Outdoor lights “panic switch”? Security system?

John E Davies

I just watched this video and it got me thinking harder about deterrents....

They mention using your truck remote to start your engine, if it has that feature. If you leave your headlights in Auto the lights will come on also. Brilliant..... unless it tempts the bad guy to bust into the truck and drive away.

Or you can use the panic button to engage the truck security alarm. That sounds good, if the remote range is adequate.

Any ideas on how to easily wire ALL the exterior lights in your Ollie to a single prominent switch near the beds? I don’t want to wake up all confused and muzzy at 200 AM and have to walk to the entrance and figure out which switches to flip. I guess it could include a loud alarm.

Has anyone installed a security system in their trailer? How about a peep hole in the door? I am concerned about large bears as much as about human predators. Please advise.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yes, we did a panic switch for the port and starboard lights.  You'll just have to replace both switches by the door with 3-ways, then run the wires down the gutter in the back of the overheads to wherever you want the panic switch to be.  Ours is on the underside of the curbside uppers so that it's easily reached by whomever is lying in bed.

• Thanks 2

I've been looking at replacing all the switches with relays on a 16 channel board with a raspberry pi.  That'd make easy app control, or with the an IO board, easy control with physical switches to include a big red button.  Bonus in that you can now automate it all as well so you get "welcome home" lighting as desired.

As for loud noises, we have a dog that will take care of that in abundance.  Animals seem to similarly shy away when the dog goes ballistic.  If someone wants to open the door when they hear the dog, then not much in blinking lights and sirens will work and they are probably high and it's best to turn to plan C.

Front cameras don't look like they are offered anymore, but the wiring diagram says there is still power run for it.  Front camera would cover the biggest blindspot.  I'd like to get 360 coverage for parking as well as keeping tabs on what's going on outside without having to peek through the blinds - with recording.  At a minimum, I want to be able to see who's at the door without having to peak out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Between Olivers…

Actually, now that I think about it, I don’t think that mine are on three-ways. I think it’s just a separate switch and power. I’ll have to go verify but I seem to remember on one of our trips noticing that the lights were on and not being able to get them to go off - then remembering the panic switch, which had gotten inadvertently flipped.

• Wow 1

I’ve been looking at replacing all the switches with relays on a 16 channel board with a raspberry pi. That’d make easy app control, or with the an IO board, easy control with physical switches to include a big red button. Bonus in that you can now automate it all as well so you get “welcome home” lighting as desired.

I’d be interested if you could work something out like that. I’ve sat on the sidelines with the raspberry pi stuff but it seems like something I’d enjoy learning.

Just be careful with dogs in wolf country, as they’ll have the opposite effect if you happen to camp in a pack’s territory.

Controlling the lights seems pretty straightforward as the 16 channel relay boards are available and plugins for homebridge and other packages already exist.

The places that are the bigger question marks are getting the Dometic thermostat (there is a Bluetooth version), shower drain shutoff, fans, fridge, door keypad, tank monitors (some connected version is coming), mopeka sensors and victron to all pull in as well.  While some of these have their own apps, having it all reported, monitored, and controlled in one place allows some of the more elaborate features.  Some would be outside the scope of security.

It’s looking more and more like I am going to have very little free time once we pickup the Ollie to try all of this.  My interim solution for the security part is probably going to be Ring brand cameras VHB taped to the exterior or screwed into nonhull parts like the awnings.

Between Olivers…

• 1 year later...

https://shopusa.shelly.cloud/shelly-rgbw2-wifi-smart-home-automation-1#220

These look like a great way to automate interior/exterior lights, complete with PWM capabilities for brightness.  Though sold as an RGBW controller, it is essentially a 4 channel, 45W/channel controller with support for REST APIs/MQTT.  I am going to play with one for control of the bathroom fan speed and light - then maybe try one for some of the exterior/interior lights.

• Like 1

Between Olivers…

On 8/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, John E Davies said:

I just watched this video and it got me thinking harder about deterrents....

They mention using your truck remote to start your engine, if it has that feature. If you leave your headlights in Auto the lights will come on also. Brilliant..... unless it tempts the bad guy to bust into the truck and drive away.

Or you can use the panic button to engage the truck security alarm. That sounds good, if the remote range is adequate.

Any ideas on how to easily wire ALL the exterior lights in your Ollie to a single prominent switch near the beds? I don’t want to wake up all confused and muzzy at 200 AM and have to walk to the entrance and figure out which switches to flip. I guess it could include a loud alarm.

Has anyone installed a security system in their trailer? How about a peep hole in the door? I am concerned about large bears as much as about human predators. Please advise.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John

You should repost your  shotgun mount  mod. I always thought that was a great security feature 😳

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Hmm. An interesting set of reply's to a concern some RVer's seem to rate as a higher issue.  I have thought about the remote start, the fact the lights are activated on our truck  with the remote, and simply turning on an interior light. One deterrent we have is our canine - not much gets within earshot of our RV that he is not in tune with.  He is big enough to get peoples attention. If I make it clear to him - to raise attention - and open the door - most will vacate the area. However- he is not really after much more than a treat..... But - the wolf thing - yeah - would half to keep him on a tight "leash".

The comments on firearms - well - lets just say - we're covered there. I have never considered 911 as my first response to a threat, or second, for that matter. 

I am continually amazed at the mod's Oliver owners contemplate and actually complete.  Just great minds it seems. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

In Canada, we carry wasp spray. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

You can bring the back up camera monitor into the Oliver. Plug it into the 12 volt receptacle and you have an idea what might be going on out there. Maybe want to add a cam to the front? The new game cams will send a text to your phone when they detect motion. Just don't let the deer and critters keep you awake all night...

I'm still looking into security options for our RV including cameras and tracking devices.

Weighing all of the variables like monthly fees, being somewhere with no cell coverage and ease of installation.

What happened in the video that John posted was pretty disturbing and could ruin a trip.  

This link has a few security camera options.  I'm still looking and will post anything that looks like it has merit.

https://nerdtechy.com/best-rv-security-camera

• Like 1

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• 5 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, jordanv said:

Has anyone here had any encounter with criminals while camping or boondocking?

Never . . . . worrying about security takes the joy out of camping.  Everything we take along can be replaced, though it would be an inconvenience.

As far as personal security, I feel safer boondocking than I do in some improved camping facilities; we try to steer clear of high crime areas and I do not camp without my "body guard" of 40-something years 😉

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, jordanv said:

Has anyone here had any encounter with criminals while camping or boondocking?

No, we never have.  It’s a pretty safe thing to do - camping.  Reports of crime are rare.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

It’s a pretty safe thing to do

Ok thanks!

Just wondering as this discussion seems to be about panic systems and alarms. 

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jordanv said:

Just wondering as this discussion seems to be about panic systems and alarms. 

It seems that folks new to camping are more worried about safety and security than those who camp a lot.  We were in that category 6 years ago - I was concerned that my trailer might be stolen and my camp chairs and grill might disappear some day while we were out hiking.  Today, with a few days on the road and a few nights camping in various places I believe the safety risk is low.  Most places I’m more worried about animals than people.  We routinely leave our camp chairs, table, Weber grill, Clam etc unsecured at our trailer while we’re out for the day.  Never any problems.  I do have the common bulldog hitch lock and a good pad lock just to discourage anyone who might be interested.  My panic system would be to turn on the porch lights and hit the alarm on my truck while getting the bear spray ready.  Mike

ECFF6042-052F-48AD-B60B-6C740B98A150.jpeg

9042981D-A95E-4617-88A4-CA9AA1A6A48E.jpeg

I won this red lock as a door prize at one of the Oliver rally’s and use it with the pieces pictured above.

513BBFC0-1474-49D7-AB44-0B9457163682.jpeg

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I agree with Mike.  The only place we've ever stopped that I felt uncomfortable was a walmart parking lot in what I felt to be a sketchy location. We both agreed, and moved on to a Cracker Barrel a bit further down the road.

The only thing I've ever had "stolen" was actually a newbie mistake. We stopped at a campground on the Blue Ridge, and left a table at the spot we selected to mark it as occupied, and went back to the Dropbox to register. 

We got back to our campsite, and the table was missing. Then I  saw a van camper drive up, with my table in the back. She stopped and dropped it off, with sincere and profuse apologies. She thought the table was "left behind." It was one of her first times in a campground. After reading the registration policy, she realized what she'd done.

By and large, most campers are honest, regular folks. And fun, and helpful. 

That said, there are a lot of "new" campers out there. Just put what you care about out of sight if you're gone for the day.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 months later...