So proud...

Overland

LOL, apparently, the RV industry thinks that “snowballs” are the, uh, polar opposite of the standard ugly RV -

(pardon the f-bombs in the article - if you’re sensitive to such things then don’t click.)

https://jezebel.com/jezebel-investigates-why-are-rvs-so-fucking-hideous-1836824623

Frankly, I’d love for Oliver to trash their “swoop”.  It the least attractive, and least creative thing about the trailer.  I’ve actually considered removing the custom graphics from ours. I kind of miss our pure white snowball.

798FD5F3-4EE7-406C-A475-136AB45C8698.thumb.jpeg.7c43e8ec81e55862f737582733aa4d94.jpeg

But to answer the author’s question, the reason most RVs are so ugly isn’t because of the graphics. They’re ugly because without those graphics it’s obvious exactly what they are - cheaply built tin boxes on wheels.

Olivers (and Airstrams, Scamps, Escapes, Casitas, etc.) can be snowballs and still be beautiful, because their beauty is more than skin deep.

• Thanks 3

I won’t ever read anything on Jezebel.

But I agree with your comment about the swooshes on Ollies. I think they are both unnecessary and detract from their clean and sophisticated lines. ”Mouse” is mostly bare. I had asked for just the Oliver Legacy Elite II graphic on each side and the front factory logo. They left off the stripes but also left off the side logos. I got so darned tired of hearing people ask, “Is that some sort of Casita?” Or “What is a Mouse?” that I had them send me stickers at no charge.

Not once since I installed them have I been asked that particular question..... Now it is usually “That is so cool, I have been reading about Olivers! Can I peek inside?”

1D26EC0D-C173-4AED-8E3B-1BFA57F5601A.thumb.jpeg.2a565cb55c5c89cd9cc2bf7239088d05.jpeg

PS I want your awning straps, do they flutter and moan in strong crosswinds and do you have a link? Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think the author has issues, my opinion.  It is all about the personal preference. The rv industry follow the trends, if they thought the graphics weren’t effective they would make changes. The down fall is you get want they want. Look at the million dollar Rvs  customers spend over 80 thousand plus for paint work.  I don’t think i ever seen a all white provost. If there are that’s what that person wants. Another and many reasons the Oliver stands out, i could be wrong, but they make changes based on customer feed back more so than industry trends.  Oliver gives you the choice, for the most part. I hope it stays that way.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I like the logos for identity but wondered if they could be removed if I wanted to put a custom decal in the future. You mentioned removing them . Can it be done reasonably and how? Anya

For the most part, you just peel them off and then clean up any remaining adhesive - a hair dryer or a hot day will help. Sign companies use power washers to peel them off. The older they are, the more difficult they are to remove.

I ordered our new Oliver without the front and rear logos, have since put on our new logo design in those spots. I wanted the side stripes to be the thin style and not the double color thick ones, just because it's too much for a luxury trailer in my opinion, there are reasons why you don't see stripes and logos on the Lexus. I do plan someday to remove the side stripes, but will leave the OLIVER and Elite II logos on the rear sides, I think they do say luxury looks. Since our trailer theme is the "Lone Star Travelers" and I have our logos on the front and rear of the trailer I'm not wanting to overdue the side with something that goes with that, it would be too much and the trailer would start to look like a side show attraction vehicle. I have some ideas that I'm working on, both using the existing side stripes, or removing one of then and using just one, but this still remains in my head for the time being. Designing and building things has always been a hobby for me, so I really enjoy doing things like this, it passes the time when needing something to do. Remember everyone has what they like on there trailers and not any of them are wrong, it's a personal thing with each and everyone of us.

trainman

DSCN3875-1.thumb.jpg.f6992550fcfd66fae3d5f71f2ea3ebf1.jpg

DSCN3871-1.thumb.jpg.d3954c6ad24e24e636b45cccd807cde1.jpg

• Thanks 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

I’m ambivalent on the stripes. I’ve thought about removing ours a couple of times, just never did it. I did have some custom graphics on the side in place of the Oliver Legacy Elite II that said The Lone Star Oliver. I took it off after a couple of years because I was tired of folks asking where in Texas it was made. When I explained it was made in Tennessee the question was why would they call it a Lone Star Oliver. I would explain that was our naming of our trailer and then I was asked “why would you want to do that?”. I thought about having a FAQ card made that I could just hand out but removing the confusing graphics won the day. Mike

4EC1E8F5-5926-4C63-B0FE-0394DA076961.thumb.jpeg.9398aa3bd19cfac97b6b8f3c2f403b43.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

For simple stripes, I was very close to doing this before switching to our mountain snowflake on the side.  I think it's much more elegant than what we ended up with, though obviously I like what we have, too -

Screen-Shot-2019-08-24-at-11_03.59-AM.thumb.png.b7e97130b16e3284d9b0e528efe42a7b.png

And before we had the snowball scheme, I liked this (which ironically later became Oliver's official color scheme).  But my wife thought it was too boring for us -

Screen-Shot-2019-08-24-at-11_03.14-AM.thumb.png.71fbb027a7d3adaf7bb05a3e4b2de68e.png

And being a Star Trek fan, I also threatened her with this, but apart from being over the top, in the end I thought it looked too much like the Scamp stripe anyway -

Screen-Shot-2019-08-24-at-11_05.20-AM.thumb.png.2f63078120414d2b5581ee826a21e490.png

• Thanks 1

One thing about straight stripes, it makes it dead easy to see if your rig is level. The frame is a little odd, the rear bumper structure is reinforced and the crossbars extend down below the actual frame rails, so it looks a little butt-low when it is not. Has anyone else noticed that?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Mike, I liked your graphics so much I wanted to copy them, but being the nice guy I am I decided to do my own artwork and come up with another Texas theme. Mine goes with our new Ram Lone Star Edition pickup, I just followed the theme somewhat from the Ram to the trailer and out the spare tire. I have a set of 2019 Ram Lone Star Edition tailgate emblems that I may stick on the trailer side under the Oliver emblems at the rear, just still kicking the idea around for the time being.

trainman

DSCN3666.thumb.jpg.d52117a4bb3cbb25115a89f77c058664.jpg

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

I specifically chose fewer/lighter decals versus the alternative and appreciated the fact that Oliver gave owners the choice.  Some of the side stripe color combinations that I've seen are very nice while others are simply just not my style and/or taste.  Specifically, I did not get a front graphic.  While I thought that the standard Oliver design was fine, I objected to the fact that bugs are more difficult to remove from a decal than they are to remove from the gel-coat.  Also, I had asked that the factory not put the "Oliver Legacy Elite II" on the sides of the camper.  However, Anita pointed out that (even more) people would then be asking me questions versus simply noting the name and looking it up online.  I still don't really like that on the side but (as usual) Anita was correct.  Heck!  Even changing the "Oliver" to "Twist" high up on the rear of the camper has come back to haunt me - "who makes the "Twist"?

Bill

p.s.  (I've been tempted to answer that question with - "Chubby Checker" but have never done so.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
  • Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
Mike, I liked your graphics so much I wanted to copy them, but being the nice guy I am I decided to do my own artwork and come up with another Texas theme. Mine goes with our new Ram Lone Star Edition pickup, I just followed the theme somewhat from the Ram to the trailer and out the spare tire. I have a set of 2019 Ram Lone Star Edition tailgate emblems that I may stick on the trailer side under the Oliver emblems at the rear, just still kicking the idea around for the time being.

trainman

I’ve got the Ram Lone Star edition 1500, too. It’s a nice logo and translated nicely to your Oliver graphic. Looks good.

No decals on mine, partly for some of the reasons listed, but mostly because I don't want to clean/wax around them.  I think the tribal tattoos on SOBs mask the imperfections in a 40' long laminate wall.

Overland: you need to paint warp coils on the awnings if you go with that scheme.

Between Olivers…