the newer trailers don't have an exterior 12v socket, considering all the standard features you have that were options when ours were made back in 2008. We have one in the eyebrow over the lower fridge vent. It's really handy for charging phones and tablets.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.