Which Ladder, lighter weight, do you bring with you on the road?

Muppy

Hi,

We need to buy a ladder to bring with us on the road to be able to reach the entire roof area, and clean and tighten the solar panels. I thought I read somewhere on here, people were using a certain brand and height and weight ladder that you can reach all areas on the roof without climbing on it. I also seem to recall it had a carry bag? We do have a truck and would not need to store it in the Oliver while traveling. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Muppy (Cheryl)

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

• Moderators

I use this on the road and while at home to do stuff up top. We carry it in the bed of the truck. I cut a pool noodle to fit the top couple of feet of the ladder where it rests against the trailer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTBXTXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

There are a number of past threads. Put “ladder” in the search window. I don't recall anyone discussing a ladder that includes a cover. I suggest one of the wonderful Werner articulated ladders if you don’t need to put it in the closet. The MT-13 is fine for an Ollie but too short for all around home use. Look for sales at the box stores.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Probably not everywhere, but my local Lowe's carries several models of the Little Giant in stock, including the newer, lighter, but not quite as adjustable fiberglass King Kombo. Not as easy to carry in the truck bed. More available online, ship free to store.

Costco has only one, aluminim, 1a rated, online right now. I think its a model made for them, but a really nice size.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The telescoping ladders are more stable when the skinny parts are not all extended. Unless you simply don’t have the storage space, a taller one will be better for actually using, since you can leave more of the small top parts collapsed. For an older person I strongly suggest a taller ladder of this type. The Werner articulating type will be way, WAY more stable to use than any telescoping one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, 12 or 15 foot model?? Thanks.

Mine is the 12.5' one as shown in the description.  It is the only one I found rated for 330 lbs, so it will be less flexible.  And it's long enough that it doesn't have to be extended all the way to easily reach the roof of the trailer.  I have one of the folding type ladders too, but it is much more bulky and heavier.  I wouldn't bring a ladder at all if it wasn't for the solar.

• Like 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

There are a number of these "telescoping" ladders on the market and a number of them appear to be similar - read the specs carefully!  I found a couple of them on Amazon and then used Camel, Camel, Camel to watch prices over last winter.  The 12 foot one that I finally bought came with a "storage bag" and it fits nicely in the closet secured to the vent pipe with a bungee cord.  I paid $80, shipping included.

Bill

P.s.  Speaking of "specs" - remember that if you purchase a "light weight" ladder - it is light weight!  Re-read the warnings above and try to remember them.  These telescoping ladders certainly do not seem to be made for heavy duty use BUT are more than acceptable for the purposes I have in mind.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I was in Costco today, and saw the Little Giant Megalite is on sale, for $119. That's a really nice ladder for the price, though kind of big to carry around in the pickup bed, I  think.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

At some point I'll need another vehicle to carry all the stuff I think I need. I have not carried a ladder - yet, although I needed one on my last trip - just borrowed one the host had stored in the bushes... 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 1 year later...

A friend of ours quit RVing for health reasons and gave us a  ohuhu telescoping ladder that looked brand new and had hardly ever been used. I loved it because it fit in the closet nicely . I haven't used it but three or four times [I have other sturdier ladders available for use when not on the road] but then needed it a few day ago and the top couple of rungs would not "lock"  and my son came close to a disaster but we caught it in time. Now the thing will neither close all the way nor open all the way. I have gone about blind searching the internet for an explanation or a fix or or somewhere to complain or send it for repair. No luck 

Ohuhu has a web site. They make a lot of products but if you click on this ladder it refers you to amazon that does not have a place to call to complain or get advice or repair. 

I think that when we went to open the ladder after long disuse we did not open it lifting the very top section first and then the next and the next as the directions require. We were in a bit of a hurry for reasons that are irrelevant here. But then the instructions do not tell you that if you don't "open" it exactly as directed it will be ruined and never work again. 

I note that if you go in amazon and look at all these telescoping ladders and read the comments [even on the most expensive ones] you will find comments that says that they collapse and cause injuries and are not safe. 

Does anyone have a thought about these things? Any idea about what might be wrong or how to get it working again? Any place likely to be capable of repairing it? 

IMG_3809.JPEG

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II hull # 151 

• Moderators

I also have an extendable ladder but it is a different brand.  I looked at yours on Amazon and noticed that it features a 1 touch retraction button that is black and is used when it fully extended.  I also noticed a red button that appears to be under the steps and it may operate the plunger or self-locking mechanism that extends into the upright supports.  Have you tried the red buttons?  There are numerous complaints about pinched fingers so be careful anytime you are extending and retracting.  You might try operating the red buttons while it is laying flat instead of upright.  
It could be dirt or corrosion that is causing a binding condition.  I don’t think I would use oil as a lubricant, but dish soap might be worth a try.

Mossey

748EFC7C-C5A1-48F5-8FCB-D14DE237BB67.thumb.jpeg.25959d55dfd8618b2de79b5070ab36d5.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 1 year later...

I had one of these telescoping ladders I bought years ago for my jayco. It was one of the original brands it gave me great service. BUT I would not use it without my ground crew for safety reasons someone had to hold it. The reason they stop working is dirt build up inside. Mine was ruined by the masons that worked on my chimney the mortar dust from tuck pointing got in it and it never worked safely after that

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite ll  Hull 1267   10/6/22      Solar with AGMs   
 2015 Ram 2500 HD Cummins   B&H Hitch 

We have a heavy 12'5" telescoping ladder which lives happily in the closet of our Legacy II.  It is one of the heaviest versions I have seen at around 34# but is rock solid.  Can't recall the brand.  All telescoping ladders are not created equal and I would avoid the light / cheap ones.  I do make a habit of tying a 25' length of 3/8" nylon rope at about awning level on the ladder and running the lines fore and aft to front and rear tralier frames.  This will keep it from sliding over sideways.  I have done this faithfully on ladders for many years after learning painfully that it was a good idea.  Pad the ladder where it contacts the awning or side of the trailer to avoid scoring your Oliver.

• Like 1

I purchased a 300 pound rated TeleSteps Climbing Ladder, Type 1, Model 1600 E.  

It also stores nicely in the closet. 

Having the OSHA certification is comforting. 

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We have this Xtend & Climb 770P telescoping-ladder,12.5 ft, Yellow/Gray https://a.co/d/gWOv7kr Seems very sturdy and stores in our closet. Not cheap, but I try not to skimp on safety items.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+

I don’t use a ladder anymore. After being bitten by some weird looking spider in the Amazonian jungle several years ago, I found that I could just crawl up the side of the trailer. 

• Haha 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Old thread, but.........might help someone.  We have 2.  The light weight 5 step will reach most of the fiberglass top but not all of the solar panels. I use a telescoping mop to reach.  You cannot use this one to get onto the roof.  We use it most of the time as it's pretty light.  The telescoping aluminum one comes in a bag but weighs 31 lbs.  Not easy to get out but is very heavy duty and easily allows you to get up on the roof...use on the awning side as you have something to hold on to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PH8ZPW1/ref=emc_b_5_t

https://www.homedepot.com/p/XTEND-CLIMB-12-5-ft-Aluminum-Telescoping-Extension-Ladder-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-Type-1A-Duty-Rating-780P/309897047

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

We used to carry a telescoping !adder. Found we never really had a need for it. Don't even use it at home very often. It no longer travels with us. If we really needed to get up there I guess we could back the TV up near and stand on the tailgate? Probably if you check those solar wing nuts before leaving they should be alright for the trip. If it is a real concern you could put some LocTite on the threads before leaving?

Looks like there are at last 4 Olivers based in NH now, and at least 22 in Maine. Seems there are over 1200 Olivers scattered around the country. So my guess is if you are in an area and really need a ladder put the word out, someone will bring you one. Oliver folks are like that...

Maineiac

• Moderator+
12 hours ago, Mainiac said:

So my guess is if you are in an area and really need a ladder put the word out, someone will bring you one. Oliver folks are like that...

Maineiac

Well, I need someone to come to Tupelo with their ladder and help me wash The Outlaw Oliver. We’ve got water, electricity and a dump station. 

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg