New Defender with 8,200lb towing capacity

Overland

It's been along time coming, and it certainly isn't the classic slab-sided offroader of the past, but it packs quite a few features and it tows.  In fact, the towing assist features seem to be on par with what we've seen from Ford and GM, which is quite a surprise.  This might not look too bad in front of an Ollie. It has a surprisingly reasonable base price as well.  Of course, you can option it out probably close to $100k if you want.  But I just built an extremely capable one with all the offroad gizmos I could choose and the bigger engine and it came out almost exactly the same price as my raptor.

• Thanks 1

Biggest letdown for me is no adaptive cruise unless I go for the $100k top end build option.  Second would be the 23 gallon tank feeling a little small for towing.  Other than that, looks great - nice to see some non bling wheels on an SUV.

Between Olivers…

Biggest letdown for me is no adaptive cruise unless I go for the $100k top end build option. Second would be the 23 gallon tank feeling a little small for towing. Other than that, looks great – nice to see some non bling wheels on an SUV.

Yeah I had to look twice at those steel wheels.

You can get the adaptive cruise on the other models - just add it as a stand alone option.  I think the biggest limit on building one a la carte is that you've got to go with the SE model to get the bigger engine.  So, starting at $62 I think?

But actually, I just checked the specs and they say 8200lbs towing with the smaller engine.  At roughly 300hp/300lbft I guess that's doable.  It wouldn't be the peppiest tv but at least it's a turbo so it should keep its power at elevation.  With the smaller engine, I can option one out for $62k that I'd be perfectly happy with.

Yeah, something isn't right there.  Other unibody SUVs have higher tongue weight limits and you'd think that with tow hooks on the back, that the rear end would have to be pretty beefy anyway.  The limit can't be the suspension since it has a 2000lb cargo capacity.  It's got to be something with their hitch, assuming the number's not a mistake.

You can get the adaptive cruise on the other models – just add it as a stand alone option.

I didn't scroll down enough--cool.

For tongue weight - I checked the German brochure and they are quoting 150KG so the 330lbs checks.   What they didn't do was figure how the US loading (10%) differs from EU (people tow here with 5% tongue weight all day).  Expect one of the two numbers to change (Towing/tongue).  Some cars get more tongue rating in the US, some get less tow rating.

Between Olivers…

• 11 months later...

Here’s the Ike Gauntlet run for the Defender. The main drawbacks seem to be the lack of a tow haul mode for the transmission and no factory brake controller.  Pros are the handling, power, and self leveling suspension.  All together they rate it highly. It looks like it would be a good fit for an Elite II.

• Like 3

Our BMW X5d (x-drive) lists a 600# tongue capacity, but with a tow capacity of 6,600# (a bit shy of towing the Elite II).  Perhaps that's the 10% US standard and the Land Rover is rated at the German 5%. 

We don't plan to tow with the BMW - if we did, we'd opt for the Elite I.  I don't want to wear out my everyday vehicle, especially since BMW no longer sells the diesel model, at least not in the US; they do, however have a hybrid.

I think we will pass on the Land Rover and keep our F-350 SD 4wd crew cab with tow package, including integrated brake controller, which has the capability of towing 2 Elite II's! 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, WhatDa said:

For tongue weight - I checked the German brochure and they are quoting 150KG so the 330lbs checks.   What they didn't do was figure how the US loading (10%) differs from EU (people tow here with 5% tongue weight all day).  Expect one of the two numbers to change (Towing/tongue).  Some cars get more tongue rating in the US, some get less tow rating.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg