Anyone been to Indiana Dunes NP?

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I was looking around for first night stop leaving Elkhart next May, as we're probably doing another delivery.

This newly designated National Park is a little over an hour away, off 20. It looks beautiful. ( and campground opens May 15!)

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/travel/national-parks/indiana-dunes-guide-what-to-do

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Funny you should ask!  I’m still catching up on missed forum activity, so I just saw your question about the Indiana Dunes NP.  It used to be Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore until becoming a NP in February of this year.  It surrounds Indiana Dunes State Park which has different fees and rules.

We stopped at the Dunes on our way back from a family reunion in Illinois.  We stayed 2 nights in the Dunewood campground.  It is an older campground, the showers and restrooms were nice and clean as was the campground.

EDIT:  Sorry, my bad!  There is no electric at Dunewood Campground.  

Electric only  With dump station and central water as most cold weather campgrounds are.  I thought the parking pads were on the small side, but each camp site had a large picnic table and fire ring area.  The campground is very shady with lots of new growth trees.  The bugs were not bad for a shady camp site.

The park is rather unique in that it is more urban and industrial.  The dunes were impressive unless you compare them to White Sands or the Great Sand Dunes NP's. The beaches are gravel with mostly round stones.  We arrived Labor Day afternoon and the State Park was a zoo.  We checked in the campsite and chilled.  Rain in the morning sent most of the tent campers away and the crowds were much smaller everywhere we went on Tuesday.

Access into the park was easy as we came in from the west on I-80 and left on Hwy 20 and then back on l-80 to Elkhart and the museum.

Do check it out if you are in the area, it’s worth the visit and at $25 for 2 nights with the NP pass, it’s a bargain.

Mike

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Thank you!

You had power at Dunewood?

I don't usually care, but leaving Elkhart, with a new rv, it's nice to know that all the electric elements work. We can always run the generator, as we have in the past. The idea of an electric hookup is enticing, though.... Since the deliveries we do don't have solar

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
Thank you!

You had power at Dunewood?

I don’t usually care, but leaving Elkhart, with a new rv, it’s nice to know that all the electric elements work. We can always run the generator, as we have in the past. The idea of an electric hookup is enticing, though…. Since the deliveries we do don’t have solar

Sherry

I was updating my campground log and realized I mispoke concerning electric service at Dunewoods campground.  There is no electric service there.  Sorry about the incorrect information.  I did check with Indiana Dunes State Park and their website states that they have 20 amp service.

Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

No worries.

The wording has changed several times on the official campground description, since I've been looking.

I think we'll enjoy it there, without electric. So far, says reservations open in November for spring.

Thanks for your insights. Glad to know the geezer pass works, too. We'll likely have a couple other (geezer type) campers with us, this time.

And now, it says campground opens in April? Used to say May 15.

I chalk it up to being new on the res system.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4