Water Heater will not work on LP, but works on Electric

Trainman

We just did our second camping outing (worked fine on the first camping trip and at delivery day) and now the water heater will not work on LP gas, but works just fine on electric. I did first check the fuse panel and that fuse is good, then I went to the water heater switch and the power is going thru the switch ok, that is the on an off power is flowing correctly thru the switch when turned on and off, but the red light does not come on as it should on startup. I went outside to listen for the clicking sound, but none. There is no gas smell, no nothing. I'm now wondering if the control module is bad, I do not see any reset button for it, but only see the reset for the electric on the water heater outside. Our water heater is the standard water heater not the instant one, so if anyone has any ideas about this let me know, thanks, trainman

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Have you positively confirmed you have gas pressure? Can you light the stove? Does switching tanks have any effect? If you have a three way refrigerator and disconnect the shore power, does it go to gas, or DC? If it goes to DC you have no propane. Try flipping the switch for the heater a couple of times to "wake it up".

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Trainman

Another fine thing that happen to me along with everything else. I had your same problem. Under the bed area where the water heater is you should see a small grey box that is you’re circuited board. Easy to take out. Service told me to look for a Burn mark on the board common problem. My board didn’t have a burn mark. I followed the wiring from the heater about 6-8in in the harness the wires will have crimped connections. I believe it was the red wire was pulled out of the crimp, reconnected and the water heater worked fine. Good luck and if this is the problem let service know. Thanks I have hull #484

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

We haven't had the traditional water heater for a long time, but I remember ours had a switch outside to change from gas to electric. It wasn't automatic.

But our water heater was a 2008 model...

Just a thought.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Trainman,

My concern was similar but may not be a good match. The first night following our pickup, July 18th, we had the same concern. In our case we were able to return the next day to Oliver. As it turned out there was a part not properly connected under the starboard berth. They quickly discovered the bad connection and the problem was solved. We have been on the road since pickup and admittedly we have only used the propane once or twice, but it worked.

I would like to think my situation may be helpful, but I can see it may not.

Take care,

John

I think it is probably a bad board.... welcome to the newly founded Suburban Bad Board Club.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/suburban-hot-water-heater-failed-a-dealer-repair-story-and-lesson/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The new controller did not correct the problem with the water heater. Since we decided we needed to make to fall trip to Arkansas and Tennessee we just spoke with Jason at Oliver service and he said it was ok to come by at our convenience and he could take care of the water heater problem. I know I could just take it to a local dealer in the DFW area, but they are booked solid for sometime and I personally don't want a dealer not familiar with an Oliver to work on our trailer, especially when I think it is an electrical problem, but that's just my guess, not really sure. I thought I would possibly wait till the rally next year, but since we need the gas for boondocking  and we need a fall road trip, what the heck, let's go.

trainman

• 4 months later...

Trainman, I was reading through older topics and thought I would bounce this question off of you and others. Got to Florida yesterday. Dewinterized and everything was good to go on suburban water heater. We had great hot water. This morning no hot water. It goes from warm to cold and back to warm and cold. I have tried both electric and gas. Pretty much same results. The red light on the inside of the Oliver II does not turn on that indicates it is heating. I have called service and am awaiting call back. Anybody got any ideas?

If you are switching back and forth between electricity and gas you should go with one or the other,  Not sure if I can explain it correctly, but I was on electricity and tried to switch to gas and wondered why the gas heater would not fire up, reason was the water in the water heater was too hot and the thermostat would bock this from happening. The gas should fire up as soon as the water heater temperature goes down either by using the hot water, or the temperature drops and lets the gas heater fire up. Not sure if this is your problem, hope it helps. 

trainman

• Like 1

So, I believe that problem is fixed. Richie, from Oliver Service called me back. He ask that when I dewinterized did I turn the cold/hot dials completely off on the outside shower when I dewinterized. I went and check and I had not. So fast forward an hour later, I now have hot water. I hope it was that simple of a fix. Hats off to Richie and Oliver Service.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, dbp05ret said:

So, I believe that problem is fixed. Richie, from Oliver Service called me back. He ask that when I dewinterized did I turn the cold/hot dials completely off on the outside shower when I dewinterized. I went and check and I had not. So fast forward an hour later, I now have hot water. I hope it was that simple of a fix. Hats off to Richie and Oliver Service.

Don't you just hate that? It is a VERY common RV problem and most people will experience it ONE time. After figuring out what is wrong, you will never do it again. It is very embarrassing. It happened to me too - I could not get more than luke-warm water, maybe 105 degrees, since it was continually sucking  cold water into the hot system through the outside shower head controls.

You have learned your lesson, now you can be the one to tell the next new Ollie owner what to do.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.