HOHENWALD HOMECOMING / OLIVER OWNERS REUNION ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

The third week of January. The dead of Winter. The hollidays are over. It is too early to go fishing and deer season is over. Cabin fever runs rampant ! Somehow, this time of the year, we just gotta' get out.

We are discussing another trip to the factory to get a few upgrades, you know, stuff like those double pane windows that weren't available when we picked up our Ollie.

Any one else going to be going to the factory during that time frame ? We could make the nice folks over at the Junkyard go crazy ! We could make breakfast at the General a real happening ! We could make the Mexican buffet at the RIO Colorado an absolute blow out ! We could . . . . . well, you get the idea.

So, how about it fellow Ollie Owners, are ya' gona' be anywhere in the area about that time ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Ok, I'm not adverse to winter camping... especially in a toasty warm Oliver. (I grew up, after all, in Minnesota.) Last year, we were in Middle Tennessee in mid-January. Sweater weather (to me, at least...) But, honestly, it will likely be awfully chilly at happy hour around the old BBQ. A number of area attractions, other than Nashville,will be closed outside of season. However, we might get to see a little snow, and that's always fun for a Florida transplant!!!

Today's high for the Hohenwald area is in the high thirties, and low in the teens. Forecast says up to the fifties over the weekend, though, for a high. Just something to think about...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

He, he, I wonder if that's why I subconsiously listed indoors sports activities like breakfast, lunch & dinner ! Last New Years Day we were at the factory in Hohenwald and found a few minutes to look for a few geocaches. It was so cold that the brass monkey . . . . . :mrgreen:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderator+

Subject: brass monkey

In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters

carried iron cannons. Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls. It was

necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. But how to prevent them

from rolling about the deck?

The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one

ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen.

Thus, a supply of thirty cannon balls could be stacked in a small area

right next to the cannon.

There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from

sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate

called a "Monkey" with sixteen round indentations. But, if this plate

was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution

to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys."

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much

faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped

too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon

balls would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally,

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"

Actually this tale is probably not true, but it makes an interesting story.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg