Mud daubers in roof mount AC

Kgeb

So our summer has been jammed paced with responsibilities and not enough camping.  I went out this afternoon to spruce up for a couple that is interested in buying an Oliver.

Turned on the AC horrible noise and vibration.  Looked on top and the unit was wild.

Long story short, mud daubers infested the unit. Unscrewed the white cover removed nests. Unit runs properly.

2 issues:

1.  Screws will not tighten when putting the white top back

2. Need to know what the model is to order a cover to prevent mud daubers from getting side the unit.

Thanks in advance,

karen Gebhardt #441

• Moderators

I don't think you should need a new cover, personally. It all fit for before.

The shrouds ( covers) are kind of pricey, if that's what you're discussing.

A mud dauber's nest shouldn't push anything out of alignment.

Do you have any photos?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The plastic white cover is fine,  I was referring to the covers that cover the whole AC unit.  They run about $25.00 but I need the model to order the correct size 2019 Elite II.

The white cover is aligned and the acres into the holes they just don’t tighten keep spinning?‍♀️

• Moderators

I think I misunderstood your original post. Looks like you're looking for a storage cover that covers the shroud of the outside unit?

From the info on Oliver University, looks like you have a Dometic Penguin II. You can verify that with the model serial number plate... that's probably visible both up top, and under the inside cover.

Or, just call Oliver Service, to be sure. You'll probably want to call them anyway, about your bolts spinning. Either something isn't properly aligned, or some threads are stripped.

Obviously, you want to get the outside shroud securely fastened before you take another trip. I'm still not all that clear on what you've removed, initially. Sorry.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The screws that hold the white cover on are self tapping, your options if they’re stripped out are, using a slightly larger self tapping screw, or drilling new holes, either option works just fine.

As for as a cover for the ac I can’t help you, I had a bird nesting in mine recently, I find it just as easy removing the cover semi annually to clean, while i’m waxing, as opposed to getting a cover, you have to get up there either way.

Steve

STEVEnBETTY