Emergency jack question

ThomB87

Anyone carry a bottle jack in case of a flat? If so what size and brand? I have one in my Tundra. Have not look at the size but it buried under the back seat. Often the back seat becomes extra storage. Thinking of getting an extra and placing so it is more accessible in case of emergency.

Counting the days till Oct 1st.

Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators

Bill -

With all other RV's I've owned until the Oliver, I carried a small bottle jack. Along with the jack in my truck I was always able to do what was necessary to fix any problem I encountered. Back when I purchased my Oliver it was still permissible to use the onboard "leveling/stabilizing" jacks for this purpose. However, the Factory now recommends NOT using these jacks for any purpose other than to "stabilize". I recently noted that on new Olivers there are even decals placed down near the frame which show places where frame jacking points are located.

Certainly I'm not in a position where I can tell you what to do with your Oliver. Nor can I foresee all circumstances in which a jack might be necessary. However, in the rare times I've needed to raise my wheels (one side at a time only) off the ground, I've used my onboard jacks. I believe that I'm aware of the risks in doing this and my Oliver is no longer under warranty.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,

I had the same question about jacking up the Oliver, so I purchased the Andersen kit that included a red plastic Rapid Jack. It allows you to drive up on with one tire while lifting the other tire. I thought I had it figured out until we attended the 2019 Rally and Dexter cautioned against the use of such devices. The concern is that the W shaped spring shackle will "flip" down and you might have a real problem getting it back into place. My solution was to purchase a new Ford "take-out" bottle jack on E Bay. It is compact, has a 4 ton capacity, and a shaft that telescopes to about 17 inches. I mounted the jack and its cradle on a board and store it in the basement. I had to use it once and it worked great.

John

• Thanks 3

John & Eileen

2018 F150 EB Super Crew FX4

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #405

I agree with Overland; just use the onboard jack..oops I mean stabilizer. In this litigious society I can see why Oliver (and other manufacturers) with advice from their attorneys would want to take a CYA approach for all possible contingencies. I carry a small aluminum floor jack in the truck when towing; weighs about 30 lbs and has a 3000lb capacity. Most likely just a 30lb placebo as I would use the "stabilizer" for changing a tire. Can't fault Oliver in my opinion for their conservative position. No flames intended!

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

I agree with Overland; just use the onboard jack..oops I mean stabilizer. In this litigious society I can see why Oliver (and other manufacturers) with advice from their attorneys would want to take a CYA approach for all possible contingencies. I carry a small aluminum floor jack in the truck when towing; weighs about 30 lbs and has a 3000lb capacity. Most likely just a 30lb placebo as I would use the “stabilizer” for changing a tire. Can’t fault Oliver in my opinion for their conservative position. No flames intended!

I agree with this completely. Used to be, Oliver advertised the stabilizers as OK for jacking. And even now, I'll find one tire off the ground when I'm leveling. But I would never pull a tire off and climb under while supported by the "stabilizer"

I also carry a small aluminum floor jack for tire changing. They slip right in under the axle next to the tire.

I also see no reason why you can't run one tire up on a rock, or stack of boards to lift the other one off the ground. The shackle flipping around seems very unlikely. That uneven position happens a lot while driving on rough roads.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Did not mean to stir up a debate. Yes I saw previous treads about using the stabilizers. But yes now Oliver now advises against it. Even the new You Tube video Oliver posted shows a diagram where to place emergency jack. Because of that I am reluctant to use the stabilizers. I will carry a set of Anderson levelers for leveling the trailer. Used one for my previous trailer. Therefore I am looking for something compact to carry for flats and hope to never use it.

• Moderators

Bill -

It is hard to argue against being safe and doing what makes one feel safer. Obviously, anytime you're messing around with something weighing as much as an Oliver it pays to be careful. Using jacks of any sort has always made me a bit nervous. That little "head" on bottle jacks looks even smaller to me when in use even though I always use something between it and what I'm jacking in order to distribute the weight a bit over a larger surface. The pressed steel parts of vehicle jacks never look strong enough to hold up what I'm about to work on. Sure, jack stands help with my fears but they are bulky and carrying them all the time is a bit more than I can bare. Which ever way you choose, just be careful and be redundant if possible.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/bottle-jacks/8-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-96648.html

Don’t stake your life on it, use this under the closest frame and run your stabilizers down as a backup.

I do it the other way around..... just an hour ago I lifted all four tires off the ground for a pre trip bearing check. It took all of two minutes. The onboard jacks are perfectly fine when used prudently on level pavement.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks to all who replied. John I think that is an fine idea of using the bottle jack for lift and the stabilizer as a backup. Redundancy is always good when possible, I already have jack stands in my garage for axle work but not taking them on the road.

Looking forward to Oct 1.

Bill Thomas

How many of the jacks did you use to lift the trailer in two minutes? What did you use to increase the base of the jack and where was the jack placed? I am would like to learn more. Perhaps I need to look up how to change a tire? Thank you.

R2W

You just have to extend the built in jacks. With some blocks underneath, like the lego style ones, they extend far enough to lift the entire trailer off the ground. I wouldn't recommend doing that however, as the trailer isn't particularly stable that way - the jacks aren't designed to take lateral forces and could easily fold over, leaving your trailer on the ground, hopefully without you under it. If you use the jacks to lift the trailer, always make sure that one set of tires is on the ground and chocked at all times.

Also remember that Oliver doesn't even want you to do that anymore, due to some failures of the rear jack mounts in some early trailers (different mount design than now).

• Thanks 1