Well, it's been a year...

BigTexas

We picked up Hull #306 April of last year.

Since then we've put about 5K miles on the trailer, including a recent trip to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons; and we absolutely love it. We previously had a Casita 17 Deluxe. The Oliver LEII is everything we wished for in the Casita and more. We've been part of the fiberglass community for some time and were accustomed to the curiosity people have for these trailers. However, we never get tired of the universal “wow” people express when they step inside an Oliver.

I want to give a special shout out to “Jam49” who left a kind note on our windshield in Blanco, Tx. They spotted our trailer parked in the square. Made the block and left a note just to say hi to a follow “Oliverian”. And the woman with the pink Boler, who waved at us from the service road, somewhere in Colorado as we sped by. What can I say; fiberglass people share a kindred spirit.

I don’t post much, but have benefited from this forum for the past year.

Thank you to those who share their experiences here.

Judy and I live in Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx (yes there are at least two Olivers here) which is just North of San Antonio.

We’re looking forward to the miles ahead.

• Thanks 6

Big Texas – 2018 Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #306

2015 RAM 1500 3L EcoDiesel, Anderson hitch

• Moderator+
...Judy and I live in Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx (yes there are at least two Olivers here) which is just North of San Antonio...

There are a total of three in your neck of the woods.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We picked up Hull #306 April of last year.

Since then we’ve put about 5K miles on the trailer, including a recent trip to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons; and we absolutely love it. We previously had a Casita 17 Deluxe. The Oliver LEII is everything we wished for in the Casita and more. We’ve been part of the fiberglass community for some time and were accustomed to the curiosity people have for these trailers. However, we never get tired of the universal “wow” people express when they step inside an Oliver.

I want to give a special shout out to “Jam49” who left a kind note on our windshield in Blanco, Tx. They spotted our trailer parked in the square. Made the block and left a note just to say hi to a follow “Oliverian”. And the woman with the pink Boler, who waved at us from the service road, somewhere in Colorado as we sped by. What can I say; fiberglass people share a kindred spirit.

I don’t post much, but have benefited from this forum for the past year.

Thank you to those who share their experiences here.

Judy and I live in Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx (yes there are at least two Olivers here) which is just North of San Antonio.

We’re looking forward to the miles ahead.[/

It is so much fun visiting with fellow Oliverians and I was disappointed that I couldn't wait till yall returned to your trailer. I was headed to San Antonio to meet my brother as we had some things to take care of for our mother. I have to say the Oliver family and other fiberglass trailer owners are the nicest people a person could want to meet. Revilo is begging me to take another trip. Here's to many happy adventures in your future.

• Thanks 3

BigTexas, I’m curious about your experience in towing with the ecodiesel. Has it provided sufficient power? Do you have sufficient payload? Do you have sufficient engine braking on syeep downhills? Have you tracked average towing mpg? If you were purchasing a new tow vehicle, might it be a new ecodiesel (or the Ford equivalent)? In advance, thanks for your insights.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I've been happy with the ecodiesel as a TV. It's very comfortable with the Oliver on the back. The truck actually rides a little better. Mileage wise, we averaged 17.6 mpg up and back on our Yellowstone trip, towing. Without the trailer it averages 27mpg combination city/highway. The greatest benefit to the mileage is the range. We can get over 400 miles on a tank with the trailer attached, which means we only need to fill-up once per day (usually at lunch for us); which far outlasts my bladder. It does great in the mountains. The turbo means you don't loose much power at altitude. Climbing over the passes in the Rockies, we could easily hold 50mph without too much down shifting. Coming down was easier. I usually selected 4th or 5th gear which holds the rig to 45 - 50 mph. Rarely had to touch the brakes.

If I have a complaint, it is that it is quick but not fast. What I mean by that is, when passing another vehicle which is traveling fairly fast, it will jump into the passing lane with authority but as you get much over 85 there isn't much more speed availalbe and you can find yourself waiting for the trailer to clear the vehicle you're passing. I think the Hemi version of the truck doesn't have this issue. But I have found that if I need to go 90 to pass someone, do I really need to pass them?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report. How fast are you typically driving to get to the 17.6 mpg average? Is the 50+/- mph going up passes truly comfortable (or is the engine straining)? Last week we drove our 9,000 lb Sprinter up a long driveway with a 10-12% grade — do you think your combo make it up the hill? I realize the 3/4 ton would likely not strain at all, but I’m highly encouraged by the fuel mileage and the range that you’ve achieved with the half-ton. Thanks again.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Where the law allows, I usually set the cruise control at 75.  Truck and trailer seem pretty happy at that speed.  West of me the speed limit on I-10 is 80 but I usually stay at 75 as a max cruise speed.  I'm always impressed how cool the tires and hubs stay even at those speeds on a hot day.   Fuel mileage gets better at higher altitudes.  I've noticed the same thing on my motorcycle trips. (someone smarter than me will need to explain why) When we brought the trailer home form Tenn. we averaged 16-ish which was all lower altitude drivng.

We encountered a couple of 10 - 12% grades off the interstate.  The truck will settle into about a 40 mph-ish climb with the engine below 3K rpm so it's pretty drama free.  You're just not going very fast.

I think my expereince with the ecodiesel could be applied to any of the small diesels available now in the half-ton group.  The RAM was first in the class with a diesel so that's what I purchased.   But there is always a trade off.  Would a 3/4 ton as a TV be better? Absolutely.  However, this truck is my everyday driver so I find it a good compromise.

• Thanks 1