Oliver Forums Discussion Manual

jam49

I just have to have a manual in my hands. I would like permission to compile a manual of all the fabulous discussions concerning the different topics - suction cups, batteries, solar panels, windows, etc. There are so many helpful contributions that I envision printing the discussion for each topic and alphabetizing the manual so that when a person wants to know about something all the person has to do is turn to the keyword. Because it would be looseleaf, updates could always be made. There are just many wonderful, helpful discussions that I want to be able to turn to wherever instead of hunting online. All discussion, contributions, etc to this topic is appreciated. jam49

Still waiting! Spring break hurry up! Maybe the understorage will be available before the Oliver construction crew begins mine. jam49

• Moderators

Great discussion you guys ! Sounds like we might need a new sub forum for MANUALS, DOCCUMENTS & DIAGRAMS.

That could be used as an on line master catalog, with each owner printing as needed.

Our member Steve, SCUBARX, might have an intrest in that also. He is a whiz at spread sheets, ect. ect.. 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Tom and Meanderthal,

Thanks for the thoughts! Yes I do have sharing in mind. I love the idea of an online manual but that is way over my head. I know it will take a while to put this paper manual together. Maybe after I get it organized the way I envision, somebody who is tech savy can help me post an online manual so those persons reading it can print only what is of interest to him/her. I hope this manual will become useful to anybody who reads it. When I started on my journey of exploring Oliver Travel Trailers, I had so many questions (still have some). I think a manual such as this could help all of us looking for discussions on a particular topic. I love using the computer to explore. It has been very useful and I can get answers a whole lot faster.

I don't even know how to have the text move over so that I can retype something! What I want to say is that me putting the manual online is way over my head. I have already started putting the manual together.

Even though my Oliver hasn't been born yet its name is REVILO 5. Thanks and I welcome any comments, suggestions, criticism, etc. JAM49

• Moderators

Each equipment manufacturer, or most of them anyway, have an online manual for their own particular piece of equipment. A clickable link to each one, so the end user could print it out as needed maybe ?

For example Fiberglassrv has this very informative and useful page just full of links. It is so useful that several online forums link to it. This link is from casita club:

http://casitatrailer.com/

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Tom,

As I sit here at my computer and try to organize my vision, I keep referring to the forum. I can't imagine any better way to learn about Oliver and related topics than through the Oliver forum. It was never my intention to bypass, delete, change, etc. The forum is too much fun and I look forward to reading all the posts, enjoying the goodnatured dialog and learning so much from the educational contributions. As I looked at the forum categories earlier I got to wondering if it would be possible to organize the forum topics online alphabetically to use as a reference guide. I have to hunt through a lot of topics to find the one I want to read again (such as solar panels - portable, now or later install.) If the capability was online for the individual viewer to categorize alphabetically, this could be the answer to me having organization and finding what I want to look at again. I think it is an excellent idea that Mountainborn has about posting manufacturer websites, documents, and diagrams. Additionally I love the photo postings. I tried to key in the information in Excel, go to email and copy the text as an attachment but I didn't get anywhere so I will be glad to take you up on your offer of technical assistance and any other help. My number one purpose is organization in a way that others including myself can get to the information desired quickly. I don't have a lot of time to hunt on the computer for the information I want. I hope have explained a little better what it is that I am trying to do. As usual, thanks to all for the suggestions, thoughts, etc, Jam49

Tom,

Since I haven't seen the Oliver manual yet and not knowing how to transfer typed information from a spread sheet, I decided to share my idea here for further critique, etc. (not inclusive of all that can be, just what I have thought of so far)

A - Antisway equipment

B - Back up system

Batteries

Boondocking - why this or that is better for Oliver

Brake controller

Bumper pins

C- Cables

Cell phone booster

Cover for Oliver

D -

E - Electrical

Entertainment system

F - Flooring - length and width interior

Freshwater tank

G - Gel coat

Generator - Gas, diesel

Graphics

Gray water tank

H -

I - Inverter / Charger

J,K

L - Lights

Halogen

LED

M - Mattress

Microwave

Monitor

N

O - Online websites

P - Photo upload

Power

Propane

Q - Quick connect

R - Registration

refrigerator

S - Sacrificial Anode

Satellite system

Shower hose - benfit of Oxygenic, regular

Solar panel system

Suction cup

T - Tires

Thermostat

TV swing arm

Trailer tongue storage basket

Telescoping trailer tongue

Twelve volt plugs

U

V - Ventilation

W - Water filtration

Water heater

Window panes - single or double

Weight - Oliver

Winterizing

X,Y,Z.

I hope to be able to view the Oliver manual online someday and use this one (if it happens) as a supplementary using the wonderful online posts. Everybody please join in yea or nea, this or that added, deleted or added to. Thanks for yall's help. Jam49

Hi Tom,

Yes your idea makes sense. For people like me who have a lot to learn, maybe it won't be too much work to have a "tree structure" and an alphabetical list some how under the tree to call attention to topics that are important but may be overlooked. Maybe curiosity would cause somebody else like me to research an important topic such as the sacrificial anode that I might have not discovered for a while. To me a water heater was a water heater until ------I learned about the sacrificial anode and the importance of it relating to water heaters. To save space online I think it would be good, with permission of the posters, to have the relevant discussion in the manual and not the goodnatured banter unless others think it necessary. Strictly thoughts for discussion. My hope is that this manual will additionally have the extra "tips" (keep the rv level when storing, check the battery water level?, check the voltage? etc. These are a few more of my thoughts. With all the wonderful expertise out there this can't help but be a most useful manual (strictly my opinion.)Thanks,Jam49

• Moderator+

I agree with you, a manual with all the tips and ideas would be great. Use what info you need and disregard the rest. I guess we could create another forum named maybe Oliver manuals. Under that we could add topics "A" thru "Z". Under each topic we could add our info. It wouldn't be in strict alpha order rather as how they were entered under each letter, but it would make searching easier. What about that, Larry? \

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve,

I love your idea of Oliver Manual Forum. I sure don't want the spontenaity? of the forum to go away. it is too much fun reading the new posts and topics that come up. Maybe the posted topics could eventually be moved somehow to the tree/alphabetical design for ease of searching for information. Keep the suggestions coming! Jam49

• Moderators

Just an idea, but you might try putting some of your topics into the search window at the top right of each page. For example: the search string "Sacrificial Anode", brought up three pages of returns where it had been mentioned on these forums. A similar search over on Casita Club might return many more pages of discussions on the subject.

Each of the links in our signature line below, is to a forum that has a similar search feature where these topics are discussed and can be searched for.

Many forums have a links page where if you need info about something, say, water heaters, there is a link to each manufacturer's on line manual. But it won't, in most cases, give tips such as being careful to hold the anode level to get it to thread up easily. I think that those end user's "hands on" tips may be the most valuable information, leaving the parts and users manual information to each manufacturer ?

• Moderators

I just tried your topic "Brake Controller" in the search window and got back 33 returns on 4 pages of Brake Controller discussion. The search feature is a pretty powerful tool that is in place that will fetch those tips and hints that a manufacturer's manual or parts diaghram can't ever begin to describe.

• Moderators

A search for solar panel system brought up eighten conversations that included the parts numbers, manufacturers full name and the end users contact info.

Mountainborn,

Why didn't I ask you first? I am no techie and I am learning a lot. I just didn't want to lose all the good information. Using the search engine seems to be the answer. You got way ahead of me on the technical stuff. If that information is needed in depth searching, googling and best of all, asking for the expertise of the Oliver forum crew seems to be the way to go. No use inventing something that is already there - just a little different than I had in my mind. It seems like the best thing to do would be to scrap the online manual

except for a real Oliver manual or the DVD and go for TIPS. Thanks for the input. Jam49

Tom,

Mountainborn suggested the search engine to find the topics of interest. It sure makes sense to me as I learn how to find the topics I want to read. Before you go to the trouble of what I originally thought was a good idea can you see a use for a manual that is more efficient than the search engine? What are your thoughts on a TIPS forum? If a post doesn't necessarily have TIPS in it how would it be called up? Jam49

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this topic and was trying to compare this forum to many of the other forums that I frequent(many Jeep forums, Toyota Tundra, motorcycle, flyfishing, etc). Most forums use a 'sticky post' that keeps a FAQ at the top of page. This FAQ often has common modifications, DIY maintenance items, etc and each item is hyperlinked to either the original thread discussion in the forum or to a separate document if it is necessary. A great example of this is on the Toyota Tundra forum. I believe this link should work for people, even if not a member....hopefully.

Putting together this kind of document is super handy and allows users to very easily and quickly research the most common items that we have questions about. I realize we have the search function, however it doesn't always work as efficiently as it could. After doing a search, I often spend much more time weeding through all the results and then having to compile my own interpretation of all the results. Having a simple sticky post the covers our most common questions/solutions, mods, upgrades, maintenance items, etc would be great.

What do you all think?

Kyle

Kyle,

You worded my thoughts better than I could. If we want oodles of information we could use the search engine and with a manual with the description you gave the reader would get a simple? answer for a particular topic question without having to decipher as you made point of. I love to read the travel trailer magazines and I have been tearing out the tips column. I have the tips, dream accessories, etc. organized in my own put together of this and that travel trailer manual. Now that I have found my dream trailer, I can sort through the tips that I can use and get rid of the rest that won't apply. I love the tip about holding the sacrificial anode exactly straight - who would have known except by someone with experience. Thanks to all who are contributing to this endeavor no matter how it turns out. It is such a pleasure communicating on the Oliver forum because everybody is so polite and well-mannered. jam49

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

This is my third try to send you a message. I submitted the PM but nothing is showing that it went anywhere so here are a few topics that I searched that had a number of posts: gas quick connect, inverter, lighting, microwave, thermostat, tires, travel trailer empty weight, vents, water filtration. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Thanks for your help. Jam49

• 3 months later...

Hi Tom and Karen,

I'm sorry that others didn't think an online manual would be too helpful. I am back to searching each post to find the information I need to review. Oh well. Where do you go to insert hull number, tv, etc? I looked on the profile but couldn't tell where to add this. Thanks,jam49

• 2 months later...

Manuals,

My desire for a manual is one that covers A to Z explained in simple language so that it could be referred to as one is learning about the Oliver travel trailer. When the need arose for me to manually raise the leveling jacks I was at a loss to remember exactly how to do this even though Robert told me at the factory. Chris and Cherie to the rescue! If I would have had a manual describing the different areas I wouldn't have had to bother anybody but could have figured it out myself. I will never be the technical wizard for electricity, plumbing, etc so that kind of manual wouldn't help me. Just an introductory manual and hints, suggestions,

such as if the battery runs down you can manually raise the leveling jacks, and this is how you do it. I am willing to help put such a manual together for all to use who need such but I would need help posting,etc. Just a thought. j