MaxxAir Fan Cleaning

• Moderators

Sometime ago I presented a Mod where I installed a black filter material on the MaxxAir Fan in order to reduce light transmission into the interior of my Oliver. I thought an added benefit of this mod was that the filter material would keep the fan somewhat cleaner than it would have been otherwise since normally I only use the fan on the exhaust setting.

While in Montana this year I noted a "couple" of insects that were trapped on the other side of the filter material and a few days before heading home the fan developed a ticking sound - particularly at slow speeds. So, I figured I'd remove the filter, fix that ticking sound and clean the interior of the fan for the first time in four years. Upon removing the filter material, I was totally surprised with the number of dead bugs and the nastiness of the fan. Since the MaxxAir frame is caulked into place (along with four screws) onto the inside shell of my Oliver, I proceeded to remove what I could of the fan without a total removal. Here is how I did it:

1 – Remove the screen by turning the four plastic “tabs” 180 degrees either to the right or left.

2 – Remove the inner face plate – the one with the controls and knob that is used to manually open the exterior cover (see picture) by removing four screws plus the screw in the center of the black knob. Disconnect the electrical connection noted in the picture and gently let the faceplate hang in place.

3 - Remove the fan using an allen wrench (3/32 I believe). In my case the set screw holding the fan to the motor shaft was either put on by a gorilla or had a bit of corrosion which caused the set screw to be difficult to loosen. I put a couple of drops of “Liquid Wrench” on the threads of the set screw, let it set for a few minutes and then used a small piece of tubing as a breaker bar as a help with the small allen wrench. Be a bit careful here with the force applied - you do not want to strip the inside of this set screw. Also be careful with all plastic parts in that they are easy to break.

4 – Clean and dry screen and fan. I used “Simple Green” cleaner and a soft brush to clean both the screen and the fan. The fan was then wiped down with the same mixture I use on the interior of the Oliver – 4 parts Duragloss detailer with 1 part Duragloss liquid wax – in order to give it a nice clean shine.

5 – Clean the inner face plate and clean all other interior surfaces of the MaxxAir. Again, I used this Duragloss mixture.

6 – Re-assemble all parts in the reverse order. Note that when re-installing the fan on the motor shaft, the fan set screw should be tightened against the “flat” surface on the motor shaft. Do not over-tighten any of the screws that go into plastic! Snug is sufficient. Don’t forget to re-connect that electrical connection that was disconnected in step 2 above. When re-installing the screen, if the four plastic “tabs” were originally turned 180 degrees then the screen should easily slip back into place. These four tabs can then be turned back to the original position into the indent on the face of the plastic on the screen. Do not force these plastic tabs, they are snug but finger pressure is all that is necessary if they and the screen are positioned correctly.

7 – Turn the fan on to make sure that all is well.

For what its worth, the “ticking” sound was caused by a little label (serial number and model of fan) becoming partially un-stuck from the interior side of the fan housing. As the fan would rotate, the blades would hit this label causing the noise.

tools-needed-jpeg.thumb.jpg.70f184449fe19ce0405407fd3e59ca44.jpg

removal-of-interior-faceplate-2-jpeg.thumb.jpg.dbe33d50958fe7706dccdceb03490142.jpg

letting-faceplate-hang-jpeg.thumb.jpg.267d5aacbc400d68df5c10f1663bd9d8.jpg

fan-removal-jpeg_pptx.thumb.jpg.df1bbbfed2cf25a1163c4c58e9de8fb4.jpg

before-after-jpeg_pptx.thumb.jpg.f57dbfc049b9a05fa3d078a6b544bd17.jpg

• Thanks 11

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

. Since the MaxxAir frame is caulked into place (along with four screws) onto the inside shell of my Oliver.

Thanks for the pictures. The fan does get gross.....

FYI that frame is not a frame at all. The actual frame is screwed and sealed to the roof, outside. That piece you see inside is just a cosmetic trim ring. It slides over the frame to adjust for different roof to ceiling lengths. Go ahead and take it off if you like, the caulk should NOT be there. If rain water gets down inside the fan it will pool up inside the trim ring and then migrate into the space between the inner and outer hulls. Not good, but not super harmful. If there is no sealer there, any water in that area will drip out and onto the floor, or onto your head.....

Hmmm, maybe it would be better if the water stays up there..... LOL

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John -

Yes, I suspected that this caulked in trim ring was as you describe. However, I was in no mood to deal with removing caulk and what I did was more than enough to get 95% of the fan clean. While it is not entirely comfortable, with the fan removed and a little flexibility, virtually all of the interior of the unit can be cleaned.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

An alternative way to clean the maxfan is to just remove it entirely. If you don’t mind getting on the roof, you just raise the fan to it’s in use position, that exposes 4 screws, remove the screws and the whole assembly lifts out. All that remains is 2 wires and the inner and outer trim rings, I just cut the butt wire connectors and removed the whole unit, disassembled the fan and thoroughly cleaned it. Reassembly was just new butt connectors crimped into place, drop the fan back in and reinsert the 4 screws, done!

Steve

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

I would ask, "what in the world are YOU doing up on the Oliver roof?". But that question is probably better answered over a couple of beers!

Bill

• Haha 1

I would encourage anyone with the time and or the ability to remove the maxfan, if for no other reason to see how the Oliver is “over built” I didn’t measure the roof thickness,but just seeing the honeycomb core fiberglass construction it was obvious the roof will handle an extreme amount of weight.

Steve

STEVEnBETTY

I would encourage anyone with the time and or the ability to remove the maxfan, if for no other reason to see how the Oliver is “over built” I didn’t measure the roof thickness,but just seeing the honeycomb core fiberglass construction it was obvious the roof will handle an extreme amount of weight.

Steve

Steve,

Here's project photos from last year:

IMG_0760-M.jpg

IMG_0761-M.jpg

IMG_0766-M.jpg

IMG_0765-M.jpg

• Thanks 3

LE2

• 3 years later...
On 8/28/2019 at 4:05 AM, topgun2 said:

Sometime ago I presented a Mod where I installed a black filter material on the MaxxAir Fan in order to reduce light transmission into the interior of my Oliver.

@topgun2 I know it’s been a few years since this post, but do you maybe have a link for this mod? I searched the forum but no luck! I also want to blacken out the MaxxAir Fan cover.

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks SeaDawg for looking up that post!

Unfortunately, that post will be of little use in that the pieces that are used to hold the air filter material are no longer made.

However, Mossemi developed another solution that results in basically the same bottom line.  You might want to send him a PM in that regard.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

@topgun2, I wonder if j channel from frp board (dairy board) from home depot or lowes would work? It's relatively thin, and inexpensive. 

Screenshot_20230816_093128_Lowe's.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I wonder if j channel from frp board (dairy board) from home depot or lowes would work?

I don't believe that this product is the one that Mossemi used.  I think that his was more like the channels used for screens and I know that he used Velcro to attach those channels to the ceiling (MaxAir frame).

Bill

• Like 2