Locking pins for Bulldog hitch

I don't  know why I'm having so much trouble with locking pins for my hitch, but I am.  When I picked up my trailer, the hitch release lever was secured with a cotter pin and ring.  I've been looking for a locking pin, but everyone I've tried is too large to fit through the hole.  Additionally, I'm having issues finding a hitch receiver that will lock the hitch to the TV.  I've tried several, but they all seem to be about 1/8 inch too short.  This is probably a problem with my TV receiver.  So what I'm looking for are links to products that have worked for others.

The Wanderer setup

TV: 2018 Toyota Sequoia

Trailer Options: Trojan AGM Batteries, 320w Solar package, 30 Amp Convenience pkg, 2000w Inverter, Omni-directional Antenna, Dakota Fiber-Granite, Opaque cabinet doors, Flagstone flooring, KTT mattresses, Inside Basement Access, Black Marble cushions, Anderson hitch, 30# propane tanks, Front and Rear Propane Quick Connects, Truma  Tankless Water Heater, Micro Air, Storage Basket, Bike Rack, Additional Awning, Custom Graphics for the trailer name

Don’t waste time worrying about the locking lever, just put a good lock on the coupler. I use The Collar and it works great. ... if you must have a lock through the latch, simply drill the holes to a larger diameter, say 9/32” for a 1/4” pin-style lock or padlock.

https://smile.amazon.com/Collar-Trailer-Bulldog-style-Couplers-Including/dp/B00HL2NM0K/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Collar+bulldog+lock&qid=1566072596&s=automotive&sr=1-1

If you want to up the ante and make sure some jerk cannot possibly drop the locked coupler over a smaller ball and drag it away, buy a 2” hardened ball bearing and lock it inside your coupler.

Can you post a closeup picture of your receiver? If it is like the Land Cruiser, it is a little odd. I removed the plastic trim surround piece, cut it out to provide more room for the pin, and reinstalled it. I can post a picture of mine if you think that might be your issue. I have been using this lock with no issues. It fits fine (after trimming). It’s a very low quality lock but way better than a bare pin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULTON-1-2-Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount-Lock-RL50-/252126480133?hash=item3ab3e8c705

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’ve been looking for a locking pin, but everyone I’ve tried is too large to fit through the hole.

In order to use the coupler lock I purchased, I needed to use a drill to enlarge the hole that originally held the coupler pin. I purchased the Trimax TCP100 Combo Pack, which includes three locks: a hitch lock, a coupler lock, and a receiver lock. I liked this kit because all three locks are "keyed alike," meaning they use the same key. The kit also included a rugged canvas carrying case. I put the hitch lock in the carry case when towing. When the trailer is in storage I remove the ball and ball mount from the tow vehicle, and I can fit them into the carry case.

If you read through the forum you will find hitch locks that are more robust and more expensive than this one. I think any hitch lock is a useful deterrent, and I liked the keyed alike feature.

Additionally, I’m having issues finding a hitch receiver that will lock the hitch to the TV. I’ve tried several, but they all seem to be about 1/8 inch too short.

Note that there are several complaints on the recent reviews for this product that complain that the Receiver Lock is too short for a Tacoma. The Receiver Lock included with the Trimax TCP100 Combo Pack is the Trimax TS32 Universal Receiver Lock, which has a length of 2 5/8 inches. One of the reviewers with the Tacoma solved his problem by purchasing the Trimax T5 Extended Receiver Lock, which has a length of 3 1/2 inches. The locking part of the two Receiver Locks appears identical, so you should be able to swap them to keep the keyed alike feature.

81a-g8utWnL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d7eabd9f8fd7f5eb109e1eee0a13e474.jpg

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I use these two locks for the hitch (lever) and the receiver:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Pins-and-Clips/DeadBolt/40107.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler-Locks/DeadBolt/RC2SS.html

You can get them keyed alike which is very convenient.

The receiver lock is available in a longer length but it's not stainless steel.

The coupler lock in the 1/2" length works great on the Bulldog lever. The fit is snug so there is no exposed lock pin that someone might be able to get a bolt cutter around. I like using the coupler lock when traveling so no one can mess with the coupler if I'm parked to shop or whatever. They both have worked very well with no sign of wear or corrosion. Good luck!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

A lock in the coupler lever is not needed. The wire bail is easily sprung out of the holes.

This is very true indeed. I do feel though that perception is a key element to deterrence.

One can take it as far as they are comfortable doing so.

Dave

Dave why not just use a long necked brass Master lock rather than the pin. When we picked up our Oliver it did not come with a locking cotter pin, probably someone forgot to install. So I just bought a lock instead, key stays on my tow vehicle key chain. Works great.

Legacy Elite II #70

Dave why not just use a long necked brass Master lock rather than the pin. When we picked up our Oliver it did not come with a locking cotter pin, probably someone forgot to install. So I just bought a lock instead, key stays on my tow vehicle key chain. Works great.

That works! As Townesw posted above, however, the coupler lock is pretty easy to defeat if one has a mind to do so. What is important is that it is securely locked down when under way, any way you choose to do it.

Dave

• Moderators

We use a bulldog collar lock.

Traveling, or at camp.

Screenshot_20190818-231431_Google.thumb.jpg.0623f545514f39ff31383c5eb0f682ed.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I went ahead and ordered a longer lock online.  I've been using a bolt with two nuts on it to secure the coupler.  I'll probably look for a pin like Townsw showed.

The Wanderer setup

TV: 2018 Toyota Sequoia

Trailer Options: Trojan AGM Batteries, 320w Solar package, 30 Amp Convenience pkg, 2000w Inverter, Omni-directional Antenna, Dakota Fiber-Granite, Opaque cabinet doors, Flagstone flooring, KTT mattresses, Inside Basement Access, Black Marble cushions, Anderson hitch, 30# propane tanks, Front and Rear Propane Quick Connects, Truma  Tankless Water Heater, Micro Air, Storage Basket, Bike Rack, Additional Awning, Custom Graphics for the trailer name

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:46 AM, routlaw said:

Are you saying the Oliver comes with a locking cotter pin on the hitch coupler?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Susan - 

Olivers (or any RV that I'm aware of) do not come with locking hitch pins of any sort.  Usually the hitch ball locking lever like Townesw (Bill) shows above either has no pin or has a simple cotter pin affair.  The locks for the hitch ball lever simply prevent the casual "bad guy" from springing that lever while you are eating, shopping, sight seeing, etc.  These can be purchased at WalMart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-5-8-in-Rotating-Locking-Coupler-Pin-with-2-Keys-Trailer-Hitch-Truck-Pick-Up-360-Rotating-Head-Position-Lock-Easy-Access-to-Tumbler/291160794

Note that this one was the first one I came across but one sold by Master Lock is probably more widely used and is what I have.

I also use a receiver lock pin to make sure that the entire hitch stays in the truck's receiver:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fastway-Trailer-Products-Maximum-Security-Hitch-Pin-Lock-DT-30005/55385513

Again, there are multiple designs and suppliers of these types of pins.

Finally, if you are going to be using the Andersen WDH then I'd strongly suggest that you purchase a replacement pin for holding the "whale tail" to the bottom of the Andersen hitch ball.  These replacement pins made both removal and insertion of this pin much easier because they have a handle whereas the one supplied with the Andersen does not have a handle.  As far as I know, Tractor Supply has the cheapest price on these pins:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-red-head-hitch-pin-grade-5-4-in-usable-pin-length

If you don't have a Tractor Supply near you or would prefer to wait until you have your Oliver, then there is a Tractor supply literally at the end to the street from where you will take delivery in Hohenwald.

Bill 

p.s. (edit)  OOPS!  just noticed that you will be towing with a TV somewhat bigger than a half-to..  So, my comments about the Andersen probably don't apply to you.

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

Olivers (or any RV that I'm aware of) do not come with locking hitch pins of any sort.  Usually the hitch ball locking lever like Townesw (Bill) shows above either has no pin or has a simple cotter pin affair.  The locks for the hitch ball lever simply prevent the casual "bad guy" from springing that lever while you are eating, shopping, sight seeing, etc.  These can be purchased at WalMart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-5-8-in-Rotating-Locking-Coupler-Pin-with-2-Keys-Trailer-Hitch-Truck-Pick-Up-360-Rotating-Head-Position-Lock-Easy-Access-to-Tumbler/291160794

Note that this one was the first one I came across but one sold by Master Lock is probably more widely used and is what I have.

I also use a receiver lock pin to make sure that the entire hitch stays in the truck's receiver:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fastway-Trailer-Products-Maximum-Security-Hitch-Pin-Lock-DT-30005/55385513

Again, there are multiple designs and suppliers of these types of pins.

Finally, if you are going to be using the Andersen WDH then I'd strongly suggest that you purchase a replacement pin for holding the "whale tail" to the bottom of the Andersen hitch ball.  These replacement pins made both removal and insertion of this pin much easier because they have a handle whereas the one supplied with the Andersen does not have a handle.  As far as I know, Tractor Supply has the cheapest price on these pins:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-red-head-hitch-pin-grade-5-4-in-usable-pin-length

If you don't have a Tractor Supply near you or would prefer to wait until you have your Oliver, then there is a Tractor supply literally at the end to the street from where you will take delivery in Hohenwald.

Bill 

p.s. (edit)  OOPS!  just noticed that you will be towing with a TV somewhat bigger than a half-to..  So, my comments about the Andersen probably don't apply to you.

Correct - no WD needed.  We already have a receiver lock pin used for our bike rack.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 9/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, Susan Huff said:

Are you saying the Oliver comes with a locking cotter pin on the hitch coupler?

Nope, sorry for the misunderstanding. Our Oliver did not come with any pin at all, probably got left out by mistake, but we have been using a long neck master lock similar to what you would use for a Yeti Cooler which works great plus its an additional security lock also.

• Thanks 1

Legacy Elite II #70

Unless they stopped giving them out Oliver gave  you a emergency pin for the coupler. It was a bent cotter pin on a key ring. In case you lost your pin. I have mine somewhere placed where I’ll remember where it is. I forgot where.

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Nope once again, never saw a pin, nor was it on my key ring. It just wasn't there. No big deal I have a much better far more secure way of latching the bull dog coupler and would encourage all others to do the same. FWIW my hull # is 70, March 2015.

Legacy Elite II #70