Glacier National Park, post season

John E Davies

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

Some great photos and tips here, in an older thread, for Glacier National Park.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Some great photos and tips here, in an older thread, for Glacier National Park.

week computer GIF

Indeed, worth the resurrection.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Some great information here for sure. My adult daughter asked to go to Glacier this year and this information is very helpful. Great advice on weather and bear awareness.  We camped north of Tucson last spring and prior to arrival the entrance road washed out and campers were stranded from several days. Plan ahead and expect the unexpected!

• Like 3

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

Visited Glacier summer of 1989, for the 100-year anniversary of the great State of Montana.

We did not have the means to go deeper into the park (should of had truck & trailer vs. a rental car out of Great Falls, MT) and on the surface, it felt like 100s of foreign tourists hovering the main entrance (I'm not good with crowds).

After some time and hiking up, and uphill to get close to a family of mountain goats, we decided time would be better spent elsewhere in Montana (lesson is this NP visit takes some real planning). We then backpack hiked and camped 4 nights in the Bob Marshall wilderness (still have the printed relief maps) and had an amazing, yes wonderful, time on three sides of Flathead Lake.

We met a 3rd generation Montana family at a bar & grill on the east side, had so much fun that they invited us to board their boat to cross the lake. We accepted their invitation to stay the night at their summer home on the west shore. I still have a large, laminated map of Flathead Lake in our game room today. Flathead is the largest freshwater lake west off the ol' Miss!

OMG it's now 35 years later! We gotta go back again, this time camping in the Oliver!

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
11 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I'm not good with crowds

Glad to know yet another member of this "club".    I've always guessed that there are a fair number of us as owners of a camper that is not afraid of getting away from those crowds.

Yes, Glacier can be absolutely wonderful (as can be most of the other more popular National Parks  to certainly include Yellowstone) but they can be terribly crowded.  As you mention - planning is the key in order to navigate in and around these crowds and still see the more popular spots AND really enjoy those spots in these Parks that are rarely seen by the "crowds".

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

23 hours ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

Some great information here for sure. My adult daughter asked to go to Glacier this year and this information is very helpful...

Last night I posted re an experience we had, a good old memory. I meant to finish with one more line. Wishing your daughter has the most wonderful experience on her adventure!

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!