see Updates below

Update:  some have reported back that the holder now shipping doesn’t fit the new 7pin plugs Oliver now uses. The plugs a MM bigger than the holder. 

An alternative is to tuck your 7 pin up under the fiberglass cowling on the tongue.  The 7 pin fits snugly there out of the rain for storage.  

This afternoon my wife said....

"I noticed the
tail lights of the trailer on this morning.
 It's not hooked to the truck.  Are they supposed to be on?"

When I went out to look and sure enough the rear tail lights were on.

I went immediately to look first at the "emergency brake" switch and then at the front 7 pin connector...which has a "rubber cover" on it to keep water out.

We had 2" of rain in the past day and that rubber 7pin cover did a much better job of keeping the water in.

I drained the connector, blew it out and dried it with air.  Then cleaned it and lubricated it with electrical silicone grease.

The lights are no longer on.

I'm assuming this was a draw from the house batteries through that connector.

Passing along if of any use to folks in the future.

If there's a similar post somewhere I didn't find it in a quick search.

Craig Short

• Thanks 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

It’s been talked about before, but it’s good to have it brought up again for people who haven’t experienced it. It is odd to go out and see your trailer lights mysteriously glowing.

If it’s any consolation, Airstream owners consider this a ‘feature’ and they’ll even purposefully short out the plug to keep their exterior lights on.

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

You can clean and dry the inside of the connector and the wire attach points with alcohol and a soft brush (or use spray contact cleaner). Then seal up the cables where they enter the back of the cover with silicone sealer. If you keep the plug dangling down when not in use, it will stay relatively dry inside.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Thanks for the tips...I'll clean and seal it later today.

I'll also be using a couple zip ties to make a simple holder on the tongue under the "basket" so I can stow the plug our of the rain.

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

For the last 50 years I have just let my trailer plugs hang down, I also try to store it somewhere under the trailer tongue where it is somewhat protected from rain, etc. I give it a shot of electronic grease every year or so, always works for me. I was thinking of purchasing a plug cover, but then thought why, 50 years and no problems.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I've done a modification to add an Optronics 7-Way trailer harness plug protector.

Here's the link to the part I used from e-trailer.(Including shipping and tax < $10

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Plug-Covers/Optronics/ACP7B.html

Screen-Shot-2019-09-16-at-3_10.43-PM.thumb.png.23f135c689b0e1af20aa80c5b952921d.png

And here's where I mounted it...on the back of my Tongue Box.

I used stainless #10 bolts to mount the unit.

It could be mounted with zip ties to the bottom of the tongue as well if you don't want to drill holes.

IMG_2214.jpg.f82325a98c273684affd091f1b5263aa.jpg

The cover is a semi rigid type of rubber material but with enough flex to make it easy to insert or remove with one hand.

In any case, I switched to this after my original "rubber cover" leaked.

• Thanks 4

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2019 at 3:29 AM, John E Davies said:

You can clean and dry the inside of the connector and the wire attach points with alcohol and a soft brush (or use spray contact cleaner). Then seal up the cables where they enter the back of the cover with silicone sealer. If you keep the plug dangling down when not in use, it will stay relatively dry inside.

Hi, John, 

Does this mean you take the connector apart?  We started having this problem recently, I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and applied dielectric grease, to no avail.  We still have the phantom taillights, so I thought the moisture must have gotten inside.  We always keep the plug dangling down, so I am unsure why all of a sudden we're having this issue.

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

31 minutes ago, Liana said:

We always keep the plug dangling down, so I am unsure why all of a sudden we're having this issue.

If you keep the plug dangling down but didn’t seal the cable where it enters the back of the plug as John mentioned, then water can still get in there.  

2 hours ago, Liana said:

Hi, John, 

Does this mean you take the connector apart?  We started having this problem recently, I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and applied dielectric grease, to no avail.  We still have the phantom taillights, so I thought the moisture must have gotten inside.  We always keep the plug dangling down, so I am unsure why all of a sudden we're having this issue.

don't know if this is relevant or not, but i've noticed that if i hit the door lock button on the door handle of my pickup, the rear lights on the Ollie flicker. but if I lock the truck with the key fob, it doesn't do that. my trick is a GMC, yours is a Chevy, so, maybe?

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cameron said:

don't know if this is relevant or not, but i've noticed that if i hit the door lock button on the door handle of my pickup, the rear lights on the Ollie flicker. but if I lock the truck with the key fob, it doesn't do that. my trick is a GMC, yours is a Chevy, so, maybe?

I'd say you may have a moisture problem somewhere,  also. Possibly. 

In Liana's case,,her connector may be shot. Some work with a multimeter can give a better picture. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, Galway Girl said:

I've done a modification to add an Optronics 7-Way trailer harness plug protector.

I bought an Optronics 7-way trailer harness plug for our new Elite II.  But, the opening is too small for the 7-way female plug Oliver installed on our Hull #1291.  I had to increase the inside diameter of the plug protector by about 1mm, using a small drum sander chucked into a Mototool, to enable the factory 7-way plug to fit into the inside the plug protector.

So, be prepared to modify the Optronics plug protector for use with an Oliver.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

The previous owner of my Ollie showed me the following storage procedure after he had a problem with the Ollie lights being on: Costs nothing.

If you look at where the Oliver fiberglass hull is near the trailer's tongue, you will see there is a gap between the fiberglass and the trailer frame. This gap is big enough for the trailer plugs to fit up into and out of the weather. I have never had a problem with moisture or rain water storing it this way.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

12 minutes ago, dewdev said:

If you look at where the Oliver fiberglass hull is near the trailer's tongue, you will see there is a gap between the fiberglass and the trailer frame. This gap is big enough for the trailer plugs to fit up into and out of the weather. I have never had a problem with moisture or rain water storing it this way.

Great tip!  I wish I had thought of that clever trick before I spent $10 on an Optronics plug protector, and an hour+ modifying and mounting it!

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Rivernerd:

I posted an update based on your feedback.   What a pain.  I wonder if the connector changed at the factory or if the holder inside dimensions changed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

I wonder if the connector changed at the factory or if the holder inside dimensions changed

I expect we will never know.  But, the clever trick posted by Dewdev above should enable anyone following this thread to avoid that issue in the future:  just tuck the 7-pin female connector between the aluminum frame and the fiberglass housing!

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, dewdev said:

The previous owner of my Ollie showed me the following storage procedure after he had a problem with the Ollie lights being on: Costs nothing.

For us locationally impaired, would you be so kind as to post a picture of your wonderful approach?

Mahalo

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

For us locationally impaired, would you be so kind as to post a picture of your wonderful approach?

See attached photos.   The first was shot from the side of the trailer A-frame.  The second was shot from underneath.986664509_7PinStorageFromTheSide.thumb.jpg.56d426cb0b347363595d810637df4bfd.jpg

1109231671_7PinStorageFromUnderneath.thumb.jpg.073302dbb0d62bf8540f17c95c56aca0.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

That's amazing!  I shall implement your suggestion.  Thanks   GJ

image.png.fe3ff87ab2d7f6e237f328696ec052dc.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

That's amazing!  I shall implement your suggestion.  Thanks   GJ

dewdev gets the credit for the suggestion.  I just shot the photos!

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Rvernerd:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Your pictures are exactly how I do it. 

When first using the Ollie In 2018, the moisture problem (rear lights on) appeared. Tried a holder bracket mounted to the front storage bin but that was not the best approach. Have not had a problems since implementing the mentioned storage location.
If the cord is not plugged into the TV it is stored in this location 100% of the time.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine