Renogy 100w suitcase panel lowest price ever on Prime

John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Roguebooks, do you have a controller, or just the zamp port with a fuse?

The unit John posted does not have a controller. If you simply have a port, and inline fuse, wired to the battery, you need a controller, also. That's the way most "solar ready" options are wired. If so, Click through the options in John's post for a suitcase INCLUDING controller. It's a bit more.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I have a controller inside the trailer that operates my Zamp solar panels on the roof. I also have the Zamp ports outside. The Zamp suitcase I was looking at comes with its own controller on the panels. I guess I assumed this Renogy came with a controller as well. Not sure how this all works.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

You'd probably be best off with a waterproof controller on the panel , and some decent length of wire to get the Renogy suitcase into tbe sun. The referenced Renogy is really an add-on panel, or could be standalone, but looks like it comes with a foot or so of wire, and alligator clips to attach to a battery.

Since you have a port installed, you need a controller, a length of cord, a connector that fits the Zamp, which I believe is sae, but wired reversed from normal polarity, to make it "zamp proprietary." Someone with a zamp port can help more here, as we wired a furrion port, which is yet a different connector.

There is a converter on amazon to convert sae to zamp port, for probably 25 dollars. I remember looking at it months ago for my sister, but don't quote me. If you buy the panels only, probably just as easy to wire everything up originally to meet your Zamp port requirements.

Here's an older thread which will either help, or confuse you more. https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/additional-100w-suitcase/

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I just replaced the defective Zamp controller inside the trailer and now want to get a portable 90 to add for better boon docking capabilities. The Zamp people were very helpful and I will most likely spend the $500 for their unit (with controller) just because of their customer service. I do like to save money however. But I like manufacturers that treat the customer with respect and are helpful (unlike MaxxAir for example) so Zamp will probably be the one. I also replaced (at my cost) the deluxe MaxxAir fan after Oliver already replaced the control pad and lift motor to no avail. This time I opted out of the motorized lift as something else that can go wrong with their junk. Thank you for your help.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

OK, now we see there is a controller on the Renogy unit. Does that mean I can just simply plug it into my outside Zamp plug-in factory-installed on my 2018 Oliver Elite I? That would be cool and save me around $300. I already have two Zamp panels on my roof. Just wanting to add a bit more insurance for too much shade or a cloudy day.

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

The zamp port is installed on trailers and motorhomes across many brands. Lots of people use Renogy and other brands of panels with the zamp port. And, because of the widespread use of the Zamp port, there's a lot of choice out there in adaptors and cables to make other less expensive options work.

Renogy may even sell an adaptor, themselves. As long as the panel has mc4 connectors on the back, you should be able to buy a 10 ft cable with zamp end, or a cable and connector, for I'm estimating $25 to $50. You could call Renogy about the specific unit you want.. there are four options in John's link above. And, Renogy is running a labor day sale right now, as well. Yesterday, I saw a 20 per cent off coupon code for first time checkout with google express when I looked briefly at the renogy site.. .

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Zamp also offers a 25 year solar production warranty, similar to quality home systems. It would be nice if they posted initial efficiency ratings, though. I chose US made panels for our home, at a premium over import. I understand your reasoning.

We chose Sunpower, however, for the installation we're currently doing on the boat, with Victron controllers and monitors. Primarily for published efficiency ratings.

Honestly, you're looking for backup, not primary, as we are for the boat, so definitely go with your comfort zone. A few hundred is a few nights dining out, vs. Unknowns, and ease of plug and play.

I will say, Zamp panels are a lot heavier. That's both a plus and minus. The frames on Zamp are beefier. But more to lift and stow.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, except looking to the future with my sister who also has a Zamp port installed in her rpod. We installed a Furrion port in our Oliver, so a different set of issues. Reminds me of VHS vs BETA, duking it out in the vcr world. When I was still using reel to reel, and a remote monitor... lol.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4