Jack points

geO

Next time I just take the tires off and drop them off. Oy. Like some here have mentioned they really don't have all the necessary good equipment to reach that high into the frame. I marked and told they guy where to jack, but he ended up jacking right in the spring connection point. And he even said he didn't want to do that. 

Shaking head. 

So, if this can be a somewhat common issue at certain tire shop locations, the height problem that is, I wonder if Oliver could weld on specific jack plates that drop down from the primary frame, about two inches. That way there is never a question from where to jack. 

Thoughts?

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

33 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Next time I just take the tires off and drop them off. Oy. Like some here have mentioned they really don't have all the necessary good equipment to reach that high into the frame. I marked and told they guy where to jack, but he ended up jacking right in the spring connection point. And he even said he didn't want to do that. 

Shaking head. 

So, if this can be a somewhat common issue at certain tire shop locations, the height problem that is, I wonder if Oliver could weld on specific jack plates that drop down from the primary frame, about two inches. That way there is never a question from where to jack. 

Thoughts?

Use your onboard  stabilizers AKA jacks to lift all the tires clear of the ground, have the store tech place his hydraulic ones under each axle. 

This isn’t exactly rocket science. Lots of us do this, but never ever crawl underneath without additional supports.

But it is easier to just take the wheels down there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:22 PM, MAX Burner said:

Our set of Gorilla Lugs arrived from Summit Racing a few days ago

Can you post a Summit Racing Part number or number for the Gorilla Lugs?  Just want to ensure I get the right ones when I make my order.

Thanks!

Brian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Use your onboard  stabilizers AKA jacks to lift all the tires clear of the ground, have the store tech place his hydraulic ones under each axle. 

This isn’t exactly rocket science. Lots of us do this, but never ever crawl underneath without additional supports.

But it is easier to just take the wheels down there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Unfortunately we were not on level ground, otherwise I would have done at least one side at a time. But, it worked out. New shoes are on Wayfinder.  

• Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

@Brian and Brandelyne:  They're sold in a 4-pack, FYI.  I'm on travel now and they arrived since I've been away - here's a screenshot of the tracking page:

858726423_Screenshot2023-05-10at20_02_52.thumb.png.da9b628f5573a6342e297a1b39ba2e60.png

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

@MAX Burner  Thank you so much!  I use Summit Racing frequently and, little known fact, they own DX Engineering!

My wife and I visited DX Engineering when we went to the Rock and Roll HoF and the Ham Radio store is right in the middle of the flagship Summit Racing.

You cannot go wrong there!

BL

• Wow 1

18 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I use Summit Racing frequently and, little known fact, they own DX Engineering!

You definitely can't go wrong there!

That's a small world story if I've ever heard one.  We absolutely love the 43' vertical multi-band with the tilt mount from DXE - with 60+ radials for the counterpoise, it really brings in the contacts, brother!  I just need to get myself in gear and put it in place at our primary residence after bringing it back from the cabin a couple years ago - I know, probably TMI at the moment!  Certainly not trying to highjack the thread...  my bad!

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 5/1/2023 at 9:22 PM, MAX Burner said:

Also why on earth does any vehicle manufacturer use sleeved wheel nuts?

R&R'd the stock OTT wheel lug nuts with Gorilla Nuts this morning.  9 of the nuts were either cracked or have loose sleeves - all were rusty and dinged up.  $60 for GN's - peace of mind? Worth it, IMO.

IMG_7294.thumb.jpeg.75c79ddc2ee71e0c0c6fcafdee13f5f8.jpegWheel lugs.pdfOld Lug Nuts.pdf

• Like 1

spacer.png

5 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

9 of the nuts were either cracked or have loose sleeves

If the nut is cracked, that's really serious.  

But if just the "Look Pretty" sleeve is cracked, I'm less concerned.  Am I missing something?  Like it may not come off the lug for service/flats? 

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

If the nut is cracked, that's really serious.  

But if just the "Look Pretty" sleeve is cracked, I'm less concerned.  Am I missing something?  Like it may not come off the lug for service/flats? 

GJ

It's the "Look Pretty" sleeve that's cracked.  Some that aren't cracked are loose - my thought is that the sleeve could fail before the nut torque is decreased and the nut couldn't be removed without special tools that we, in particular, do not carry.  I believe another Forum member had this happen - the sleeve failed during a flat tire exchange and would slip/spin around the actual nut making it not possible to remove with tools at hand.

• Like 1

spacer.png