Need help, opened the awning for the first time, stuck.(2017 Fiamma F45 manual)

Muppy

Hey all,

Here is the first hiccup, and have not even been camping yet.Dang it.

We opened the awning. I think we turned it too far when the arms extended...like we tried to make them straighter?

Now we can not close it.

There is no manual or paperwork in the packet from the previous owner and can not find anything to download online.

Can you help us out with some instructions and how to release it?

Thank you,

Muppy (John & Cheryl)

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

• Moderator+

Try pushing inward on the arms at their “elbows” while attempting to close the awning. Obviously this will be a four-handed effort. Hyperextending the arms will sometimes lock them open. They are normally not straight when deployed. Sorry if that sounds like Captain Obvious. ?‍✈️

Be careful not to pinch your fingers or palm of your hand if it gives suddenly.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

While doing what Steve suggests, take a look at the part (metal tube) from which the awning is attached to the Oliver. Try (by hand) rotating it as another person pushes on those arms.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Scubarx,

Just went out and checked.

The arms are not locked, they are ok. It seems it is the awning is not released to go into the cover.

Turning the long handled arm to the left it moves outward a little then stops, about a half inch.....turning the long handled arm to the right it will not turn at all.

.??

Any suggestion?

Muppy

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

TopGun,

Just saw your response. I have to wait a little while for husband to return,He had to run a errand. I will write back and let you and Scubarx know what happened in a little while.

THANKS!

Muppy

New Hampshire residents.

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

ScubaRx and TopGun,

YAY! What worked was getting on a ladder and pushing on the arms one at a time, which released the pressure off the turning mechanism. So with each side pushed in a little ,it would turn a little bit more taking in the awning. When I reached up on the awning itself, I could feel the over extension, just like rolling blinds reach their end.

Both of you taught us something and helped! Thank you. Maybe another newbie will learn from our mistake.

Have a great weekend!

I am sure you will hear from the newbies again soon...LOL

Muppy ( Cheryl & John)

• Thanks 2

New Hampshire residents.

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

• Moderator+

Thanks for letting us know that you had success. Yay

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Yep - these things are indeed very much like those old blinds. Put a little too much pressure on that thing and those little gears just can't handle it without a bit of assistance. I usually wind mine all the way out and then back it up a half turn or so just to be on the safe side. Glad that everything worked out - all's well that ends well.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hello and welcome to our online community!

Without technical information about your trailer it can be a tough go. Good news, on the web site home page go to the header on the left, labeled “Travel Trailers”. Click on it and at the bottom of the pop up list is Oliver University. If you look there you will find a downloadable pdf of the owners manual. Under the Components label you will find the same type files for your systems and componets. I have all of the files for our trailer loaded onto my iPad. I also have technical information that Jason Essary has put out in bulletin format.

There is quite a bit of user experience type of info on the forum and some good folks who step up to help.

Safe and Happy Travels!

George and Gretchen

• Thanks 2

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

Glad to see you got your awning in, I can see where that could happen. I was told to only crank out the awning to where the white was solid, there is a line there where the color changes. I purchased these poles on Amazon to stabilize the awning, tested them last week and they work great. They are tent poles by Green Elephant , they have a 1/4" pin at the top and a pad that slides over it, this is for padding on the tent, but I use it as a means to hold the awning to the poles. I did have to drill a hole in the awning cover on the bottom side about 4" from the ends. I also installed a rubber grommet to make a nice fit for the rod on the end of the poles. If you want pics just ask, I can do that.  Here are the poles I used.  https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephant-Telescoping-Tarp-Poles/dp/B072K1B91Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2VBYYNKHC6CZ0&keywords=green+elephant+telescoping+tarp+poles+set+of+2&qid=1567705986&s=gateway&sprefix=green+elep%2Caps%2C175&sr=8

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.