WHAT'S YER' HULL NUMBER

mountainborn

• Moderators

The topic seems to come up often. I began to notice it at the River Valley Egg Rally II. It came up as Oliverans, Casitans and others, discussed their favorite topic, fiberglass travel trailers. Almost every day I would hear some refrence to someone's HULL NUMBER.

I didn't know what our hull number was until some one showed me it was a sequence in the VIN. That's the Vehicle Identification Number.

I think it was Chuck, TUMBLEWEED, that showed me that our hull number was three. After that, I found myself looking at VIN stickers to see how much newer than our's, was their Oliver.

He, He, nearly every one's is ! For example, at the RVER II, the newest Oliver there was Steve and Tali's hull number 26.

I guess that there is something about those sequential numbers that places travel trailers in their own special slot in the history of the manufacturer. Lots of brand names of travel trailers seem to list those numbers prominently, and their parts department often refers to that number when something is needed.

I guess that most of us are fascinated by those old photos of travel trailers gone by and the photos of some of the various trips and safari's they went on. Sometimes they would convoy in numerical sequence.

The Owner of an Oliver may change, but that hull number will always be the same. It is a permanent part of that vehicle's registration, and a way of tracking the history of that particular Oliver.

It makes me wonder, is it too early to start a OLIVER DIRECTORY ?

Maybe a online directory ? I know that Betty and I wouldn't mind being in such a directory.

So to that end, I have listed our hull number in our signature line. I think that is is kind of a cool way of marking our Oliver's place in time !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderator+

Yes, Larry, I think it's a great idea for an owner directory. Even before we bought the , I suggested to Robert that we form a owner's club much like Airstream did. We could issue each owner that wanted to join a unique number that they could apply to their Oliver. Then, anyone with a directory (could be online) would be able to ID the owner, where they are from, etc. The number could incorporate the Hull Number into it also so that would be obvious to other owners. Maybe the last two digits of the year and the Hull Number in combination. Maybe you could select your own number. It's the owners club so we could design it any way we wanted to.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

Vedamen,

Sorry, but we're not certain that this will derive the hull number from the Casita VIN. I talked to Larry this morning about your request and he's not sure either. He is off on a deer hunt and will be out of pocket this weekend. This system works for the Olivers. I feel sure it will work for Casitas too...

Here's how to decode a VIN:

When decoded, the VIN tells the country and year of manufacture; make, model and serial number; assembly plant; and in some cases it even identifies equipment specifications.

The system goes something like this: sequence for characters is first A to Z, then 1 to 9, and last 0. The letters "I", "O" and "Q" are typically omitted from system.

The vehicle identification number is divided into four parts:

World Manufacturer's Identification (WMI - three characters)

Vehicle Description Section (VDS - five characters)

The VIN Accuracy Check Digit

Vehicle Identification Section (VIS - eight characters)

World Manufacturer’s Identification (WMI)

The first character in the WMI sequence represents the country where the vehicle was manufactured. Countries like the United States (1 or 4), Canada (2) and Mexico (3) are represented by numbers while other countries such as Germany (W), Italy (Z) and Japan (J) are represented by letters.

The second character refers to the manufacturer. The characters can be either letters or numbers. For example: Jaguar (A), Dodge (B), Chrysler ©, Jeep (J), Buick (4), Cadillac (6) or Saturn (8).

The third character represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division.

Vehicle Description Section (VDS) and Check Digit

The vehicle description section consists of five characters (the 4th to 8th characters) which identify everything from the body style, engine type, and braking system to model, series, restraint system, etc. The 9th character is a VIN accuracy check digit which verifies the previous VIN numbers. It is determined by carrying out a mathematical computation developed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).

Vehicle Identification Section (VIS)

The vehicle identification section includes the last eight characters in the VIN number. The numbers identify the model year (10th character) and the assembly plant for the vehicle (11th character). A number or letter may represent the model year. For example: 1998 (W), 2000 (Y), 2007 (7) or 2008 (8).

The 12th to 17th characters are the actual serial number of the vehicle—these last 6 digits make the vehicle unique (think of DNA). It can also help to identify whether the vehicle was the first, the hundredth, or the last vehicle off the manufacturer’s assembly line. This is valuable information for collectors.

So, the next time you see that long number printed on your registration papers or stamped across your dashboard, you’ll know how to decode it. This will give you a better understanding of where your unique vehicle actually came from!

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

It makes me wonder, is it too early to start a OLIVER DIRECTORY ?

Maybe a online directory ? I know that Betty and I wouldn't mind being in such a directory.

We have #4, and wouldn't mind. I can put something up on oliver.hewus.com, but what sort of information should be collected?

Do you have an example of such a directory?

• Moderator+

I spoke with Robert this afternoon and told him about our interest in starting an Owner's Club. I asked him if Oliver would be willing to send out a cover letter to all current owners letting them know. In addition I asked that information be provided to future owners when they pick up their units. He said that both of these requests should be "doable." He's out of town for a couple of days but said that when he gets back to the office he will start looking at this for us. Let's everyone that's interested weigh in on this and use our collective talents to make this thing work. Ideas???

Steve

• Moderators

We're with you, meanderthal. We'd love to be a "hull's angel"! :D

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Good idea, Tom. I'm at work right now and can't get into it as well as I'd like. I need to talk to some other people I know to form some definite thoughts. I will take your advice and begin a new thread. Give me a day or so and I'll have some concrete ideas we can throw around.

Thanks,

Steve

• Moderators

Laptop in deer camp, just came in for a late lunch.

>

Many Rv'ers refer to their electrical hook up as shore power. Much of our trailer's equipment and the trailer it's self, is Marine grade.

Traveling our nation's highway system is much like navigating our nation's intercostal waterways in a boat. Since the highway system connects our nation from coast to coast, our highway system might well be referred to as an intracoastal byway system ?

All of that might just be the fanciful meanderings of an old Navy bratt. But, there is some logic to the reasoning behind the Hull Number system. Here is a link to a Wikipedia listing for Hull Number:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_number

I'll bet nearly everyone can draw some similaritys out of the article. Just something to ponder as we cruise our nation's vast asphalt network.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Want to put your hull number in your signature line as some members are beginning to do ? Just open the user control panel and click on edit signature.

Type HULL NUMBER In capitol letters, swipe the words to highlight them, make them bold by clicking on the B, after then type the last four digits of your vin/hin number, 0004 . To turn the numbers red just swipe them to highlight them, then select font color red.

• Moderators

DCKiefer,

Good question. I picked up the Wonder Egg on march 27th and happen to know its #14 in "birth order" with the last 6 numbers of the VIN being 305014 . . . so I use Hull # 014 in my signature. Logic would make yours the 28th off the line. I imagine this general "rule" would work for the first 99, then something else will occur in the VIN sequence.

I'd imagine next year's 21 footers will have a different VIN makeup.

I think its GREAT being in on the start of a quality product that's made to last a lifetime!!! :D

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 11 years later...
On 11/24/2008 at 6:55 PM, bugeyedriver said:

DCKiefer,

Good question. I picked up the Wonder Egg on march 27th and happen to know its #14 in "birth order" with the last 6 numbers of the VIN being 305014 . . . so I use Hull # 014 in my signature. Logic would make yours the 28th off the line. I imagine this general "rule" would work for the first 99, then something else will occur in the VIN sequence.

I'd imagine next year's 21 footers will have a different VIN makeup.

I think its GREAT being in on the start of a quality product that's made to last a lifetime!!! http://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Should we revive this old discussion, bringing it up to date for all builds through current?  Or are there newer discussions related to this one? 

I ask because today I received the VIN for our "to be built soon" 2021 Elite II.  Coincidentally, the last 6 numbers of our VIN are identical to yours - 305014!  So, I assume ours will be #14 for the 2021 model year, but what do the characters "3050" represent?  I realize that characters preceding the last 6 "serial numbers" make the VIN unique, especially the model year; ours is "M" which I find translates to model year 2021. 

So, for model years after the initial 2008 builds, where in the VIN does the Hull # come to light - if indeed it does.  I'm assuming Hull numbers roll from model year to model year.

If there is an newer discussion on this topic, perhaps someone can post a link; I haven't found one.

Thanks.  

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Hull numbers no longer correspond to the VIN. I think the change to the VIN sequence started with the 2019 model but I could be wrong. 

Current trailers will come with a small plaque with the hull number on it.  Once your trailer is in production and has been assigned a hull number, your salesperson will be able to give it to you.  

I believe that Oliver is putting the trailer number on the back of all the trailers now also.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Overland said:

Hull numbers no longer correspond to the VIN. I think the change to the VIN sequence started with the 2019 model but I could be wrong. 

Current trailers will come with a small plaque with the hull number on it.  Once your trailer is in production and has been assigned a hull number, your salesperson will be able to give it to you.  

I believe that Oliver is putting the trailer number on the back of all the trailers now also.

I think the trailer number on the back of the Oliver is an optional item.  You designate this option when you order exterior graphics style, color, and location.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

It's really nice for me to see "Mountainborn's topic" pop up in my feed. So, thanks for that, Susan Huff.

Larry and Betty, (mountainborn) were the original Ollie pioneers. His grainy cellphone youtube videos brought a bunch of us into the first 50 ownership group. They're both amazing people, with vast camping, life,  and outdoor experience, and  we feel blessed to count them as friends. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

And, they came back to help the launch of the new Elite II in 2015.

This is Larry, Betty, and a young family visiting them, friends from their work camping days . Poco, Larry and Betty's dog, is in the foreground.  That fuzzy puppy in the loving arms of the boy in red is my dog Livvy, at her first Tampa Rv Supershow. I'm guessing I took the photo, since it's a bit out of focus.

20200925_194959.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Is Oliver still putting the Hull Number plaques inside the door?

I spoke to Larry on the phone when I was trying to get onto the old forum.  He was happy to get me on and also wanted to talk and ask about me and Carol and made me feel welcomed and comfortable well before we even ordered #135. Mike.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Larry started the original forum. 

We all owe him a debt of thanks.

Sherry 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Sherry said:

That fuzzy puppy in the loving arms of the boy in red is my dog Livvy, at her first Tampa Rv Supershow.

Krunch and I met Larry and Betty at a I-75 rest area after they left the Supershow in 2015.  He showed us the new LEII they were traveling around with  promoting Oliver Travel Trailers.  Did they make more than one trip to Tampa?
He and Betty are great Oliver Ambassadors.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

That was the 2015 show. Livvy will be six next month.

She's a veteran camper, now.😄

20200501_113258.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4