RV Campgrounds near Lake Wales, FL west to Tampa area (in NOV) Need Help finding

hobo

We're making a trip south from VA in Nov with stops in Charlotte, NC, Hunting Island State Park (near Beaufort, SC) and then proceeding to the St. Augustine, FL area and then west toward Tampa, FL for a few days before heading back north again.

We have reservations in NC and SC but can't seem to find a nice place near St. Augustine (state parks already full of Snowbirds).  To that end, we're looking for suggestions for some hidden jewels in that area and then again further west (even to the Gulf coast).  This is our first extended trip and we're discovering planning to be in the  south in fall and winter takes some pre-planning.  Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I am from Chattahoochee, FL, and very familiar with Lake Seminole, about 45 minutes west of Tallahassee.  The COE have a couple of really nice campgrounds near Jim Woodruff Dam that the snowbirds have not taken over completely (yet).  Not much to do in the area except appreciate life.  My favorite is River Junction COE campground, actually in GA (Chattahoochee is on the FL/GA border, and AL is nearby). I am actually camping at River Junction COE campground next week for my Chattahoochee high school reunion (many,many, many years ago; only 60 in my graduating class).  No reservations required, usually only 2 or 3 campers there.  A really best kept secret and only $10 per night with Senior Pass. Another more known COE campground is East Bank (also in GA near Chattahoochee).  Beautiful view of Lake Seminole and Jim Woodruff Dam.  The snowbirds have found that one, so advance reservations are recommended.  My third secret place is Three Rivers State Park (local secret spot, in FL) on Lake Seminole.  Unfortunately, Hurricane Michael did a number on that park, most trees are gone, but recovering.  A very nice FL State park located on Lake Seminole.  And the Apalachicola River actually starts in Chattahoochee, south of Jim Woodruff Dam, which backs up the Chattahoochee and Flint Rivers to form Lake Seminole.  Great fishing, lots of alligators, this time of year lots of bugs that bite or irritate.  AC is required until late fall.  Near Panama City, FL, is St Andrews State Park.  Very popular campground - not sure if crowded.  Some damage from Hurricane Michael - have not stayed there in a while, very good fishing (on the Gulf)

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

Check out Wekiva Springs state park, on your way across. Beautiful.

Near Orlando.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Still researching and have decided I am going to try to get into McDill AFB campground. I looks to be very nice and retired DoD with appropriate ID are eligible to use the facilities as space permits. They are booked but have 54 sites always held in reserve daily on a "first come - first served" basis.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Bugeyedriver has camped there. He said it was nice, as I recall. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Actually secured a spot at Colt Creek State Park just north of Tampa/south of Orlando. Looks to be very nice and pretty much centrally located to all the things we want to see once we leave St. Augustine. Now let's just hope that Dorian doesn't destroy it.

• Moderators

That park is fairly close to Blue Springs State Park which is very nice and a good place to really see some sea cows and a bunch of different type of fish in the wild. Hopefully you are right about the coming storm.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Blue Springs is another of our beautiful parks. If you get the chance, read Bill Belleville's essay, "Diving into the Heart of a Poem," before you visit. Belleville is a Florida environmental nonfiction writer (and a lover of woods and water, like most of us.). You should be able to find it in a few books at the library. I used to have an online copy. Not anymore.

I've never been to Colt Creek, but you're close to a lot of cool things in Florida-- Zhills skydiving, Bok Tower Gardens in pretty Lake Wales (fabulous quiet day), Frank Lloyd Wright architecture at Florida Southern college. Lakeland has a really nice downtown with some great local restaurants, and the Johnson family restaurants in Plant City are real Southern cooking. Johnson BBQ is quite good, but I'm partial to lunch at Fred's Market. Especially if you like southern vegetables... collard greens, summer squash, excellent beans, and the trout on the buffet is surprisingly good. I'm not totally a chicken or catfish fan, but those are good too. It's always packed with locals, dirt parking lot, for the most part. Go in the truck. No place for the trailer, really. Edited ... exit 21, for 39

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, there's another spring park I haven't seen yet. Gilchrist blue springs, not far from Gainesville, our newest state park. If you do check it out, let us know.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/new-state-park-fl/

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4